PDA

View Full Version : Sometime i wish Ubuntu had a price tag

daksai3
January 2nd, 2011, 07:45 AM
Dont get the wrong idea, im still an Ubuntu lover, i just want more people to share my kind of enjoyment. I might be selfish.

I still don't know at which group of people Ubuntu is aimed at. If they want the average ordinary computer user. I don't think they are doing a good job at all. At least in my perspective.

Sadly humans just like buying things and owning things even when they can't get it. Humans like showing off and being "dominant." Know this kind of physcology is what helps Businesses attract people. Another example would be advertising shiny things. We can't stand not having shiny things whether it be jewelery, shiny *** computer or even just a shiny toilet seat. But lets go back to the point that humans like owning things and showing off and dominance. The thing is that with a price tag people can actually feel as if they have something in their possession. Getting something without any effort although is very lucky it also leaves people with an empty feeling similar as to what happens when you steal. Same thing applies to Ubuntu, its because they are free that a lot of people just don't recognize this it as a product. They just see it as a regular old freebie.

This is a tactic used by many businesses. For example nintendo and apple. Nintendo started off with a price tag for teh wii very similar to that of the xbox even though they could have sold it for MUCH less (pretty much year old hardware). Why didn't they? Well obviously they earned more money this way but also because it would have seemed cheap. For apple i know you guys are aware too so lemme bring up Sony Playstation. Their PSN service is actually very good and you could compare it to xbox life. They are very competitive services and well matched but psn was free, this led people to believe that psn was not well supported and CHEAP. those are the first impressions to a 0 dollar price tag. CHEAP. The same applies to Ubuntu.

There are many ways Ubuntu could be open sourced and still have a price tag. First let me bring PSN back. Currently they have two services, one that is free and same as what it was previously and another one that costs about the same as Xbox live. Again they didn't really need to but this sure did attract some people as the first impressions for many were that the servers would be faster and BETTER than Xbox live. Same can be done to Ubuntu. Give it a price tag but let it be optional. By that i mean 2 different services. 1 service for those that pay for it and another for those get it for free. but also that the paid service would have bonuses such as actual customer support, warranty, backup services beyond just Ubuntu one or a premium service, premium app store, and basically "noob friendly services to help people migrate." Now, these bonuses would have to be so can't be attainable with the free Ubuntu. However to keep everything still opensource registered devs could easily be given the premiums as a way to promote Ubuntu as an actual project and not just some random hobby. this altogether would help attract a whole new community of casual computer users and developers.
....even 50 dollars would help if it were from per user. canonical has the resources but a philosophy that is at most a pure dream.

sorry for writing this, i just needed to blow some steam and also because i dont want to deal with home work. :lolflag: HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! umm MOD people, please move this thread where it should as i wasnt sure where to put it but also leave a post lol.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

Kalimol
January 2nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
Isn't Ubuntu One a "noob"-friendly paid service enough?

ki4jgt
January 2nd, 2011, 08:23 AM
Dont get the wrong idea, im still an Ubuntu lover, i just want more people to share my kind of enjoyment. I might be selfish.

I still don't know at which group of people Ubuntu is aimed at. If they want the average ordinary computer user. I don't think they are doing a good job at all. At least in my perspective.

sorry for writing this, i just needed to blow some steam and also because i dont want to deal with home work. :lolflag: HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! umm MOD people, please move this thread where it should as i wasnt sure where to put it but also leave a post lol.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

One correction, People like owning "The Best" Not the most expensive.

ninjaaron
January 2nd, 2011, 08:34 AM
I don't care if anyone else uses Ubuntu, and I'm happy that I can use it for free.

alaukikyo
January 2nd, 2011, 08:34 AM
the variety of Ubuntu themes,panels,docks,screenlets,gdesktlets intelligent boot-up screen(one which tells the time) and finally the triumph card COMPIZ EFFECTS!!
all of that makes win7 look lame and add to that the lack of viruses,malware,more stable and faster os.
show all that to any of your non-technical friends and compare it with win 7 ultimate

daksai3
January 2nd, 2011, 08:50 AM
Isn't Ubuntu One a "noob"-friendly paid service enough?
its just one paid service and a lot of people are just satisfied with 2gb of space so they dont care about getting premium stuff. any software or service with a free account option will get raped so why not just sell a full premium service for those that would like to.

