PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] obsoleted mac owner needs help

marcretired
January 2nd, 2011, 01:13 AM
hello everybody,
here's my sad story. my online broker(Scottrade) is doing an upgrade of their trading page(Scottrader) and this bleeding edge technology(latest java) requires a pc or intel based mac(64-bit thingy, something). the old mac mini G4 is apparently now a relic and a hasbeen. instead of running out and buying a new mac or a pc, I am looking around at computers and the linux OS. I see where System 76 has some moderately priced machines that come loaded with Ubuntu(drivers, browser, etc.) I email, I surf the internet reading news, I google, and I try to keep a handle on my portfolio with the broker. maybe I might want to add a printer someday, also download from a camera?
having been a mac operator(not a computer guy) from the 90's can I make the transition, painlessly?

thank you

kaldor
January 2nd, 2011, 01:15 AM
Can you post the specs of your Mac? If you're still on OS X, you can get the RAM, Processor speed, etc by going to the Apple logo on the top left and clicking "About this Mac".

stmiller
January 2nd, 2011, 01:17 AM
System76 has a dedicated support forum here with lots of info:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=341

kaldor
January 2nd, 2011, 01:18 AM
Ah, then in that case your G4 should be able to run it :)

After googling, the g4 wasn't as underpowered as I suspected.

On another note, I'd recommend you buy a new iMac if you can. Since you're used to the Mac OS, the newer iMacs should suit you for another long time :)

perspectoff
January 2nd, 2011, 01:23 AM
Better make sure your online trading program works. Java ought to work on any platform -- there isn't Java for the old Macs?

My sister came around with her extremely expensive MacBook Pros over Christmas, crowing about with she could do with them.

I then fired up a copy of Ubuntu I had installed on one of my partitions (to mimic the Mac OS X look, feel, and programs -- well, not identical ones, of course).

I then challenged her to tell the difference. She couldn't. In fact, she thought I had installed Mac OS X on my laptop. I was able to do things she had never figured out how to do on her expensive and trendy toys -- video manipulation, advanced graphics, web servers.

Mind you, I don't particularly like the Mac look and feel. I do have Mac OS X on my laptop (on yet another partition) but I never use it. I don't use Ubuntu regularly, either.

I am primarily a Kubuntu user, which I think is cleaner and easier to navigate.

But if you are a Mac user you will be able to customise Ubuntu so it is nearly indistinguishable. And far, far less expensive.

marcretired
January 2nd, 2011, 04:20 PM
thanks for the replies.

current mac mini is--
Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: PowerMac10,1
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Processor Speed: 1.25 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.9f1
Serial Number (system): YM4518TSRHT

the current OS is OS10.5.8 (leopard) and that's as far as I can go. the 10.6(snow leopard) stuff is for the dual core 64-bit Intel cpu machines. by the way, the last ubuntu I can load on this machine is 10.04(for ppc), 10.10 won't load.

the last java update I can run is J2SE 5.0 32-bit 1.5.0-26-b03.

what I need to run is the equivalent of JRE 1.6.0-??(update #??)

throwing $600-800 at the computer store every 5 years is ridiculous or at least I'm still resistant to the idea. hmmph!

NightwishFan
January 2nd, 2011, 04:26 PM
If you are still interested in buying a Linux machine, try Zareason as well:
http://zareason.com/shop/home.php