PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop locks up when I try to change desktop background

XxPrismismxX
January 4th, 2011, 08:31 AM
After installing gnome-color-chooser for Ubuntu 10.10, I followed all the steps to enable transparent gnome menu. When I logged out and logged back into my user, the gnome panel menu was transparent as It should be however, the desktop background changed color and I cannot change the desktop by right clicking the desktop. If I do right click and try to, the entire desktop and all programs freeze. The mouse works but that is it. Whenever I try to open gnome-color-chooser, I get this error message : ERROR Could not open or create file /home/User/.gtkrc-2.0-gnome-color-chooser.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both gnome color chooser and gnome panel with no luck.

I have been using Ubuntu for a little over a month.

XxPrismismxX
April 20th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I figured out how to fix the desktop background issue from this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=814329

Changing the download location to main in software sources then going to update manager and installing the new packages did the trick.