PDA

View Full Version : Official LibreOffice PPA for Ubuntu

Starks
January 3rd, 2011, 01:45 AM
It was worth the wait.

https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa

areteichi
January 3rd, 2011, 02:44 AM
Just to let people know, this PPA replaces OpenOffice. It doesn't allow you to have both installed at once. I did it and LibreOffice seems to be working pretty much the same way as OpenOffice was.

zeroseven0183
January 3rd, 2011, 03:08 AM
And if somehow you don't like the way it looks like, install libreoffice-gtk.

Kalimol
January 3rd, 2011, 03:34 AM
I installed it, rolled it back. = P I kind of wish I'd come in to see that there was a fix for it using that ... hideous Win95-looking default skin I also get for Wine apps. (What is that, anyway?)

It's funny, because I'd installed LibreOffice from debs before the PPA, and it didn't replace OOo, and it included the GTK integration....

cariboo
January 3rd, 2011, 03:50 AM
Is it just me, or does LibreOffice load a lot quicker than OpenOffice?

areteichi
January 3rd, 2011, 04:00 AM
I installed it, rolled it back. = P I kind of wish I'd come in to see that there was a fix for it using that ... hideous Win95-looking default skin I also get for Wine apps. (What is that, anyway?)

It's funny, because I'd installed LibreOffice from debs before the PPA, and it didn't replace OOo, and it included the GTK integration....

I don't know what you missed. As zeroseven0183 wrote above, libreoffice-gtk and libreoffice-gnome will set the looks to Gnome just like in OpenOffice. You just need to install them manually.

marl30
January 3rd, 2011, 04:27 AM

Yeah, I noticed that too. Integration with Gnome/KDE didn't install automatically. I had to search for it in Synaptic and install it and it went back to looking like OOO.

It opened faster than OOO for sure. :)

Spr0k3t
January 3rd, 2011, 05:33 AM
I'm happy the PPA is finally available for this. The speed improvement is definitely noticeable... even on SSD drives.

MonolithImmortal
January 3rd, 2011, 05:37 AM

It's not just you.

NightwishFan
January 3rd, 2011, 05:54 AM
I am certainly trying this. :)

Kalimol
January 3rd, 2011, 06:02 AM
I don't know what you missed. As zeroseven0183 wrote above, libreoffice-gtk and libreoffice-gnome will set the looks to Gnome just like in OpenOffice. You just need to install them manually.

Which, as I said, I didn't know. Anyway, I switched it back up again after I found out. My loading splash is uglier and I see it for a shorter period of time now, like the rest of you. = )

MooPi
January 3rd, 2011, 06:10 AM
Lots faster and less overhead as well. I don'
t see my memory usage spike as much. I've install Libre Office on three computers using the .rpm packages and converting them via alien. Has been working swell without adding a new source for apt-get.

areteichi
January 3rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
I like the improvements they made on the print menu. 8)
It's a bit laggy but I think the changes are in the right direction.

Toxicbits
January 4th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I have a question of basic understanding regarding the UI. GIMP, based on gtk looks fine under KDE, doesnt it? And even though KDE apps dont look native under Gnome, at least they dont look like Windows, either. So what is LibreOffice using that makes it look so weird without the integration package? Cause even if that is installed, LO still looks a bit off. Why?

earthpigg
January 4th, 2011, 04:08 PM
What predictions do folks have for when LibreOffice will find it's way into Ubuntu's default repos?

sdowney717
January 4th, 2011, 04:08 PM
add the ppa, then updates will show up

scott@scott-desktop:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 36E81C9267FD1383FCC4490983FBA1751378B444
gpg: requesting key 1378B444 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key 1378B444: public key "Launchpad PPA for LibreOffice Packaging" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)

run synaptic, do a reload
select libreoffice and the gnome stuff.

bailout
January 4th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Are there any major bugs or disadvantages with this version? I see that on the LibreOffice website they are warning that it isn't a final release and shouldn't be used for production use.

NightwishFan
January 4th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I am sure it has some, however I have used it in the production of Severed Fifth's Fanzine. Worked out fine.

nah40
January 5th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I installed it, and now have no spell check in Writer or Evolution.

sdowney717
January 5th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I installed and after reading your comment, just tested writer, and I have spell check working.
If you mean, you type a word and it is misspelled, underlined in red, right click and gives you word options.

nah40
January 5th, 2011, 01:05 AM
no red underline.
no dictionary, greyed out.

nah40
January 5th, 2011, 01:09 AM
no red underline.
no words in dictionary, blank.

BigCityCat
January 5th, 2011, 01:59 AM
getting an installation error.

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libreoffice-common_1%3a3.3.0~rc2-3lucid1_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/etc/bash_completion.d/ooffice.sh', which is also in package openoffice.org-common 1

Ric_NYC
January 5th, 2011, 02:59 AM
It starts in seconds.

KingYaba
January 5th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Mmmm well I downloaded the tar.gz file from their site a few days ago. Like the post above me said: it sure does load faster.

sdowney717
January 5th, 2011, 12:24 PM
here is a screen shot proving the spell check can work.

did you install from the PPA? Something like this I would uninstall with purge and reinstall.

sdowney717
January 5th, 2011, 12:30 PM
is spell check option enabled?
it says you can get dictionaries online.

