PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu is more guest-friendly than Mac OS X.

Starks
January 2nd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Whenever my housemates use my laptop, they're able to jump right in and do what they need to do. Chrome, Firefox, quick and painless printing, etc. Many are even in awe when I show off my terminal-fu.

I can't say the same for whenever someone uses my housemate's Mac Book Pro; an experience that invites frustration and awkward comments about window maximizing, double-clicking and other Mac idiosyncrasies.

Skara Brae
January 2nd, 2011, 11:36 PM
Ubuntu with Gnome?

One reason why I like Ubuntu is Gnome. And one reason why I like Gnome is because it resembles OS X. I still have a "first generation" iMac G5 with "Tiger".

At work we have SLED 10 (rumours have it they are going to get us back on Windows... ](*,) ). Call me silly, but one reason why I don't like KDE (Kubuntu, SLED, OpenSUSE,...) is because it looks like Windows. You know: taskbar at bottom... start menu at bottom left... icons at bottom right... Another reason why I don't like KDE (SLED has KDE 3.5) is because I search almost as much for settings in SLED (KDE) as in Windows Vista...

Isn't it a bit strange that they like Ubuntu/Gnome more than OS X?

earthpigg
January 2nd, 2011, 11:43 PM
I firmly believe that GNOME is the most accessible desktop enviornment in existence.

Bonus points for including software needed by the Blind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orca_%28assistive_technology%29) by default.

It's also nice that you can make the default text size however large you wish, for those that have poor eyesight but aren't blind -- I think I recall someone in another thread saying they had to use some crazy hack-workaround to get OS X text larger than 16 point.

The only real reservation I make is that the choice to make certain items appear in System -> Administration or System -> Preferences seems arbitrary.

Skara Brae
January 2nd, 2011, 11:57 PM
After 6 years, I am sometimes still looking for a start menu on my iMac.

Back in november 2004, I was SO sick and tired of Windows that I went and bought an iMac (a PC with Windows 2000: connection time-out during e-mail retrievals; cause was "Panda" anti-virus, I later suspected). I had Mandrake on my PC, but there were some difficulties I was too "dumb" for to solve, so Linux was no option for me back then.
(And then, later, I discovered Ubuntu...)

The lack of a (standard) start menu: that is about the only thing that I find hard getting used to in OS X. OS X beats Windows, when it comes to user-friendliness.

Pity that a Mac is so expensive. When my iMac breaks down (*knock on wood*), I will probably not buy a new one, now that I have Ubuntu.

Roasted
January 3rd, 2011, 12:00 AM
I hear that. When my Mac was still alive and kicking and people would get on it they would ask how to open an application. Well, open Finder. Where's Finder? Right there. Oh. Then what?

Don't get me wrong. I find OSX user friendly. I also find W7 user friendly. I just think for somebody who hasn't used a computer at all might have an upper hand on certain Linux distros.

Dragonbite
January 3rd, 2011, 01:43 AM
My family move fairly easily into Ubuntu and have been able to navigate around. My wife had the hardest time, but that was because she has spent the most time on Windows, is a very visual person ("this doesn't look the same") and didn't have much time or inclination to sit down a fool around with things (still doesn't).

I think just the three menu options (Applications, Places and System) are great at dividing up where you need to go for doing whatever you want.

Kalimol
January 3rd, 2011, 01:45 AM
I have two very intelligent Windows-user friends who manage to accidentally activate the Scale plugin every time they pick up my computer. They stare at it bewildered until I click one of the windows for them. It's very much the silliest thing ever. They generally say things like, "I don't know how to work your computer." One actually once asked me how to get to a web browser. (At the time, I was using Cairo-Dock and had Firefox as my main browser. The friend was a Firefox user. There was a 40px Firefox launcher right there.)

I've actually simplified my plugins and desktop over the weekend for guest situations like these. Scale is hidden in a right click (or rather, two-finger tap) at the upper edge, AWN is the only panel, etc.

Edit: Oh, yes, I also had hover set to select windows. It was kind of bewildering, I guess. So Ubuntu can definitely be less guest-friendly than Mac OSX if you try. = )

handy
January 3rd, 2011, 03:35 AM
Ubuntu is more everything than OS X! :lolflag: ](*,)

Timmer1240
January 3rd, 2011, 05:10 AM
When I first started experimenting around trying Linux distros I always went for Kde desktop versions then I tried Ubuntu.I have to admit I didnt like it at first because it didnt look similar to windows.But now I get annoyed when using Windows machines and really miss how simple and intuitive gnome is its my desktop of choice now Im glad I tried it!

aysiu
January 3rd, 2011, 07:04 AM
Ubuntu with Gnome?

One reason why I like Ubuntu is Gnome. And one reason why I like Gnome is because it resembles OS X. I still have a "first generation" iMac G5 with "Tiger". In superficial ways, Ubuntu's Gnome may look like OS X, but it does not act like OS X.

Gnome still very much follows the Windows- and KDE-like taskbar, window list, window, Alt menu items model of managing application windows... along with maximize, minimize, and close buttons.

