PDA

View Full Version : Your linux new years resolutions?

weasel fierce
January 1st, 2011, 11:30 PM
What resolutions do you have for the new year involving linux?

perspectoff
January 1st, 2011, 11:43 PM
To simplify the instructions in order to speed up the installation of password-protected WebDAV folders.

WebDAV is able to be quickly enabled in (K)Ubuntu in a quick and straightforward manner using Apache so that folders can easily be shared over the web using HTTP (and therefor accessed by almost all browsers and nearly all file managers).

So a geek from California can access his folders from any computer worldwide using just a browser, if needed.

WebDAV is superior to competing MS technologies, for example, but at first glance is somewhat mysterious to implement.

If it weren't for this thread, though, I wouldn't have started. But now I've rustled up my WebDAV instructions and fulfilled my first NY's resolution:

Ubuntuguide.org:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/U_WebDAV

Kubuntuguide.org:
http://kubuntuguide.org/K_WebDAV

Austin25
January 1st, 2011, 11:52 PM
Yes! I plan on getting better at programming, switching my router/home-server to Ubuntu Server Edition from Xubuntu, and upgrade our network to work with IPv6.

geekguy
January 1st, 2011, 11:58 PM
Make a Debian installer from a Python script I am writing, make the script worth using, figure out how to really mess around with my Ubuntu...

andymorton
January 2nd, 2011, 12:22 AM
I've been thinking about installing Arch on my laptop for a while now. I might, sometime soon, eventually get around to doing it.

NightwishFan
January 2nd, 2011, 12:25 AM
To do enough research to get my linux kernel patch project going.

Spice Weasel
January 2nd, 2011, 12:29 AM
Well, since Damn Small is horribly outdated I've been working on a LFS build that's basically an all-in-one Live CD for legacy PCs.

Attempting to compile some gigabytes in programs on a machine with 30MB of memory is hell. It's going to be awesome when I'm finished, though!

lisati
January 2nd, 2011, 12:42 AM
Here are some thoughts from my resolution list

Support Mrs Lisati in getting the fridge working better (it's not cooling as well as it should, especially the freezer compartment. I've done what I can.)
Figure out how to build up a nest egg to pay for new toys and other "shopping therapy" occasions.
Get my laptop up and running again without breaking it or the bank
Squeeze some more performance out of my server (might mean an upgrade or replacement, it's nearly 6 years old)

Edit: I just checked the freezer section of our fridge, the ice trays actually contain ice, so we might not need to call in the repairman! Yay!

TeoBigusGeekus
January 2nd, 2011, 12:45 AM
I've been thinking about installing Arch on my laptop for a while now. I might, sometime soon, eventually get around to doing it.

Do it... NOW!!!!

Austin25
January 2nd, 2011, 01:16 AM
Well, since Damn Small is horribly outdated I've been working on a LFS build that's basically an all-in-one Live CD for legacy PCs.

Attempting to compile some gigabytes in programs on a machine with 30MB of memory is hell. It's going to be awesome when I'm finished, though!

I'd like to see it. :) I bet it will work in DOSBox, since you can boot from an iso. My only concern is the emulated hardware compatibility and efficiency.

kgarbutt
January 2nd, 2011, 01:18 AM
Start fly fishing.

Guitar John
January 2nd, 2011, 01:57 AM
Learn what I can about Linux and pro-audio.

Endomancer
January 2nd, 2011, 03:04 AM
Finish my Cert 3 IT course and possibly start cert 4 IT Multimedia
Install Ubuntu server on the dinosaur and familiarise myself with it ahead of my networking module

JDShu
January 2nd, 2011, 03:22 AM
- Finish my current game.

- Get involved in a major oss project.

Termana
January 2nd, 2011, 04:22 AM
4096p :p

juancarlospaco
January 2nd, 2011, 08:21 AM
1024x768@32bit

asifnaz
January 2nd, 2011, 10:56 AM
I will buy a very old laptop . Like Pentium I with 32 mb ram and try to put some Linux distro on it .

I wonder if anybody has done this..??

bouncingwilf
January 2nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Start fly fishing.

