PDA

View Full Version : Intel chips with DRM

lovinglinux
January 3rd, 2011, 09:49 AM
Intel's Upcoming Core Chips to Secure Streaming Movies (http://www.pcworld.com/article/215321/intels_upcoming_core_chips_to_secure_streaming_mov ies.html?tk=rss_news)

Intel on Monday said that it was building a hardware security layer in its next-generation Core chips to prevent streaming movies from being copied.

The chip feature, called Insider, includes an end-to-end protection layer and management feature to unlock high-definition movies from online streaming services, said Karen Regis, consumer Consumer Client Marketing Manager at Intel.

Insider is a part of Intel's enhanced graphics offerings in its next-generation Core processors, which will be officially released on Jan. 5, ahead of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

NightwishFan
January 3rd, 2011, 10:59 AM
Sad sad news. :'(

del_diablo
January 3rd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Unfeasable, unreasonable, and ridicule.

Spice Weasel
January 3rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
AMD, congratulations, you have a new customer.

insane_alien
January 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
its a hardware implementation. it only has to be hacked once and its broke till the next iteration.

NightwishFan
January 3rd, 2011, 01:57 PM
I am not worried about what the encryption thing will actually do, merely that it is there. I agree about the AMD sentiments, and if AMD does not have such lock downs, I will take my business to them as well.

pookiebear
January 3rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
I am not worried about what the encryption thing will actually do, merely that it is there. I agree about the AMD sentiments, and if AMD does not have such lock downs, I will take my business to them as well.

agreed.

theraje
January 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM
So what... now it's not just "DRM won't let me use the stupid program I just bought", but now "DRM won't let me use the stupid computer I just bought"?

Genius. So long, Intard.

3Miro
January 3rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Article is not technical, but how do they intend to prevent the user from recording their desktop while watching the movie in full screen mode? This has to be activated at the OS level.

Is this really going to stop any "piracy" or are they just sucking money from WB selling them something that the tech-illiterate CEOs think will work.

The Real Dave
January 3rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
I don't really understand how, or why this would be implemented. Surely such a thing need to be done by the OS?

lovinglinux
January 4th, 2011, 05:02 AM
According to Geek.com.br (http://news.geek.com.br/posts/14485-novos-processadores-da-intel-virao-com-restricoes-embutidas-no-chip), the "Insider" could be used for software remote control, allowing "retailers" to prevent a program from functioning.

Chamada Intel Insider, a tecnologia também pode servir para controle remoto de software, permitindo que revendedores desativem remotamente o funcionamento de um programa.

I am not sure if the have chosen the correct words on that article and if what they mean is really remote control, but that sounds scary. Additionally, I suppose what they mean by "retailers" are the media companies they are sleeping with.

Goodbye Intel. Hello AMD.

GabrielYYZ
January 4th, 2011, 05:26 AM
i already switched to AMD and these news only make feel better about switching. i just hope they[AMD] don't get strange ideas with this... i'm all for eliminating piracy, but i don't want to be at the mercy of idiots who might be able to trash my computer on a whim or, at the least, render it useless with stuff that doesn't help at all.

Austin25
January 4th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Why must they do these things?:confused:

juancarlospaco
January 4th, 2011, 05:28 AM
im AMD user.

Ahava591
January 4th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I think my apparently obsolete Phenom II X2 550 BE will get a very long lifespan, :)

earthpigg
January 4th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Sorry Intel, this isn't up for debate or discussion.

Farewell.

piquat
January 4th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Why would AMD NOT comply?

Look, if a bunch of content, netflix type stuff at that, gets put out and you can only stream it having one of these new chips, do you think AMD will say "nah, not going to get in that one, we'll just sell less chips"?!?!

If the content is there, people will want to use it. If people want to use it, AMD will see that as a new avenue for new business. They're not going to just close the door on that.

dgw
January 4th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Look, if a bunch of content, netflix type stuff at that, gets put out and you can only stream it having one of these new chips, do you think AMD will say "nah, not going to get in that one, we'll just sell less chips"?!?!

The companies providing the content aren't going to limit it to people who have these chips unless most of their customers actually have the chips. That means AMD will need to start making them, and they'll have to wait a few years for most of their customers to have "upgraded". If AMD doesn't make chips with DRM, the DRM in the intel chips will probably never be used. Companies like Netflix aren't going to just stop providing content to half their customers (AMD users + people with older hardware).

piquat
January 5th, 2011, 09:51 AM
The companies providing the content aren't going to limit it to people who have these chips unless most of their customers actually have the chips. That means AMD will need to start making them, and they'll have to wait a few years for most of their customers to have "upgraded". If AMD doesn't make chips with DRM, the DRM in the intel chips will probably never be used. Companies like Netflix aren't going to just stop providing content to half their customers (AMD users + people with older hardware).

Netflix won't have to. They'll just wait for AMD to follow Intels lead.

You have to realize that this is something they REALLY want. A locked down system that nobody can copy media from (as far as they see it) would be great in their eyes.

You're looking at this like netflix et. al. is just going to shut the light switch off for AMD users. That won't happen. What will happen is, slowly, content that only these chips are able to view, will be added, over a period of a few years. Want to watch House? Need a DRM'd chip. You can still watch Lost though, for now.

Loose customers? They're not going to loose anybody, they'll all just slowly upgrade. Corporations have been conditioning the populace for this model for decades, it's nothing new.