One correction, People like owning "The Best" Not the most expensive.
that goes for those that actually do some research before buying but apparently most people dont or else linux would have been better than just a meager 3 percent desktop share.

id also like to remind that people subconsciously decide that the things that are worth more are better.

I don't care if anyone else uses Ubuntu, and I'm happy that I can use it for free.

but dont you care that there are more professional type products for windows and osx users? the only real reason things like adobe or microsoft office and big name game publishers dont port for linux is because they know they wont get enough money out of it as there arent enough people to but their product with the linux people.

the variety of Ubuntu themes,panels,docks,screenlets,gdesktlets intelligent boot-up screen(one which tells the time) and finally the triumph card COMPIZ EFFECTS!!
all of that makes win7 look lame and add to that the lack of viruses,malware,more stable and faster os.
show all that to any of your non-technical friends and compare it with win 7 ultimate

ive done it a lot of times but even though some of my friends have an above noob knowledge of computers they are discouraged because of the fact that not enough people use ubuntu, and tehy find it hard to take in that something free is actually good. for some reason most people are just sheeps that dont like choices. tehy like false senses of hope and you cant deny that.

btw a lot of my friends are impressed by the quality of ubuntu but they dont want to take risks.

Sean Moran
January 2nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
I'd also like to remind that people subconsciously decide that the things that are worth more are better.

... and they find it hard to take in that something free is actually good. for some reason most people are just sheeps ...

I understand the wisdom of where you're coming from, but considering the wide range of living costs across the globe, we must never forget the IT savvy tree-house dwellers posting away in the deepest parts of the rainforests of the Amazon or the Congo, and remember that the price of a Big Mac with fries and a coke in downtown Luxembourg would feed an whole village of Peruvians or Bangladeshis for a week, so why not create that false sense of value, but outside the perimeters of the monetary cell?

What if anyone could download the standard garden-variety Ubuntu for free, but to get the 'Ubuntu Professional' edition, prospective candidates for third-millenium OS liberty were required to pass a simple examination comprised of 30 multiple choice questions, a half a dozen written answers, and an essay on the Babbage Loom and other IT milestones, to eliminate the stupid people who don't get it, but moreso to reward the stupid people who need some tangible acknowledgement if they happen read up on computing history to learn enough to try hard enough to get it?

As Malcolm Fraser once said: Life wasn't meant to be easy, so maybe Ubuntu could play a little 'hard-to-get'. Sad but true though, that the western world is chokablok full of cashed-up dummies, so why not make it equally hard for rich and for poor?

ninjaaron
January 2nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
but dont you care that there are more professional type products for windows and osx users? the only real reason things like adobe or microsoft office and big name game publishers dont port for linux is because they know they wont get enough money out of it as there arent enough people to but their product with the linux people.
No. I'm used to GIMP, and it does everything I need for photo editing. As far as office software, I feel that OpenOffice is superior to MS Office. As far as gaming goes, I'm not overly into it, and I'm quite happy playing fake Tetris and Battle for Wesnoth, with the occasional Super Nintendo RPG thrown in when I have some time off.

I want enough people to use Ubuntu that my stuff works and continues being developed. It has enough at the moment, and the number isn't going down. Plus, making people pay won't necessarily change anything. Fedora?