That's nearly as frustrating as coding! but much more fun - I've been at it for over 40 years ( both coding and fly-fishing) and am competent enough to say I've still got more to learn!

Bouncingwilf

ninjaaron
January 2nd, 2011, 11:54 AM
I want to figure out how to build from source. That always turns into a nightmare whenever I do it.

I want to install an Arch partition.

I want to get my Dell Inspiron Duo preforming with UNE in tablet mode on a level that will make my friends with iPads insanely jealous.

I want to learn enough shell commands to write simple scripts to do whatever I need. I never really have a need scripts, however, so I doubt this will happen.

I want to get one of my friends using Ubuntu or Mint.

That should be doable.

Anyone know a good tutorial for building from source? I always have trouble finding the dependencies and resolving them. Oh source code, how you always mock me!!

Spice Weasel
January 2nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
I'd like to see it. :) I bet it will work in DOSBox, since you can boot from an iso. My only concern is the emulated hardware compatibility and efficiency.

Thank you! I'm using a 2.4 kernel, which I hope will be able to cope with the majority of 1994-2002 hardware. Testing will be done on my old laptop via SSH, and some on DOSBox.

EDIT - Any help as to a name would be appreciated. I'm kind of stuck.

I will buy a very old laptop . Like Pentium I with 32 mb ram and try to put some Linux distro on it .

I wonder if anybody has done this..??

Yes. Lots of people. There are many distros that will run with 30MB of memory, including Damn Small Linux, Alpine Linux, BasicLinux, Micro Core (NOT Tiny Core) and most lighter command line distros with i486 versions.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
January 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
1920*1200+1600*1200

t0p
January 2nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
I have resolved to keep my netbook OS up-to-date-ish. I installed Maverick on it a few days ago; it's a bit slow on this hardware, so I might switch to Lubuntu. But regardless of precise flavour, I plan to upgrade more frequently. When I upgraded my netbook to 10.10, that was the first upgrade since 9.04!

My desktop machine will continue to use LTS releases. It's running 10.04 right now, and that will continue until the next LTS (12.04 I believe?). But I gotta stop being so lackadaisical when it comes to the netbook. I dunno... I used to be more adventurous in my salad days (hence my decision to install Breezy all those years ago); but since hitting the big four-oh I've become a right lazy so-and-so.

Incidentally, I have also resolved to learn python (a computer-related resolution) and learn to play the tin/penny whistle (not really computer-related. But I do plan to use online tutorials, so maybe it does count as computer-related after all). If all goes well, I will replace the sound-effects on my computer with penny whistle versions, plus I'll record a bunch of self-played xmas carol mp3s and make them available to forum users. What fun, eh?

msandoy
January 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
I'm going to learn more about ssh, and base my home server solely on that. No need for samba vnc or ftp. Ssh, sshfs and sftp covers all my needs. And I will start fiddeling with development releases. I might even find some bug to report, and that means I will be contributing. :-)

t0p
January 2nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
I'm going to learn more about ssh, and base my home server solely on that. No need for samba vnc or ftp. Ssh, sshfs and sftp covers all my needs. And I will start fiddeling with development releases. I might even find some bug to report, and that means I will be contributing. :-)

Oh gosh yes. I have a huuuge network at home (2 computers!) and ssh does everything! Sftp allows me to drag and drop stuff from one machine to the next, ssh -X enables me to use graphical applications from one box on another... I love ssh. VNC is a waste of space, na na dee na na!

andymorton
January 2nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
Do it... NOW!!!!

I think I will when I get back home. I've been at my girlfriend's place over new year so until I head back I'll do some reading on the Arch wiki.

markbabc
January 2nd, 2011, 09:07 PM
ninjaaron and andymorton: Do it. Arch is pure win.

sudoer541
January 2nd, 2011, 10:07 PM
My new years resolution is 1024 X 768 pixels. :lolflag:

earthpigg
January 2nd, 2011, 10:17 PM
I converted two non-techy friends to Ubuntu as their primary computer operating system in 2010.

