PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh Windows 7 install - Saving Ubuntu installation

jd342
January 3rd, 2011, 12:49 AM
A few weeks ago I tried to clone an HD that dual booted XP and Ubuntu 10.10 (both working perfectly) to a smaller HD. It didn't work out so well, but I was able to sort out the grub issues, and get Ubuntu booting. Not so much with XP. I tried chkdsk, fixboot, and fixmbr, but I end up getting disk read errors. When I try to boot to it after reinstalling grub, I just get the blinking cursor.

So I figured this would be a good time to upgrade to Windows 7 since I'm not too worried about losing anything from the XP installation. I have all of the installation stuff for 7, but I've been reading that it's a good idea to start with 7 and then install Ubuntu. So my question... What's the best way to save the current Ubuntu installation (settings and that kind of stuff) and restore that to the disk after installing 7? Best way meaning no stupid boot issues that I spend 2 days trying to figure out. I've had enough of those.

I'm thinking of wiping the disk, installing 7, then cloning the Ubuntu partitions. But this is what I did with XP and it made things worse. Is there a better way of doing this, or should I try something else?

Thanks!