Bottom line: I don't have the money to pay for software. That was my #1 reason to switch to Linux. If you want to pay for a *nix system, your welcome to switch to Fedora, BDS, OpenSuSE, Novell, Mac OSX or whatever. If they started charging for Ubuntu, I would switch to another distro out of economic necessity. Period. If you want proprietary software, then don't delete Windows when you get your system, and you can play all your games and continue using all of your comfort software. It's not like you have to choose between Ubuntu and that stuff. Plenty of people boot both.

alaukikyo
January 2nd, 2011, 11:35 AM
but dont you care that there are more professional type products for windows and osx users? the only real reason things like adobe or microsoft office and big name game publishers dont port for linux

microsoft office has NOTHING over liibreoffice it is over hyped due to larger marketshare just like windows.

there is no feature in photoshop(CMYK,CMYK,CMYK) that you would need unless you are related to prepress(you can use sk1).and it is used by everyone because it is used by everyone.

i would NOT want that crap to be ported to linux never.
though i would like new games to be ported i am happy with playonlinux it supports a large no of games and some games offer better performance than windows.

jshepherd
January 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
There is a certain amount of economic snobbery involved in most things in life and computing is no exception. There are many people in the world who like the idea that they use or own something others cannot afford.

However, there are so many people that cannot afford even the most basic things in life that free (ish) computing is one form of liberation, just look at the OLPC initiative.

And of course the entire ethos of Ubuntu is based on community.

Although in some respects the original poster is also right, there does seem to be a perception with the general public that if something is worth having it must have a price tag.

daksai3
January 2nd, 2011, 08:12 PM
we must never forget the IT savvy tree-house dwellers posting away in the deepest parts of the rainforests of the Amazon or the Congo... so why not create that false sense of value, but outside the perimeters of the monetary cell?

What if anyone could download the standard garden-variety Ubuntu for free...

Sad but true though, that the western world is chokablok full of cashed-up dummies, so why not make it equally hard for rich and for poor?
I think i actually addressed those point in my first post, and in my response to that issue i prosed teh idea to have TWO versions of ubuntu, one premium and one that is standard. the premium would be for that "false sense of value" and could be attainable by either purchase for the normal casual users or simply free for those that contribute or have a history of contribution(s). this would still promote open source. the standard would be completely free but not have some of the features of the premium such customer support, dev kits, fully premium back up services, simple things like that which would be in the premium version.

i dont think ubuntu should ever be hard to get, i just want another option to get ubuntu for the sole reason that it would attract more users and future developers.

No. I'm used to GIMP, and it does everything I need for photo editing. As far as office software, I feel that OpenOffice is superior to MS Office. As far as gaming goes, I'm not overly into it,...
I want enough people to use Ubuntu that my stuff works and continues being developed. It has enough at the moment, and the number isn't going down. Plus, making people pay won't necessarily change anything. Fedora?

Bottom line: I don't have the money to pay for software. That was my #1 reason to switch to Linux. It's not like you have to choose between Ubuntu and that stuff. Plenty of people boot both.

in my proposition i didnt eliminate the possibility of a free ubuntu. key idea is that ubuntu works for u because you are used to it. many people dont want to deal with the learning curve and just want familiar software. i know what u mean when u say that u want more people using so ubuntu is developed and that is what i want to. my idea of a premium version would simply be another way to advertise and gain more users so that ubuntu actually stands a chance when people take teh time to decide what os they want. in my proposition i was considering two choices which would keep the free open source aspect.

microsoft office has NOTHING over liibreoffice it is over hyped due to larger marketshare just like windows.

there is no feature in photoshop(CMYK,CMYK,CMYK) that you would need unless you are related to prepress(you can use sk1).and it is used by everyone because it is used by everyone.

i would NOT want that crap to be ported to linux never.
though i would like new games to be ported i am happy with playonlinux it supports a large no of games and some games offer better performance than windows.

for a lot of people those are the things that stop them from switching but if ubuntu focused on the casual people and place a price tag to get more people to have an interest then the user base would grow even if ubuntu was just a dual boot experiment for them. larger user base would mean larger developer interest in Ubuntu.
a good example of such a case would be just about any app store that allows people to create apps. taht includes apple app store which has many devs because apple has created a large user base for them to sell their apps to. this is also why many companies give away products for evaluation, so that their is a larger support. a GREAT example would be google and their new netbook chrome os. they shipped many of their devices not mainly to find bugs but to gain a community interest.

