PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't increase the Linux partition

chuchi
January 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
Hello friends!! I have this problem. I wanted to add space to my Linux partition, from the Windows partition, so I booted with the Ubuntu CD, extracted 10Gb from Windows partition but it doesn't allow to increase the Linux partition, neither to the Swap partition. I'm only be able to allocate the new free space to the Windows partition again!!! Why???

Thank you very much!!

karthick87
January 3rd, 2011, 10:50 AM
Open Gparted and post a snapshot of your partition information here..So that we can help you..

chuchi
January 3rd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Here is the snapshot. thanks

dino99
January 3rd, 2011, 11:21 AM
as you can see, /dev/sda2 3 5 are locked, you need to unmount them first

chuchi
January 3rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
"umount /dev/sda2" doesn't allow umount /dev/sda2. It said /dev/sda2 is busy. I think it's due to I am working in Linux partition,i.e /dev/sda2. So I booted from Ubuntu CD again, executed gparted and tried to resize /dev/sda2. Here is a new snapshot. As you can see, it allow me reduce, but doesn't increase /dev/sda2.

karthick87
January 3rd, 2011, 12:49 PM
You can add free space to partition only if it is immediately before or after the partition on the disk. The partition table defines starting and ending points for a partition on a disk.

chuchi
January 3rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Ok! I solved! I moved the space to swap partition, and then from it to the Linux partition!! You were right karthick87. Thanks you very much to all!!

karthick87
January 3rd, 2011, 02:01 PM
You are welcome :)