Toxicbits
January 5th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Just add a package like "libreoffice-l10n-de" for a localized UI and spellcheck from the USC.
To get a localized help add "libreoffice-help-de". Just replace de with your language

Quadunit404
January 5th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I've got a question about this PPA.

Does it include the 64-bit debs for LibreOffice? As much as I'd like a PPA for LibO to keep my current LibO installation up-to-date without me needing to run the ./update script or download about 300 megs of debs, I would like to know if it contains 64-bit binaries for us 64-bit users.

I assume that it does as there are 64-bit debs in the Document Foundation package mirror.

Z-D
January 5th, 2011, 09:31 PM
getting an installation error.
You haven't completely removed openoffice.org before installing libreoffice, and now you package is corrupted. In order to solve the issue, you have to manually purge the offending package, that is openoffice.org-common. Use the following command:

sudo dpkg --purge openoffice.org-commondpkg might fail due to dependent packages. If so, remove dependent packages first. After that you can complete the libreoffice installation, and remove all openoffice.org leftovers using the command

sudo apt-get purge openoffice*

Toxicbits
January 5th, 2011, 09:56 PM
A bit off topic: Why dont they add a "purge" button to the USC? I personally dont want all these configfiles flying around.

BigCityCat
January 6th, 2011, 12:46 AM
You haven't completely removed openoffice.org before installing libreoffice, and now you package is corrupted. In order to solve the issue, you have to manually purge the offending package, that is openoffice.org-common. Use the following command:

sudo dpkg --purge openoffice.org-commondpkg might fail due to dependent packages. If so, remove dependent packages first. After that you can complete the libreoffice installation, and remove all openoffice.org leftovers using the command

sudo apt-get purge openoffice*

Thanks ZD!

NCLI
January 6th, 2011, 01:29 AM
A bit off topic: Why dont they add a "purge" button to the USC? I personally dont want all these configfiles flying around.
Because they don't take up much space, are hidden from ordinary users, and it generally gives a better impression to the user when he reinstalls an application to find that it still works just like before he uninstalled it.

CarpKing
January 7th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I've got a question about this PPA.

Does it include the 64-bit debs for LibreOffice? As much as I'd like a PPA for LibO to keep my current LibO installation up-to-date without me needing to run the ./update script or download about 300 megs of debs, I would like to know if it contains 64-bit binaries for us 64-bit users.

I assume that it does as there are 64-bit debs in the Document Foundation package mirror.

I would like to know this as well.

marl30
January 7th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I would like to know this as well.

Yes. I have it stalled on 64 bit.

CarpKing
January 7th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Any simple way to get separate launchers for the different programs? :/

NCLI
January 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Any simple way to get separate launchers for the different programs? :/

The different launchers should all be in /usr/share/applications.

CarpKing
January 7th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Haha! I thought I'd be clever and tell apt to install libreoffice-gtk so it would drag the rest in as dependencies. It uninstalled openoffice, but only brought in libreoffice-core! Installing the rest as we speak.

SoFl W
January 8th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I have always had trouble printing envelopes with OO, I am sure it isn't just an OO issue, probably a printer settings as well, but still it never goes well. Has anybody noticed improvements with envelope printing in LibreOffice? Will it print US postal bar codes? I had to download a separate font for the U.S. postal codes.

Quadunit404
January 9th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Just removed LibreOffice that I installed via packages and reinstalled from the official PPA. Takes slightly longer to start up (not that it took that long for me to begin with) but when it loads stuff, it's a whole lot faster. It just feels snappier in general.

gfajdi
January 10th, 2011, 02:26 PM
no red underline.
no dictionary, greyed out.

I have the same problem. No Slovenian spellchecker.

gfajdi
January 11th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I have the same problem. No Slovenian spellchecker.

When I press F7 I get the "spellchecking complete" message and when I press OK the windows closes. How can I install Slovenian dictionary?

texla
January 11th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Found this tip to get Spellcheck working:

"sudo apt-get install libreoffice libreoffice-gtk aspell' to reinstall. Don't forget aspell or the spell check won't work"

and also this tip to get it to open lightning fast:" after going to Tools -> Options -> Java and unchecking the "Use Java runtime environment" my ooo writing starts in 1.5 seconds"

above tips came from here:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/01/new-ppa-makes-installing-libreoffice-on-ubuntu-easy/

I'm so glad to start working with Libreoffice - It looks great with a dark color theme I use right out of the box - open office was horrible for that - hope this keeps getting better.... :P

EDIT:

Spellcheck is now AWOL again - I am researching ways to get it working again... ughh...

areteichi
January 13th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else experiences this problem but the settings often get reverted back to default after a few days. This is very odd indeed...

Like the arrangement of toolbar buttons, the icon theme, and the general settings get lost after a while and go back to the default preferences. This is pretty irritating. I don't think this is happening because of the document-specific settings, as these are general settings and are independent of the particular file I open.

SoFl W
January 16th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Yes, I installed this on my old laptop which I use for testing things before I try or use them on my desktop. I think LO loads faster on my old laptop than OO loads on my newer desktop.

select libreoffice and the gnome stuff.
I am glad you posted the "gnome stuff" comment, it stuck out when I was looking through all the install choices, I might have missed it if you didn't post that little bit of text. I am sure it made things easier.

I installed it, and now have no spell check in Writer or Evolution.
Spell check worked for me using the above method. (English-US)