PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't access Ubuntu installed on partition

MargaretA
January 2nd, 2011, 03:54 AM
After two days of trying I finally got Ubuntu netbook 10.10 installed on a partition - or at least I think I did. The process seemed to go smoothly; I found the empty partition (which I'd already set up using Windows XP Pro, the existing OS) and even figured out how to set aside a separate piece for "swap". But when I rebooted there was no option to choose Ubuntu - the computer loaded Windows automatically.

I can't see the Ubuntu partition in "My Computer," although it does show in Windows' Disk Management tool (it's not labeled, though). And Ubuntu is not listed in the Windows Programs menu - which is pretty much what I was expecting. But it *is* showing in the Control Panel for Adding or Removing Programs. Except I don't want to uninstall it. I want to use it.

Isn't there supposed to be an option to boot into Ubuntu at startup? If not, how do I find it and use it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Meg

sandyd
January 2nd, 2011, 03:59 AM
After two days of trying I finally got Ubuntu netbook 10.10 installed on a partition - or at least I think I did. The process seemed to go smoothly; I found the empty partition (which I'd already set up using Windows XP Pro, the existing OS) and even figured out how to set aside a separate piece for "swap". But when I rebooted there was no option to choose Ubuntu - the computer loaded Windows automatically.

I can't see the Ubuntu partition in "My Computer," although it does show in Windows' Disk Management tool (it's not labeled, though). And Ubuntu is not listed in the Windows Programs menu - which is pretty much what I was expecting. But it *is* showing in the Control Panel for Adding or Removing Programs. Except I don't want to uninstall it. I want to use it.

Isn't there supposed to be an option to boot into Ubuntu at startup? If not, how do I find it and use it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Meg
lemme clarify first.
a) Installing using wubi (ubuntu listing in the windows programs menu) is not installing on partiton
b) How did you install it? (i.e. booting from the cd or installing from the cd)

Ravenshade
January 2nd, 2011, 04:48 AM
lemme clarify first.
a) Installing using wubi (ubuntu listing in the windows programs menu) is not installing on partiton
b) How did you install it? (i.e. booting from the cd or installing from the cd)

or from USB? (At least that was my method)

MargaretA
January 2nd, 2011, 05:19 AM
I downloaded this file:
ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso

to my Windows desktop and used Unetbootin to put it on a flash drive, then installed from the flash. I'm sorry, I can't remember the exact process after that; I've done this too many times and in too many different ways over the last couple of days and I can't keep them straight anymore. But I know I booted from the flash; I just can't remember whether I picked "try" or "install" at that point, but I think it was "install". Sorry, I'm just seriously confused at this point. I'm not used to having more than one way to install anything.

I hope that helps.

Meg

MargaretA
January 2nd, 2011, 05:28 AM
One other thing - I don't have Wubi - or Ubuntu - in my Windows Programs menu. I do have "Ubuntu Netbook" - *not* Wubi - showing on the list when I open Control Panels --> Add or Remove Programs.

Meg

sandyd
January 2nd, 2011, 05:30 AM
One other thing - I don't have Wubi - or Ubuntu - in my Windows Programs menu. I do have "Ubuntu Netbook" - *not* Wubi - showing on the list when I open Control Panels --> Add or Remove Programs.

Meg
it doesn't show up as wubi in the add/remove menu, wubi is just the name of the program thats used to install ubuntu inside windows.

ktat
January 2nd, 2011, 05:36 AM
I just can't remember whether I picked "try" or "install" at that point, but I think it was "install".
I hope that helps.

Installing for the first time can seem tricky.

From what you've described it seems there may be a problem with where grub has been installed.

I've installed Ubuntu numerous times alongside XP with no problems. Are the partitions for XP and Ubuntu on the same Hard Disk? It may be that the MBR (master boot record) of the primary partition still has the xp boot settings and that is why you're not getting the option to boot into ubuntu.

MargaretA
January 2nd, 2011, 05:39 AM
OK, so it sounds like it is installed inside Windows. I don't understand how it does that, but that's fine; there's a lot I don't understand about this whole process :). How do I access it, then? Is it supposed to show as a choice on startup, or is there some other way I get it started?

Thank you.

Meg

MargaretA
January 2nd, 2011, 06:04 AM
Installing for the first time can seem tricky.

And for the 12th time too :) Or at least it seems like that many.

From what you've described it seems there may be a problem with where grub has been installed.

What is "grub"?

I've installed Ubuntu numerous times alongside XP with no problems. Are the partitions for XP and Ubuntu on the same Hard Disk? It may be that the MBR (master boot record) of the primary partition still has the xp boot settings and that is why you're not getting the option to boot into ubuntu.

Yes, the partitions are on the same hard disk; each is 60 gigs (the full hard disk is 120). I've heard of the master boot record (from all the reading I've done lately about this), but don't really know much about it. Is it something I can change?

I guess I also don't understand what "installing alongside Windows" (any Windows) means. I *thought* it meant that Windows and Linux were on the same hard drive, but in separate partitions. But then I didn't think two different operating systems could exist in the same partition, and it seems I may be wrong about that.

Meg

Ravenshade
January 2nd, 2011, 06:15 AM
Not particularly wrong...it's actually quite sensible to install them in seperate places. But windows is quite...annoying when it comes to sharing it's information anywhere and everywhere...it's like a damn virus.

On the other hand, you can install it on the same partition through the use of Wubi...else your Windows os will be quickly wiped out.

confused10
January 2nd, 2011, 06:25 AM
I have no clue how to do anything I am soooo lost.

Ravenshade
January 2nd, 2011, 06:28 AM
psst - please open your own thread.

MargaretA
January 2nd, 2011, 06:56 AM
I have no clue how to do anything I am soooo lost.

It's true, this needs its own thread - but I can sure sympathize. :)

I have accomplished one thing here, though. I have managed to turn off those animated smilies. So even though I haven't found my Ubuntu yet, at least my headache won't get any worse.

Meg