There is a certain amount of economic snobbery involved in most things in life and computing is no exception. There are many people in the world who like the idea that they use or own something others cannot afford.

However, there are so many people that cannot afford even the most basic things in life that free (ish) computing is one form of liberation, just look at the OLPC initiative.

And of course the entire ethos of Ubuntu is based on community.

Although in some respects the original poster is also right, there does seem to be a perception with the general public that if something is worth having it must have a price tag.

yes all of that is true and in my proposition i considered the fact that ubuntu does indeed beniefit those that dont have access to windows or any other product but in order for ubuntu to retain its quality it needs support from teh community and although the present user base is great ubuntu should have more. a community shouldnt just be closed in within themselves they should try to attract all groups of people. and that includes casual users, hobbyists and just about all people. the casual user base is larger than the developer user base and the developer user base is generated by the amount of interest shown by the casual user base. to get the casual people who literally first looks at the price before consulting an actual person who knows their stuff, ubuntu needs a price tag. i know ubuntu is growing but they are going too slow.

i know that they already have a music store and about 5 lol purchasable apps but ITS NOT ENOUGH to get more users. apple gets its user because they have interest in their giant app store.

see my logic? ):P

rg4w
January 2nd, 2011, 08:21 PM
Along with the other freedoms Ubuntu provides, you also have the freedom to put a price tag on it, and to pay as much as you like:
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/get-involved/donate

daksai3
January 2nd, 2011, 08:35 PM
the donate button doesnt attract new users. now does it?

cariboo
January 2nd, 2011, 08:35 PM
You could also buy a support contract (http://www.canonical.com/enterprise-services/ubuntu-advantage/desktop), for your desktop system.

daksai3
January 2nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
You could also buy a support contract (http://www.canonical.com/enterprise-services/ubuntu-advantage/desktop), for your desktop system.

ive looked at it and i have to say that its is a great option for enterprise users. but what about the casual users? although it does include some of the things id want for a premium service/ version of ubuntu i dont think its aimed at the right people or that it includes enough features to grab on people.

and again i stay close to my point that ubuntu should focus more on getting casual users. they are the easiest to convince if you take enough time to say... "manipulate" them hehe.

over all ubuntu needs a new more aggressive attitude to take on the likes of osx which i can say shuttleworth clearly said he like to stand on par with.

btw could a mod pls delete the poll or at least take out the last option (number 4), i got a bit carried away and doesnt really reflect this thread as much.

markbabc
January 2nd, 2011, 09:02 PM

You fail to understand what Linux is all about. Its about FREEdom and being able to do what you want. If ubuntu had a pricetag it would not be the same and violate the principals that Linux was created under

daksai3
January 2nd, 2011, 09:26 PM
You fail to understand what Linux is all about. Its about FREEdom and being able to do what you want. If ubuntu had a pricetag it would not be the same and violate the principals that Linux was created under

dude/dudette, ideals change...

the freedom in Linux/ Ubuntu is expressed by the ability to change the source code as you see fit. The freedom in Ubuntu are the countless options a user has, the ability to become root and change every bit of information that they want. this is not present in windows and mac as much and that is one of the things that truly differentiates Ubuntu from the rest.

I want Ubuntu to have a price tag to improve its image so that more people are interested. I'm looking at the qualities most people have and what they first look from a product. More users = more support, developers, and most importantly FASTER GROWTH.

