PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation almost done

tmon
January 3rd, 2011, 08:17 PM
Hi there, I'm sure this has been done numerous times although I have gone through the steps in the installation for the latest Ubuntu Desktop and once I get to the final screen (entering name and password etc) I can't go any further. The "forward" button is hidden and down the bottom it states "ready when you are" and that leads to script (which unfortunately I had no idea about).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

howefield
January 3rd, 2011, 08:21 PM
By "hidden", do you mean ghosted as in you can't press it ?

If so, check the username you have chosen, no capitals.

Or do you mean simply can't see it.

matt_symes
January 3rd, 2011, 08:23 PM
Hi

The user name can't contain spaces, cannot start with a number and must contain all lowercase characters.

Try that.

Kind regards

tmon
January 3rd, 2011, 08:25 PM
Ah great, you're a champion! That was exactly what was wrong with it and such a quick reply. Knew this community was cool!

stargazergal62
January 4th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I am also having the same problem - install freezes during "Who are you." And, yes, I have been doing the same thing with the upper case letter, so I will be sure to make it lower case. Here's my question: What is the best way to install Ubuntu since it was interrupted in the middle of the install? I am installing it alongside of Windows 7. When I get to allocating disk space, it appears that Ubuntu is already installed, but I know that it did not finish installing. Any ideas? Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

matt_symes
January 4th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Hi

If the installer has already repartitioned the hard drive but it did not install correctly then i would use the advanced install option on the partition page when installing from the LiveCD/USB.

This will allow you to select the partition, set it as the root point and format it.

Here is a basic guide but instead of selecting add to add a new partition, select edit to edit the existing Ubuntu partition (created by the last Ubuntu install) and set it's mount point as /. Also format it. The guide will give you a general idea of what the screen shots look like though

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/10/12/ubuntu-10-10-manual-disk-partitioning-guide/

Kind regards

xyepblra
January 4th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I realize this thread might not be the best suitable place for my post, but to me it seems to be the best I could find.
For a year and a half I've been using my laptop in dual boot (Vist + Ubuntu). Few days ago I ran out of free disk space and thus decided to erase Vista. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on the repartitioned hard drive and found out that I don't know how to use some 150 GB left after creating swap, / and /home. Can anybody instruct me on how to use this space for storing multimedia data and other stuff you usually put on volume D in Windows?
Here is the way my hard drive is partitioned:
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda5 ext4 /
/dev/sda6 ext4 /home
/dev/sda7 linux-swap
/dev/sda8 xfs not mounted yet

matt_symes
January 4th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Hi

/dev/sda8 xfs not mounted yet

The best way to do this is to mount it at startup by adding an entry to fstab.

In the first instance open a terminal and type

sudo blkid

Enter your password. You will not see it echoed to the screen. This is normal. Post the output back here.

Kind regards

xyepblra
January 4th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Hi

sudo blkid
Enter your password. You will not see it echoed to the screen. This is normal. Post the output back here.
Kind regards
Hello, Matt!

sudo blkid
/dev/sda5: UUID="48138949-5557-4660-ba46-3d729220914c" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda6: UUID="cd589498-dfa9-463a-b5fb-f14a07e23541" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda7: UUID="e6e6d040-0217-4a69-ae4e-72a322623ae1" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda8: LABEL="data" UUID="3e62277e-3eba-49aa-b095-f94fba60cf1f" TYPE="ext4"

matt_symes
January 4th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Hi

Open a terminal and type

sudo mkdir /media/data

to create a new directory under media. Edit your fstab by pressing alt F2 together and entering

gksudo /etc/fstab

to edit your fstab file. At the end enter this line.

UUID=3e62277e-3eba-49aa-b095-f94fba60cf1f /media/data ext4 defaults 0 0

and save the file. Check the above by typing

sudo mount -a

to mount all the partitions in your fstab.

Kind regards

xyepblra
January 5th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Thank you very much, Matt!
The only thing I dare add to what you said is that quotation marks are not required in UUID you write to /etc/fstab, and old label of partition we've been mounting with all operations described here has to be either commented out or erased completely.

matt_symes
January 5th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Hi

Yes. The quotes were a copy and paste typo from your post (I copied the UUID of the result from the blkid command and forgot to remove the quotes). Sorry about that. I will edit my post.
But you get the general idea of how to edit your fstab.

Kind regards

stargazergal62
January 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks so much for the help installing Ubuntu - it worked and I'm loving it! However, when I boot up the computer, it gives me options as to what program I would like to open. When I click on Windows 7, it takes me to Recovery and wants to reinstall factory specs. I'm brand new to Linux and Ubuntu, so I'm lost as to what I need to do. Any advice?