Mac OS X has a universal toolbar and manages windows as visible instances of background application processes (last window closed does not also quit the application, except with System Preferences) with the dock serving as both the application switcher and launcher. The + button does not maximize windows but merely "zooms" them to some arbitrary and not dynamically resized size... except in iTunes, wherein the + button toggles between a mini player and regular window).

earthpigg
January 3rd, 2011, 07:32 AM
The + button does not maximize windows but merely "zooms" them to some arbitrary and not dynamically resized size..

is that why i often see screenshots of Mac users with windows not taking up anything even close to the whole screen?

aysiu
January 3rd, 2011, 07:53 AM
is that why i often see screenshots of Mac users with windows not taking up anything even close to the whole screen?
Yes.

There are many things I love about Mac OS X, but the zoom button I find completely useless. When you click it the first time it supposedly resizes optimally to fit the displayed content, but then if the content changes, it will not resize again unless you click it again... and sometimes the resize is not optimal and just seems completely arbitrary.

If I want my window to take up the screen, I'd prefer a maximize button, and if I wanted it not to take up the whole screen, I'd prefer a restore button. Zoom does nothing for me.

Kalimol
January 3rd, 2011, 08:44 AM
I'm a huge fan of Gnome's Maximize Vertically, though. It makes a great deal of sense when you're working with documents on a widescreen monitor, and I've had that as the double-click-title-bar action since switching to Ubuntu. Plus, the clothesline movement just looks cool. = )

kaldor
January 3rd, 2011, 10:58 AM
Yes.

There are many things I love about Mac OS X, but the zoom button I find completely useless. When you click it the first time it supposedly resizes optimally to fit the displayed content, but then if the content changes, it will not resize again unless you click it again... and sometimes the resize is not optimal and just seems completely arbitrary.

If I want my window to take up the screen, I'd prefer a maximize button, and if I wanted it not to take up the whole screen, I'd prefer a restore button. Zoom does nothing for me.

I'd love the zoom button if it actually worked properly; it has a mind of its own and doesn't fit to optimal size most of the time.

That being said, when it *does* do as it is expected, it's better than Maximize (for me) :)

alaukikyo
January 3rd, 2011, 01:02 PM
Edit: Oh, yes, I also had hover set to select windows. It was kind of bewildering, I guess. So Ubuntu can definitely be less guest-friendly than Mac OSX if you try. = )

no it can't be until you mess up.
ubuntu's default install is the MOST user-friendly of all operating systems.
and if a person has not used computers he/she can easily use ubuntu with ease WITHOUT any assistance or documentation unlike windows 7 or osx.

alaukikyo
January 3rd, 2011, 01:31 PM
Isn't it a bit strange that they like Ubuntu/Gnome more than OS X?

No its not.
Gnome does not resemble osx (

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/UbuntuMaverickDesktop.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/82/Snow_Leopard_Desktop.png

I don't know how can you say gnome resembles osx(having a panel at top does not make it similar) so how do you open your applications? applications menu in ubuntu (top -left ) you open the application stack in osx. how do you shut down top-right corner in ubuntu and by going gto the apple menu in osx .
there is a LOT of differences if you can't notice them then you are blind,a troll or a apple fanboy.

also about user-friendliness if you give a person never used computers a macbook he/she will have much more difficulty using the computer than if that person is given a zaReason or System76 notebook.

zekopeko
January 3rd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Yes.

Try Divvy.

RiceMonster
January 3rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
no it can't be until you mess up.
ubuntu's default install is the MOST user-friendly of all operating systems.
and if a person has not used computers he/she can easily use ubuntu with ease WITHOUT any assistance or documentation unlike windows 7 or osx.

Because you said so?

Roasted
January 3rd, 2011, 04:38 PM
Because you said so?

"Your opinion is wrong!"

RiceMonster
January 3rd, 2011, 05:10 PM
"Your opinion is wrong!"

Considering the post I was quoting was asserted as a fact, that's not at all what I was saying.

madjr
January 3rd, 2011, 05:48 PM
My family move fairly easily into Ubuntu and have been able to navigate around. My wife had the hardest time, but that was because she has spent the most time on Windows, is a very visual person ("this doesn't look the same") and didn't have much time or inclination to sit down a fool around with things (still doesn't).

I think just the three menu options (Applications, Places and System) are great at dividing up where you need to go for doing whatever you want.

um your wife sounds like a potential mint or kde user :p

DoubleClicker
January 3rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
Whenever my housemates use my laptop, they're able to jump right in and do what they need to do. Chrome, Firefox, quick and painless printing, etc. Many are even in awe when I show off my terminal-fu.

I can't say the same for whenever someone uses my housemate's Mac Book Pro; an experience that invites frustration and awkward comments about window maximizing, double-clicking and other Mac idiosyncrasies.

