PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Burning of ISO to CD

mac4rfree
January 4th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Hi Guys,

My first post and am very new to Linux OS. I already have Win7. Now i want to try Ubuntu.
So, i downloaded "ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent (http://releases.ubuntu.com/maverick/ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent)" from the Ubuntu site. When i tried to write the ISO file to the CD using Win7 burner first CD and also using Nero in the second CD.. Both the CD are not working.. It throwed some error while writing..

Am doing something wrong.. Anywys i am downloading the Ubuntu again using the torrent..

Thanks for your help in advance,
Magesh

foxmulder881
January 4th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Are you burning the iso as an image or data disc? It's a common mistake noobs do. You need to burn the iso to the disc as an image.

dino99
January 4th, 2011, 06:53 AM
welcome,

when burning, always use the lowest speed to do it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

mac4rfree
January 4th, 2011, 07:10 AM
@foxmulder, i tried to burn it as an image only...
@dino, i will try to burn it in the lowest speed again.. already spoiled 2 discs,,no harm in doing the third one.. :)

dino99
January 4th, 2011, 07:17 AM
if you can boot from usb, then instead of burning cd(s):

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/03/how-to-install-ubuntu-from-a-bootable-usb-drive/

sptrsn
January 4th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I can't tell you how many CD's I've thrown away. For whatever reason, this is not the most intuitive thing.

I have windows 7. Right mouse the ISO and select "Burn Disc Image." It should be the top menu item.

Forget about all other tools. Win7 finally made it easy.

Worked for me this last time. Didn't have to throw away any discs.

mac4rfree
January 4th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I tried with Win7 only... maybe the ISO image itslf cud hav corrupted i think so i am downloading again.. will try again.. otherwise i thought of going to create a boot USB as shown in the Ubuntu download site itself.. will keep you all posted..

foxmulder881
January 4th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I'd suggest a re-download of the iso. And then don't forget to verify it using md5.

nomko
January 4th, 2011, 09:58 AM
As an advice: don't use Brasero. It's my experience that Brasero isn't that stable and prone to crash. Even some issue's with the wodim application let Brasero crash.

Use K3B instead. When you start K3B there's at the bottom 3 icons. One of them is the Burn image button. Use that button to burn your image. Never burn an .iso image as data. This option burns the .iso image as it is, as pure data and you will end up with a disc that contains the .iso file. For your information: an .iso file is a compressed file, during the burning process, the file will be uncompressed and the uncompressed data will be bruned to the disc.

And like it was mentioned here, use a low burningspeed to avoid any burning problems. Also to give the burning application enough time to uncompress the .iso file and put the data in the cache before burning it to the disc.

mac4rfree
January 5th, 2011, 03:49 AM
One more CD went to dustbin.. :(
finally booted with USB,, somehow that seems to work.. so thanks guys... :)
Can somebody guide me how to close this thread... as it is done.. now..

foxmulder881
January 5th, 2011, 01:46 PM

Are you sure there's not an issue with your cd writer?

Only admins and mods can close threads. Perhaps just add a [SOLVED] tag to the thread title.

presence1960
January 5th, 2011, 06:27 PM

You can't close the thread. Mark it as "Solved" by using the Thread Tools link top right of the page.