PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Icons changing on their own after installing Compiz

sosukeinu
January 3rd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Hello,
I'm using an Acer Aspire One with ubuntu 10.10 Desktop/Netbook and Kubuntu 10.10 installed. I'm using Compiz for the window manager and Emerald for the decorator. I know my problem has something to do with compiz because after uninstalling it, the problem went away, so I'm hoping I'm just missing a setting somewhere.
After installing compiz, my icons/system theme (not my window decorations) will change on their own,(Please see attached screenshots) and even when I choose, let's say, 'ambiance' in the appearance menu, the panels for gnome will change, but the icons will not. the only way i can get the ubuntu mono-dark icons to reappear is to logout/restart, etc. However, it will still switch to unity icons on a seemingly random basis. It is a little thing, but it is driving me crazy. Any help would really be appreciated. Thank you.

ChrisEiffel
January 3rd, 2011, 09:38 PM
I have a similar issue. When my computer starts up it will sometime launch the same grey default theme. If I open System -> Preferences -> Appearance then the theme corrects to the desired theme except the icons and the nautilus GUI still looks weird.

sosukeinu
January 4th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Just found this http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1575703 seems to be a widespread problem :(

Bernabé
March 9th, 2011, 04:24 PM
to fix the appearance of nautilus you just have to kill it and open it again:
nautilus -q

Copper Bezel
March 9th, 2011, 08:22 PM
For most folks, adding gnome-settings-daemon to Startup Applications seems to be working. If that doesn't fix anything, it might need to be delayed and Nautilus restarted afterward, as

sleep 10 && gnome-settings-daemon && killall nautilus