How could Ubuntu NOT be the same? People would still have all the options they needed. Its not like there would be two different products. Its just that 1 of the two products would have a better OUTSIDE service. What i mean by that are services like backup, customer service, warranties, or even Canonical branded computers. As far as I know Ubuntu doesn't make money from system 76 or anything. SO that brings another question. Why are other companies taking advantage of Ubuntu while Ubuntu themselves aren't?

ninjaaron
January 2nd, 2011, 09:50 PM
I never said I wanted more users to speed up development. I said I wanted enough users that development continues, which there are. Anyway, Canonical's business plan is dependent upon people adopting Ubuntu for enterprise and server application. They are actually doing rather well at the moment, and the user base in that market is growing rapidly. I've actually already worked for a company that was using Ubuntu as their server software.

People always talk about what Ubuntu 'needs' to do to attract the average desktop user. The fact is, they don't need us much at all. They need tech-savy developer-types and commercial businesses for their model to work.

I am Canonical's dead weight. I'm just here cause I heard there were snacks.

Skara Brae
January 2nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
... and finally the triumph card COMPIZ EFFECTS!!
I will never, ever, forget the first time I saw 'CompizFusion' in action. With Hardy Heron, I believe, it was. I had to bend down and pick up my jaw from under my desk.

It was, and still is, the most beautiful, most impressive thing that I have ever seen on my computer screen/screens.

The only "non-Linux" thing that comes close to Compiz is the "LotsaWater" screensaver on my iMac (link is here: LotsaWater (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19934/lotsawater))

MonolithImmortal
January 2nd, 2011, 10:38 PM
I really hope not.

Its not like there would be two different products. Its just that 1 of the two products would have a better OUTSIDE service. What i mean by that are services like backup, customer service, warranties, or even Canonical branded computers.
Here's the deal. If Ubuntu put out a premium version that any added software features they'd have to be made proprietary for them to stay in the pemium version, otherwise someone else would simply re-brand everything and we'd have just another Redhat/CentOS deal on our hands. What would happen is that all the regular Ubuntu users would switch over the the re-branded premium, and the premium buyers would be getting fleeced.
Support Contracts? We can already purchase those. Backup? Check. Warranties? Like what? What can you warranty on a Gnu/Linux distro. Unless you are working with an OEM, you can't guarantee that it will work as you don't know what hardware the user is going to have. Being that it's open source, the user can modify the source code? Does modifying the source code, or compiling your own kernel etc void the warranty? If so then you've effectively killed the FOSS values behind the software.

And if you think that having increased desktop usage is going to attract major software developers, you should probably rethink why they aren't publishing native Linux versions of their proprietary software. The entire Gnu/Linux system was built around the idea that we didn't want proprietary software, we wanted Free software. That's the entire underlying principal behind the free and open source software movement. Major software companies more than likely look at Gnu/Linux and rationalize, correctly or not, that as a community, we wouldn't use their products even if they were available due to our philosophical foundations.

daksai3
January 2nd, 2011, 10:45 PM
alright, i see your points. u win, i need sleep. but ubuntu still needs more users and a new approach to get them.

Skara Brae
January 2nd, 2011, 10:56 PM
I have ben using Ubuntu since a few years, and as a user-without-much-experience, I have been thinking about this.

As I see it, the strenght of GNU/Linux is also its weakness.

MS Windows is so successful, because there is only one organisation that 'promotes' it.

If a "Windows-only" user wants to try out Linux, then she first of all has to start choosing which distribution... "Gee, so many?? Which one must I pick??" Only the impression that every distribution finds itself better gives Linux a bad impression.

Walk into a computer store and look at the new computers. Microsoft Windows. Why does this have to be? Linux is still nearly not well-known enough. It still has a too "nerdy", "geeky" image with the general public.

If there was one organisation that was able to promote Linux (promote, not produce) in the way that Microsoft does, then Linux would become much more succesful.

So, the strenght of Linux - the various distributions that one can choose from - is at the same time its weakness: the lack of a central organisation that can take Linux to the general public in the way that Microsoft can do that.

