PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moving, copying and removing multiple files at once in terminal

niteling
January 2nd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hi I'm relatively new to ubuntu and i was wondering how i would go about removing multiple files/folders in a folder at once. What do i use to separate the names. I would like to know this for copying and moving aswell.

Thanks

theozzlives
January 2nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
you could use wildcards like

rm /path/to/file/*.jpg

copy = cp

move = mv

to rename you go

mv oldname newname

Be careful with rm. Used incorrectly can be very dangerous! You're safer if you use Nautilus.

Miter_J
January 2nd, 2011, 01:44 PM

rm /path/to/file/*.jpg

copy = cp

move = mv

to rename you go

mv oldname newname

Be careful with rm. Used incorrectly can be very dangerous! You're safer if you use Nautilus.
It seems to be quite easy to use "*.jpg" to achieve this. But how to operate files that cannot be bound together by "*"? For example, I wanna move files abc and def to another folder, is there a command that could work?
Just like
mv abc&def anotherFolderthough this command could not work. I wonder if there're commands that are similar like that

bikodog
January 2nd, 2011, 01:48 PM

rm /path/to/file/*.jpg

copy = cp

move = mv

to rename you go

mv oldname newname

use these parameters on the commands listed above for safety:

-v = verbose output - displays the files as they are being moved
-i = prompt - prompts before overwriting existing files

these can be combined as -vi

example:

mv -vi /path/to/oldfile /path/to/newfile

bikodog
January 2nd, 2011, 01:50 PM
It seems to be quite easy to use "*.jpg" to achieve this. But how to operate files that cannot be bound together by "*"? For example, I wanna move files abc and def to another folder, is there a command that could work?
Just like
mv abc&def anotherFolderthough this command could not work. I wonder if there're commands that are similar like that

like this:

mv -vi abc def /path/to/anotherfolder

fabricator4
January 2nd, 2011, 01:57 PM
Hi I'm relatively new to ubuntu and i was wondering how i would go about removing multiple files/folders in a folder at once. What do i use to separate the names. I would like to know this for copying and moving aswell.

The command is rm (for remove), and the only separator is <space>. eg:

rm file1 file2 file3 file4

You can remove directories with the recursive option:

rm -r dir1 dir2 dir3 dir4

This also works for a mix of files and directories:

rm -r file1 file2 dir1 dir2

Copy (cp) and move (mv) are a little more complicated, but they will both assume that the _last_ name is the destination directory. eg

cp file1 file2 file3 directory1

For more information than you possibly wanted to know, try:

info coreutils 'mv invocation'

Remember that Linux uses / instead of \ as used in DOS to denote root and subsequent directories.

Chris

niteling
January 4th, 2011, 12:33 PM
The command is rm (for remove), and the only separator is <space>. eg:

rm file1 file2 file3 file4

You can remove directories with the recursive option:

rm -r dir1 dir2 dir3 dir4

This also works for a mix of files and directories:

rm -r file1 file2 dir1 dir2

Copy (cp) and move (mv) are a little more complicated, but they will both assume that the _last_ name is the destination directory. eg

cp file1 file2 file3 directory1

For more information than you possibly wanted to know, try:

info coreutils 'mv invocation'

Remember that Linux uses / instead of \ as used in DOS to denote root and subsequent directories.

Chris

Thank you guys for your help!! I spent a fair bit of time looking on google for the answer and didn't find anything.

Its funny how you said be careful with the rm command "theozzlives" because I was mucking around trying to work it out in a folder of my home directory and managed to delete all the folders under my user... but it wasn't to bad coz I didn't have much stuff in them.

digitography
February 25th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Sorry to jump on someone elses thread, but I think it's relevant.

I read somewhere you can use the mv command to also leave the original files in place, ie it works like cp but copying all files and folders if used with *

Vaphell
February 25th, 2011, 12:11 PM
where is the difference? you can cp files and folders with *