PDA

View Full Version : What woud you pay for Mac hardware running Ubuntu??

DoubleClicker
January 3rd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Currently, I have an opportunity to acquire, factory direct hardware from the company that manufactures Macs for Apple. However they are not, authorized by Apple, so they don't come with Mac OS X. So I would sell them with Ubuntu, ( or possibly my own Linux distro).

The one thing I hear over and over, is that macs are too expensive, so what would you consider not too expensive for:

1) 17 inch "Macbook pro", with 2.93 mhz i7, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HD (possibly a hybrid SDD/hard disk)

2) 27 inch "iMac" with with 2.93 mhz i7, 4GB RAM, 2 TB HD

If I can make a decent (not exorbitant) profit on them, I may start selling them

PuddingKnife
January 3rd, 2011, 08:48 PM
This is relevant to my interests

Paqman
January 3rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
BIOS or EFI?

marin123
January 3rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
i would like to buy one of those without any os and then install ubuntu on it myself. i like the look of macbooks but i dont like the price tag and osx.
i would pay 10% higher then average price of a decent hp/acer/asus/dell notebook of same components.

EDIT: btw how is ubuntu with macs nowadays? is everything working? i know that earlier versions of ubuntu had issues with macs.

Joe of loath
January 3rd, 2011, 09:38 PM
Foxconn manufacture macs. My Dell comes from Foxconn. It's not authorised by apple.

More information, please :lol:

handy
January 3rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
BIOS or EFI?

If they are the same machines then they will be EFI.

NCLI
January 3rd, 2011, 10:00 PM
i would like to buy one of those without any os and then install ubuntu on it myself. i like the look of macbooks but i dont like the price tag and osx.
i would pay 10% higher then average price of a decent hp/acer/asus/dell notebook of same components.

EDIT: btw how is ubuntu with macs nowadays? is everything working? i know that earlier versions of ubuntu had issues with macs.

I agree with this. I'd definitely be willing to pay 10% extra to get a device with good build quality that has been tested with Ubuntu.

3Miro
January 3rd, 2011, 10:04 PM
If I were you, I would try to compete with System 76. They offer similar good quality hardware and Ubuntu pre-installed. Whatever price you put, people looking for an Ubuntu laptop will look at System76 as well.

brokenromeo
January 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
I am pretty sure that Apple has patented many of the design elements of their hardware, case design for example...I don't think the manufacturer can sell say a generic macbook pro without the logo to another vendor...if that is what you are talking about.

IWantFroyo
January 3rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Think about manufacturing costs. If you put it not too far above, you'll get a lot of attention. I love the hardware that Apple has, but I don't agree with their high prices and the security of the OS's. If you have it lower than Apple's price (and minus the expense of the Mac OS), I would buy or recommend one.

earthpigg
January 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
I'd pay $1800 for an aluminum body i7 laptop with an 8 hour battery life. the first item you mentioned.

Dell wants $1900 for similar spec 17" laptop, minus the aluminum and 8 hour battery life. The model you mention, from Apple, seems to be $2200.

If you could sell superior hardware for $100 cheaper than Dell, I think you would be onto something. Toss a large Ubuntu sticker over the Apple logo :P

Before anyone starts talking about what is and is not illegal, you should be aware that the OP may not be in the same legal jurisdiction as you.

Dixon Bainbridge
January 3rd, 2011, 10:27 PM
Currently, I have an opportunity to acquire, factory direct hardware from the company that manufactures Macs for Apple. However they are not, authorized by Apple, so they don't come with Mac OS X. So I would sell them with Ubuntu, ( or possibly my own Linux distro).

The one thing I hear over and over, is that macs are too expensive, so what would you consider not too expensive for:

1) 17 inch "Macbook pro", with 2.93 mhz i7, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HD (possibly a hybrid SDD/hard disk)

2) 27 inch "iMac" with with 2.93 mhz i7, 4GB RAM, 2 TB HD

If I can make a decent (not exorbitant) profit on them, I may start selling them

The hardware is just the same as any intel based laptop so.... I don't see the point. The reason for buying a mac is so you can use OSX and the apps that it supports. The hardware is irrelevant. So if you remove OSX... you have an intel based laptop...

earthpigg
January 3rd, 2011, 10:30 PM
The hardware is just the same as any intel based laptop so.... I don't see the point. The reason for buying a mac is so you can use OSX and the apps that it supports. The hardware is irrelevant. So if you remove OSX... you have an intel based laptop...

for you, perhaps. so you wouldn't be one of the OPs customers. no biggie.

many people would disagree with you, and those will be his customers.

handy
January 3rd, 2011, 10:31 PM
Before anyone starts talking about what is and is not illegal, you should be aware that the OP may not be in the same legal jurisdiction as you.

Most notebooks (in particular) come out of only 2 or 3 factories anyway. Or at least that is how it was a few years ago.

For this factory to be able to sell these goods to the OP means that there isn't an IP contract with Apple, or that they are breaking the contract. imho anyway.

DoubleClicker
January 3rd, 2011, 11:04 PM
BIOS or EFI?

They would be EFI, The only thing different from a Mac is the branding and the OS

If you want it with No OS, that would not be a problem. I really need to get a feel for the actual dollar value that people perceive these are worth, "a decent hp/acer/asus/dell" is a little to subjective for me to work, but if you mean comparably configured:

Asus N73Jq- $3,149
Dell Precision 6,00 is $,3114
HP Envy is $2,075

Yes, it is just an intel laptop, but it's an intel laptop with some really nice design features, like aunibody Aluminum shell, a very sharp 1920x1080 display, quick release magnetic power connetctor, and the best battery of any notebook.

It's not a done deal that I can/will acquire and sell them, but the response so far leads me to believe there is a reasonable opportunity here.

smellyman
January 4th, 2011, 12:19 AM

except for the better display, battery life, trackpad, keyboard, build quality etc...

earthpigg
January 4th, 2011, 12:47 AM
It's not a done deal that I can/will acquire and sell them, but the response so far leads me to believe there is a reasonable opportunity here.

What price point are you thinking of for the UbuntuBook?

kaldor
January 4th, 2011, 02:52 AM
So this means I can buy a de-branded Apple computer for a much lower price and then legally install OS X on it (I have the install disc) without issue?

Nice :)

drs305
January 4th, 2011, 03:20 AM

You have an idea. That's as far as this thread will go to.

Thread closed.