We don't need a price tag on Linux (any distro).

We need more publicity.

ninjaaron
January 3rd, 2011, 05:36 AM
I still fail to understand why Ubuntu needs more users. It has plenty, and it's being developed more quickly than ever.

I guess I could understand your point if this were only about getting proprietary games ported to Linux. I admit that I'd like to give StarCraft II a whirl... Then again, I still had my Windows partition when it came out, and I don't now, so I guess if I really wanted it, I would have kept Windows. That, I didn't do. Windows is meh.

Anyone who wants proprietary software can keep it and use whatever the like, however. It's not like you have to choose.

piquat
January 3rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
Free is a negative to some people...

Over the holidays I was talking to my father about Ubuntu and the new computer I've built in the last few weeks. He was surprised to find that I was "only" putting a free OS on it but was relieved to find that I was dual booting with Win7.

The instant reaction by most people (Americans anyway) is that free is somehow worse.

disabledaccount
January 3rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Have You read some licence from MS (but also others)?
I think most peoples don't understand that they actually don't buy the software, but only the right to use it. This makes big difference comparing to buying f.e. car or tv.
Furthermore, you even don't get any warranty that the product you have paid for will work correctly or that it won't destroy work of your life.
MS (and most other software producers) clearly states, that they are not going to be responsible for anything. This is amazing phenomenon....

Fortunately, we don't have to pay for using ubuntu and many other free distros - this is fair :)

ninjaaron
January 3rd, 2011, 12:51 PM
Fortunately, we don't have to pay for using ubuntu and many other free distros - this is fair :)

Somehow I still end up feeling like I'm getting a good deal.

Ubuntu is like money for nothin' and chicks for free.

alaukikyo
January 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
for a lot of people those are the things that stop them from switching

what CMYK??
i bet they wouldn't even know what CMYK means in context of gimp and photoshop because an overwhelming majority is does not need prepress or desktop publishing.

also you can still buy ubuntu here http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=17

alaukikyo
January 3rd, 2011, 01:48 PM
I
I guess I could understand your point if this were only about getting proprietary games ported to Linux. I admit that I'd like to give StarCraft II a whirl... Then again, I still had my Windows partition when it came out, and I don't now, so I guess if I really wanted it, I would have kept Windows. That, I didn't do. Windows is meh.

Starcraft 2 works flawlessly in wine.

ninjaaron
January 3rd, 2011, 04:41 PM
Starcraft 2 works flawlessly in wine.

Nice to know. :)

ninjaaron
January 3rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
what CMYK??
i bet they wouldn't even know what CMYK means in context of gimp and photoshop because an overwhelming majority is does not need prepress or desktop publishing.

I've actually had problems with this in the past, for real, when I was doing graphic design for my church.

I'm not doing that anymore, but it can certainly be an issue if you, I don't know, ever want to print something professionally.

also you can still buy ubuntu here http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=17Who would ever pay for Kubuntu? yuck!

markbabc
January 3rd, 2011, 05:36 PM

the freedom in Linux/ Ubuntu is expressed by the ability to change the source code as you see fit. The freedom in Ubuntu are the countless options a user has, the ability to become root and change every bit of information that they want. this is not present in windows and mac as much and that is one of the things that truly differentiates Ubuntu from the rest.

I want Ubuntu to have a price tag to improve its image so that more people are interested. I'm looking at the qualities most people have and what they first look from a product. More users = more support, developers, and most importantly FASTER GROWTH.