By idiosyncrasies, you mean that it's not what they are used to. it really works both ways, if I have to use Windows or KDE, It's frustrating dealing with the idiosyncrasies of those environments, and far from painless. I'm quite at home on a mac , and on Gnome it takes me a few minutes to set it up with a more mac like workflow. So if someone is MS centric, they would find that ubuntu is just frustrating to them as Mac OSX. But if someone has no prior computer experience. the would probably have a much easier time learning system than yours.

Ss far as terminal-fu. Both OS's have pretty much the same capabilities.

Yes.

Actually that's not a Mac thing, that's a Safari thing. Most mac apps, including iTunes, Mail, Firefox, Excel, and even the Terminal all maximize to the full screen. However, I have a 27" monitor, I never want a window to take up my whole screen. The thing I find frustrating in linux is that there isn't a browser that expands the window to the size of the content. that's one reason why I much prefer Safari over Firefox.

I'm a huge fan of Gnome's Maximize Vertically, though. It makes a great deal of sense when you're working with documents on a widescreen monitor, and I've had that as the double-click-title-bar action since switching to Ubuntu. Plus, the clothesline movement just looks cool. = )

Yes, that is one feature that Mac OSX is sorely missing, another one is the ability do expand the window on all edges. If Apple would add that to OS X, it would make me a very happy camper. =D>

Roasted
January 3rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
Considering the post I was quoting was asserted as a fact, that's not at all what I was saying.

I was quoting you because I was agreeing with you. Hence the quotes.

RiceMonster
January 3rd, 2011, 08:07 PM
I was quoting you because I was agreeing with you. Hence the quotes.

Ah ok, sorry. My mistake.

Roasted
January 3rd, 2011, 08:43 PM
Ah ok, sorry. My mistake.

<3 :guitar:

aysiu
January 3rd, 2011, 10:38 PM
Actually that's not a Mac thing, that's a Safari thing. Most mac apps, including iTunes, Mail, Firefox, Excel, and even the Terminal all maximize to the full screen. However, I have a 27" monitor, I never want a window to take up my whole screen. The thing I find frustrating in linux is that there isn't a browser that expands the window to the size of the content. that's one reason why I much prefer Safari over Firefox. I have a Macbook Pro, and I can assure you it does not take up the full screen when you "zoom" non-Safari applications. I know this especially because I do not use Safari (I use Firefox mainly and sometimes Chrome).

chriswyatt
January 3rd, 2011, 10:53 PM
I much prefer the GNOME interface to the OSX interface. OSX I just don't get on with at all.

At one point I did try and get my Ubuntu installation to look all shiny and OSX like by having the large icons at the bottom rather than the window list. I didn't keep it like that for long, the window list shows me exactly what documents and applications I have open, far more intuitive and productive in my opinion.

I had to use OSX at uni and it was a pain, the mice were horrible, windows wouldn't maximise of course and the general window management is much better on Windows and GNOME. Shiny animations and things were nice at first but I quickly got bored of them and just wanted a nice intuitive interface, which OSX just doesn't have. Also something which I partly blame on the crappy mice and OSX interface, and partly on my own clumsiness, I'm always accidentally opening applications that I don't want to use from the dock at the bottom of the screen, right pain especially when the application takes ages to load. I ended up just Alt-tabbing all the time which made me feel like I'd gone back to using Windows 3.1!

I've primarily used three OSs, Windows XP, OSX and Ubuntu and I'd put my preference of the interfaces in this order:

Ubuntu (with GNOME, haven't used KDE much so I can't comment)
Windows XP
OSX

GNOME isn't perfect though, I would love to be able to select two or more windows from the taskbar and tell them to tile like I can do in Windows XP, also panels sometimes end up in the wrong place or look glitchy, something Windows handles a bit better, those annoying panels will be gone in Unity so I hope Ubuntu gets it right :). And when I'm using XP I really miss the multiple workspaces feature which would be really handy for my work at the moment where I'm often multi-tasking and finding it hard to track all the windows I have open! I did install some MS Powertoy for multiple workspaces but it doesn't work properly and it's also vastly incompatible with Office 2007 which is installed on the machine. You'd think Office would be fully compatible with Microsoft's other products/tools, but it doesn't seem that way sadly.

Rant over, Ubuntu is very intuitive and I found it very easy to pick up and start using straight away, the same thing couldn't be said for OSX which I just never got to grips with.

DoubleClicker
January 4th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I have a Macbook Pro, and I can assure you it does not take up the full screen when you "zoom" non-Safari applications. I know this especially because I do not use Safari (I use Firefox mainly and sometimes Chrome).

Ok I went back and checked a few Apps that I never use or zoom/maximize. Photoshop only sizes the window to the size of the screen, and chrome does smart zoom, like Safari. Apparently Finder (which I don't use0, does does smart zoom too, but pathfinder uses full screen maximize. Firefox uses the whole screen, as does a majority of apps, that I am familiar with.

If you want all apps to use (what I consider annoying) full screen maximize you can use RightZom (http://www.blazingtools.com/mac/RightZoom.zip), which lets you make maximize the default on all Apps, or better than that, it can be configure to maximize only when the option key is held down.