PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Full OS Backup to Thumb Drive

owlcroft
January 3rd, 2011, 01:30 AM
The problem is not a lack of information, it is a waterfall of overlapping and often contradictory information.

Here is what I have and what I want to do:

I have a fresh Maverick install--and nothing else on the hard drive--which has been customized and augmented in various ways. The install has a dedicated /boot partition, and that is where GRUB2 was installed.

At present, I back up my home directory to (among other places) a USB stick. What I want to do as well (or instead) is back up my entire system to a bootable USB stick. Moreover, I want to be able to keep that backup in sync with my existing system, updating on a frequent basis. In effect, if my entire hard drive were destroyed, I would like to be able to completely restore from the USB stick.

Now it seems to my doubtless ignorant mind that all that is needed is for the stick to get a simple MBR on it, after which I could just use rsync to keep the entire rest up to date (omitting, if one wants, things like the /tmp directory). Is that over-simplistic? And in any event, how would I most easily go about first getting the bare MBR onto the stick? Would a simple use of mbr-install do the trick?

I suppose the long way round would be to install from the Live CD to the stick, using manual format and setting partitions analogous to those on the main hard drive, then use rcync, but that seems tedious.

My thanks for any help anyone can give here.

C.S.Cameron
January 3rd, 2011, 02:52 AM
If the partitions on your hard drive are smaller than your USB stick you can clone it to the stick using:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
Confirm that sda is what you want to clone and sdb is the target.
This will take care of your MBR etc.

snuffy47
January 3rd, 2011, 04:44 AM
Sorry to jump in here but I am searching for the best way to Clone a OS 10.04 hardrive for a hot spare for recovery.

The is what you posted the best way?

C.S.Cameron
January 3rd, 2011, 07:33 AM
Sorry to jump in here but I am searching for the best way to Clone a OS 10.04 hardrive for a hot spare for recovery.

The is what you posted the best way?

It works for me but takes time with large drives.

owlcroft
January 3rd, 2011, 09:27 AM
Re:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

Thank you.

That looks frighteningly simple (by which I mean that simple things often have frighteningly great power).

Now, if I do that, then--as I am understanding it--my thumb drive becomes an exact, bootable equivalent of my hard drive, MBR and all. As I make changes over time on the hard drive, can I just keep the thumb drive up to date using rsync and still have a 100% bootable exact equivalent of my then-current hard drive? (Assuming none of the changes are to the MBR)

snuffy47
January 3rd, 2011, 02:08 PM
I have a large storage raid array mounted in the media folder.

When using this command will it try to back that file system up also or just the OS information?

vader95
January 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
You could use remastersys

http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/

C.S.Cameron
January 3rd, 2011, 03:34 PM
Some more on dd:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/learn-the-dd-command-362506/