PDA

View Full Version : HDTV on 24" screen - worth it?

squaregoldfish
January 3rd, 2011, 02:19 PM
I've recently acquired a 24" monitor with full 1080p resolution, attached to a computer that also acts as my TV/media centre. While this is theoretically good enough to watch BluRay movies and other HD delights in all their glory, I'm wondering if it's actually worth it on such a (relatively) small screen. I understand that HD is pretty well a requirement to getting a top quality picture on large screens, but I'm not sure whether the increase in quality will be noticeable at this size. Or at least noticeable enough to drop £70 on a BluRay DVD drive.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Steve.

Mmmbopdowedop
January 3rd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Blue-ray's over rated.

On a screen of that size, dependent on how far you're sitting away from the computer, it won't be worth it, at all, not in the price of buying the Blue-ray's or time to take downloading them, heck, i'm happy watching 360p films from the distance I sit.

But if you're planning to sit at a desk and watch them, then fair do's, it's gonna be quite blurry. =]

Joeb454
January 3rd, 2011, 02:33 PM
But if you're planning to sit at a desk and watch them, then fair do's, it's gonna be quite blurry. =]

I agree with the distance thing, that plays a big part in the decision.

That said, I have a 24" monitor, and a blu-ray drive. The picture is far from blurry, in fact, it's quite the opposite :)

squaregoldfish
January 3rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
I think Pey meant it would be blurry on standard def.

Thanks for the thoughts, both of you. I sit on my sofa for watching, so it looks like I can skip BluRay. Now, what to spend that money on. Maybe I'll scour Amazon for cheap standard DVDs :)

Steve.

wewantutopia
January 3rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
shouldn't it look crisper as there are the same number of pixels crammed into a smaller area?