It would be nice if I matched that, but it isn't going to be a resolution.

wolfgangmcq
January 2nd, 2011, 10:32 PM
Switch my school over to Linux (Work started 2010, very much not finished!)

tame_lx_tech
January 2nd, 2011, 11:41 PM
convert friends to linux

beercz
January 3rd, 2011, 11:50 PM
Continue to enjoy using linux

Dustin2128
January 4th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Thank you! I'm using a 2.4 kernel, which I hope will be able to cope with the majority of 1994-2002 hardware. Testing will be done on my old laptop via SSH, and some on DOSBox.

I would not recommend that, you should try to strip down a 2.6 kernel. IMO you should use SliTaz as an example/codebase.
Anyway, I want to try and get through a gentoo install, get a character to 50 on regnum so I can get rid of that nagging feeling and start working on my C.

jhsu802701
January 4th, 2011, 02:41 AM
My Linux New Year's resolution is to switch to Windows Vista or 7.

I have a cynical attitude towards the tradition of New Year's resolutions. There seems to be a curse - anything that has the label of "New Year's resolution" doesn't work out. Just look how many people resolve to quit smoking, lose weight, and get more exercise.

ilovelinux33467
January 4th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Continue to use Linux (openSUSE) and look forward to KDE SC 4.6 coming out on the 26th this month! :KS

rg4w
January 4th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Two for me:

- Install Fedora on one of my systems to broaden my otherwise-Ubuntu-centric horizons

- This is the year I attend SCaLE: http://www.socallinuxexpo.org

Hur Dur
January 4th, 2011, 06:26 AM
1.) To get an up to date Linux distro with a GUI to run on 8mb RAM.

Right now I'm working on Debian, but the least I have gotten it is to 28mb. SliTaz, 20mb. I'll probably settle on using SliTaz justx, and put TinyWM or JWM on it.

2.) To get as far away from easy to use distros as possible. I'm gradually working my way up to BasicLinux and using CLI instead of a GUI.

julio_cortez
January 4th, 2011, 09:03 AM
What resolutions do you have for the new year involving linux?The same of the last year: 1680x1050.

No wait, I think I've just misunderstood :P
I don't have resolutions really, I like Mint and I feel comfortable with it (to the extent that I use it more than Windows when I'm at home) plus it works the way it's supposed to do, so my resolution is "don't fix what ain't broken".

Spice Weasel
January 4th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I would not recommend that, you should try to strip down a 2.6 kernel. IMO you should use SliTaz as an example/codebase.
Anyway, I want to try and get through a gentoo install, get a character to 50 on regnum so I can get rid of that nagging feeling and start working on my C.

2.4 is the most stable and tested kernel, while 2.6 is still under development and new bugs are being discovered every day. 2.4 also keeps support for older hardware which is no longer included in 2.6 and is much smaller and more suited towards older PCs. I would rather not sacrifice speed and some hardware support to gain several new features. Of course, a version with 2.6 will be available.

xintera.
January 4th, 2011, 09:36 AM
2560x1200 on Ubuntu 10.10 (WIDE)

sudoer541
January 7th, 2011, 03:48 AM
LOL!:lolflag:

Khakilang
January 7th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Try to broaden my skill on Linux especially the CLI. Test as much Distros as I can. Putting some life into old computer and try to make some money out of it. I know I will continue to enjoy Linux.

Hur Dur
January 7th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Putting some life into old computers.

Pretty much this. I plan on buying some old computers soon for this sole purpose. I enjoy testing out OS on pre-historic hardware. I plan on buying a computer with 8mb RAM soon, so I can see what distros I can run on it.

szymon_g
January 7th, 2011, 04:39 AM
take (and, hopefully, pass) RHCSA course :), than- get an IT related job (even helpdesk)

Dustin2128
January 7th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Mine's currently 2560x1080, planning on upping that to 3840x1080 with tri-monitors.

czig49
January 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM
my resolution is to get both of my fugitsu lifebooks(netbook) on a linux system having a nasty time of it so far. tried ubuntu and netbook ubuntu, darn things dont have enough memory to load the system. puppy linux has been a bear to get on either machine. but i will stick to it. i need a house without windows

Red Kelly
January 7th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Get good marks in my engineering degree (mechatronics), learn python and other languages and to be more involved in the Ubuntu community.

StaticIp
January 7th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Be 100% Ubuntu! and get rid of VirtualBox for good!