How could Ubuntu NOT be the same? People would still have all the options they needed. Its not like there would be two different products. Its just that 1 of the two products would have a better OUTSIDE service. What i mean by that are services like backup, customer service, warranties, or even Canonical branded computers. As far as I know Ubuntu doesn't make money from system 76 or anything. SO that brings another question. Why are other companies taking advantage of Ubuntu while Ubuntu themselves aren't?
I fail to see how those ideals only apply to ubuntu... They apply to every Linux distro out there. The only thing ubuntu has going for it is the extreemly noob friendly environment. And people do have all the options in linux as in windows. I still think you fail to realize that linux is meant to be free. Linux isnt for everyone. This is a very good explanation http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Simian Man
January 3rd, 2011, 05:50 PM
If Ubuntu did charge people, it would lose virtually all of its current users to other distros. That wouldn't really help their cause would it?

Frogs Hair
January 3rd, 2011, 05:53 PM
I would have put off trying Ubuntu if it wasn't free . I may also be using different Linux distribution.

JDorfler
January 3rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
I fail to see how those ideals only apply to ubuntu... They apply to every Linux distro out there. The only thing ubuntu has going for it is the extreemly noob friendly environment. And people do have all the options in linux as in windows. I still think you fail to realize that linux is meant to be free. Linux isnt for everyone. This is a very good explanation http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

That is a great article you linked to. I love it.

TNT1
January 3rd, 2011, 06:27 PM
I think the OP raises a very good point. Sadly, I couldn't vote, as none of the options reflect my values.

I think Ubuntu should be paid for, but along the lines of the 'beer license'. I think Mark should be charging what people can afford to use it, and let their conscience be their guide as to their afford-ability. Dunno... I guess I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

markbabc
January 3rd, 2011, 06:31 PM
I think the OP raises a very good point. Sadly, I couldn't vote, as none of the options reflect my values.

I think Ubuntu should be paid for, but along the lines of the 'beer license'. I think Mark should be charging what people can afford to use it, and let their conscience be their guide as to their afford-ability. Dunno... I guess I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

Mark (in my opinion) is going to ruin Ubuntu. He wants to replace X with Wasteland. Hes using Unity. and the new UI changes are trying to make it "pretty" like a MAC. even copying OSX's button layout. (which was ****ing annoying!!!)

TNT1
January 3rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
I think Mark is doing the best he can. Must feel like Bart Simpson... damned if you do, damned if you don't... Ah, well, I'll always have a soft spot for a fellow south african... (oh, and I always thought without him, ubuntu as we use it today wouldn't exist... dreaming again, I guess...)

markbabc
January 3rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
I think Mark is doing the best he can. Must feel like Bart Simpson... damned if you do, damned if you don't... Ah, well, I'll always have a soft spot for a fellow south african...

No he wouldnt be dammed if he wasnt trying all these "new" things thats gona make his product suck.

Kirboosy
January 3rd, 2011, 06:52 PM
Ubuntu must make enough money off their Ubuntu Store. They have merchandise, training, and technical support. As a consumer we won't pay for training or technical support but for a business' standpoint they probably are willing to invest in support.

ninjaaron
January 3rd, 2011, 07:33 PM
Mark (in my opinion) is going to ruin Ubuntu. He wants to replace X with Wasteland. Hes using Unity. and the new UI changes are trying to make it "pretty" like a MAC. even copying OSX's button layout. (which was ****ing annoying!!!)

I love the way Ubuntu is going. I like pretty desktop environments. Unity makes sense to me.

Could this be a case of different strokes?

Kirboosy
January 3rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
I love the way Ubuntu is going. I like pretty desktop environments. Unity makes sense to me.

Could this be a case of different strokes?

Its definitely different strokes. I like Unity ok because it supports Multi-touch and gestures.

I really don't care if they replace X, just as long as everything works just as good if not better than before. If it sucks then we will have a problem but the developers hopefully will have it all squared away before they launch it.

rg4w
January 4th, 2011, 12:15 AM
the donate button doesnt attract new users. now does it?
I'm not sure an infinite increase in price would either. ;)

But you're free to sell Ubuntu if you like. I'm not aware of any restriction on selling CD copies of any GNU OS.

Dustin2128
January 4th, 2011, 01:55 AM
No. If it did, ubuntu would crash burn and die.