PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Random Restarts - New Installation on Acer Aspire-3690 (previously Vista)

garbx
January 3rd, 2011, 04:22 AM
I'm new to this, having just installed Ubuntu. My system works beautifully BUT - randomly it will reboot. I've not noticed any specific triggers for this. The computer is not overheating, it doesn't necessarily happen when I am using too many programs or doing things too quickly, it just seems completely arbitrary. Sometimes it is a fast reboot (where it doesn't even seem like the whole system shut down) and other times it seem like a full reboot.

The time between reboots also seems to be random, from one after another to every few minutes to every hour...and now the system has been operating fine for the past 4 hours or so with no reboot.

What should I do? I'm afraid of trusting it, working, and then losing my work because of a restart. I'm hesitant to even watch a movie on it or copy files to and from a network drive or anything that would be interrupted by a restart.

If you have any ideas of what could be happening and what I can do to fix it, please let me know.

Thank you :KS

-------------

Supplementary Info:

Acer Aspire 3690 with upgraded RAM

Previously running Vista

-Any solution involving the use of an optical drive won't help me as mine stopped working within a couple of months of buying the computer.

-I do not have the acer e-recovery files anymore (originally in that hidden partition - ubuntu installation erased it)

-I've attempted to run the memtest86 as I've seen some people recommend this but it doesn't seem to do anything (the screen stays the same for over 20 minutes after which I give up and restart)

-I tried to upgrade my BIOS but was unable to since I do not have windows installed on the system and I was unable to get it to work from within ubuntu (unsurprisingly since the files I downloaded are meant for Vista or XP)