PDA

View Full Version : Laptop and 10.10

mamamia88
January 1st, 2011, 11:26 PM
Anyone else have a laptop and have a bunch of freezing on 10.10? It's the main reason I'm searching for a new distro right now. Went back to windows 7 a few months ago but really want to get back into the Linux world.

NightwishFan
January 2nd, 2011, 12:36 AM
Any periodic (non permanent) freezing I had was due to Compiz on the Nvidia drivers. Try burning a live cd, running the check to ensure it was burned right, and testing for a while from the live cd session. After the freezing, if it is not permanently stuck, check the logs for information.

what_indeed
January 2nd, 2011, 01:45 AM
I had the same problem, cpu froze & spiked every 9.5 sec. I simply went to Update Manager and ran it, it downloaded a kernel patch automatically and the problem disappeared without even having to reboot!

kaldor
January 2nd, 2011, 01:58 AM
If you want something similar to Ubuntu, but not quite as easy/polished, go for LMDE. Link is in my sig below ;)

mamamia88
January 2nd, 2011, 02:03 AM
yeah i tried LMDE before and everything seemed to work ok. Thing is every time I downloaded an update for the xserver etc it would break comparability with the nvidia driver i installed

HermanAB
January 2nd, 2011, 06:30 AM
The freezing issues have been around for a long time. The NVIDIA device drivers are buggy and they don't seem to improve with updates. I have been running the generic VESA driver (the one Linux uses during the installation process) since I bought my laptop and it is now almost a year old.

BTW, my machine crashes in Windows 7 too - also due to the NVIDIA video driver - so going over to the dark side isn't a solution either and on a laptop one cannot change the video system.

Sooo, I'm stuck with stupid Nvidia and their crummy software.