PDA

View Full Version : If you hadn't used Ubuntu...

Minyaliel
April 25th, 2006, 07:00 PM
What Linux distro would you have used instead? Why? (Just curious)

fuscia
April 25th, 2006, 07:04 PM
i probably would have used netbsd, or freebsd. their handbooks are pretty good.

aysiu
April 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I'd still be using Mepis... and none of my questions would have been answered on the Mepis Lovers forum, and then I'd probably have just gone back to Windows XP.

Stormy Eyes
April 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I'd still be on Gentoo, because I had used it for a year and was familiar with it.

zubrug
April 25th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I'd still be using Mepis... and none of my questions would have been answered on the Mepis Lovers forum, and then I'd probably have just gone back to Windows XP.

same with linspire

briancurtin
April 25th, 2006, 07:39 PM
if be back on SuSE

super
April 25th, 2006, 07:43 PM
fedora. for the same reason as stormy, i had gotten pretty familiar with it.

gingermark
April 25th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Probably Yoper. I considered it, but chose Ubuntu instead as a first distro to try (well, actually I chose Debian, but that didn't go so well :))

GoA
April 25th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Windows XP. Ubuntu is the best of linux world.

bonzodog
April 25th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I would probably be using either FreeBSD or Slamd64, the 64 bit port of Slackware.

mjm115
April 25th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I would still be using Suse

ubuntu_demon
April 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM
probably windows XP for my primary desktop and debian for my pentium 3 (which is now my gateway and fileserser). Might have decided to dualboot windows XP with debian on my desktop ... who knows.

byen
April 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM
If not for Ubuntu I might still be using XP! I have tried many distributions back then and since I was so new to the world of linux, I had to idea how to configure my hardware and XP seemed to be an easy way out.Well... on a second thought, may be Fedora!
Phew! Glad I found Ubuntu! My OS Rocks!
~byen

unbuntu
April 25th, 2006, 08:57 PM
probably solaris

AlphaMack
April 25th, 2006, 09:18 PM
It would be a three way tie between staying with OS X, going to YDL, or Fedora.

htinn
April 25th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I'd probably be using Fedora Core and maybe looking at SuSE as a backup OS.

nickle
April 25th, 2006, 10:19 PM
suse

adamkane
April 25th, 2006, 11:12 PM
SuSE.

Before Ubuntu, it's hard to even remember why I wanted to use Linux.

unbuntu
April 25th, 2006, 11:22 PM
if be back on SuSE

I would still be using Suse

suse

SuSE

Is it just me or this thread can be renamed "who lost the biggest market share as a result of ubuntu"?:-D

rado_london
April 25th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I would go with slackware. It was my first Linux and it was funny

Mathias-K
April 25th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I'd be trying SUSE 10.1 when it comes out or Fedora Core 5 for it's beautiful bootsplash and default artwork.

Maybe i'll do that anyway.. :)

Donshyoku
April 25th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Probably still be dual-booting with WindowsXP... the Linux would probably be Fedora Core, the latest. The only problem is that I'd be using standard packages from thier extras discs.

Debian package management makes Linux so usable to me!

jc87
April 25th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Suse , Mandriva , Fedora Core , etc...

ComplexNumber
April 26th, 2006, 12:01 AM
well, i don't use ubuntu at the moment due to the minimalism of the distro (ie only one disk). but as a hypothetical question, i would suggest fedora core 5 because i think its a superb distro and caters much better for those who have no internet connection to their linux box.

stoeptegel
April 26th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Without kubuntu i think i wouldn't even have made learning linux so far, i would probably be the same frustated windows xp user i was in the last three years.

I tried some distro's the last two years, but nothing comes close to the community, support, vision and easyness of ubuntu. :KS

Gadren
April 26th, 2006, 12:43 AM

Likewise...I probably would have ended up getting frustrated and going to Debian after that.

MetalMusicAddict
April 26th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Unfortunately I'd probally be using XP. These forums have been invaluable for educating me on linux. I cannot express enough how great growing from Warty has been. :)

Piggah
April 26th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Most likely Fedora. I had experimented with it the most before trying out Ubuntu. I still really do like Fedora, and it's possible I may start using it again. Never know.

bored2k
April 26th, 2006, 01:41 AM
That's impossible to say.

DigitalDuality
April 26th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Fedora... b/c i want to learn the rpm side of things.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 26th, 2006, 01:53 AM
If I didn't use Ubuntu, I would most likely be on Windows XP. And if not that then either SuSE or Fedora.

htinn
April 26th, 2006, 02:06 AM
well, i don't use ubuntu at the moment due to the minimalism of the distro (ie only one disk). but as a hypothetical question, i would suggest fedora core 5 because i think its a superb distro and caters much better for those who have no internet connection to their linux box.

Maybe Ubuntu needs to draw a bit more attention to their DVDs.

http://torrent.ubuntu.com/releases/breezy/release/dvd/

ComplexNumber
April 26th, 2006, 02:54 AM

thanks for that. all i need now is a dvd writer.

DirtDawg
April 26th, 2006, 03:03 AM
A piece of paper and a busted pencil.

So sad.

bender888
April 26th, 2006, 03:38 AM
If there was no Ubuntu, I would be running OpenSuSE or Fedora.

white_tiger_daniel
April 26th, 2006, 03:44 AM
I used to use ubuntu but now it cant install (once i installed the card installation hung on configuring xserver-xorg regardless of wether i had my card in or not) so I am using Damn Small but if there was no ubuntu I would be using Fedora.

RS3York
April 26th, 2006, 07:03 AM
SLAX...to handle the annual Windows scare.

beercz
April 26th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Debian.

Still use it in fact on serveral servers. Rock solid, bomb proof (well, at least for me).

Lanrond
April 26th, 2006, 01:04 PM
What Linux distro would you have used instead?

I don't know, Ubuntu is my first attempt at Linux.
Probably, being an old time Mac-user, I would use only OSX by now, but I don't know if that counts... ;)
Anyway, I think I'm going to try other distros, I'm intrigued by gentoo and debian especially.

gingermark
April 26th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Aren't these just the Live CD + Install CD together on one DVD?

I would be nice to have an install DVD with more packages, maybe a non-free version, though I suppose that would go against the ubuntu promise of always being free.

SeanTater
April 26th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I'd use Linspire and just keep floating around trying distros.. I'd try everything KDE-based..

graabein
April 26th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I don't know since I really haven't looked at other distros for my main box. Probably either Debian, Slackware or Arch?

I'm getting to the point where I want to buy a second machine to try out distros and fool around with. Maybe a small box that looks good and is noise free with mid-range specs (Linux supported hardware and nVidia graphics of course).

auroraborealis
April 26th, 2006, 03:57 PM
FreeBSD.

Iandefor
April 26th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Debian. I had been using Xandros for a couple months and wasn't satisfied with it. I had been thinking about giving Debian a go, when I heard about Ubuntu. I figured, hey, I like the philosophy and it looks pretty nice.

atoponce
April 26th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Debian unstable.

woland
April 26th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Probably Windows XP.
Tried Fedora before, but had bad experience. Ubuntu got me into Linux. I think that I would try Suse and Mandriva.

Sidk
April 26th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I don't use Ubuntu. I prefer Debian Etch and Sid.

dosed150
April 26th, 2006, 05:05 PM
i would still be trying to get my parents to buy an imac and using windows in the mean time

xenmax
April 26th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Ubuntu is my first tryst with a linux based desktop OS. I was actually contemplating dual booting Fedora at home with windows for several months - but i am too lazy and did nothing about it :) - until a colleague handed me Breezy CDs as he had ordered from shipit, but had got 5 copies.

So yeah, if not ubuntu, 2 possibilities:
a) i would still be telling myself to go look for fedora cds *next* weekend :( or
b) i somehow got fedora and be dual booting it with windows - if encounter too many problems and googling didn't help, i would probably wiped it off my HD and only using windows again :(

angkor
April 26th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I'd still be happily using Debian Unstable, practically no different from Ubuntu really. ;)

Buffalo Soldier
April 26th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Three possibilites:
Back to SimplyMEPIS
Fedora Core
Debian

tseliot
April 26th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Arch Linux (which I also use) or PCLinuxOS

AndyCooll
April 26th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Either Fedora Core which was the first distro I tried (and I still quite like) or Debian.

:cool: