PDA

View Full Version : Burning playable DVD's

Nagle75
January 1st, 2011, 10:34 PM
I've had a lot of trouble burning DVD's that will play on stand alone DVD players. I could do it pretty well on Windows, but I've been unsuccessful thus far on linux. More specifically, I'd like to convert & burn .avi files to playable DVD's.

1) Brasero- I've tried this several times, but the same thing happens every time. When I drag & drop the files into the window it looks like it's loading, but it never finishes loading & stalls out. It doesn't matter how I add the files to it, it does the same thing. This is a shame, because it has a really nice, simple, straight forward inter-phase.

2)tovid- This looks like it's working, but after it's been converting for a while, it chokes & gives me an error. I don't remember the error exactly, but it's something to the effect of it's a new program & has some bugs which need to be fixed.

3)DeVeDe- This is my favorite one... It appears to convert .avi to a playable DVD. When I look at the file structure, it has a menu that looks exactly like the program I used to use on windows, so I figure it's fine. Then I open the file via VLC & it starts to play the video. However, if I take this same disc out, which appears to be ok & then pop it in the stand alone DVD player, it gives me an error that it can't read it.

I'm using the same kind of media that I used when I burned discs on Windows. I think it's very possible that I'm not using these programs correctly, so I'm hoping to get some ideas of things to try. You may ask why burn discs when you can watch video w/ a media player? I live w/ someone that's using my computer constantly & it would really help ease the tension if I could burn a bunch of movies or shows. Thanks in advance for your time & help :)

perspectoff
January 1st, 2011, 11:01 PM
I use QDVDAuthor.

It allows me to create a DVD menuing system (for chapters, special features, etc) and to create multiple DVD options.

I prefer to convert using MPG-2 files (which are generally similar in their settings to VOB files) for creating DVDs.

I make all my DVDs using this (and I happen to be making one at the moment).

Nagle75
January 1st, 2011, 11:29 PM
I use QDVDAuthor.

It allows me to create a DVD menuing system (for chapters, special features, etc) and to create multiple DVD options.

I prefer to convert using MPG-2 files (which are generally similar in their settings to VOB files) for creating DVDs.

I make all my DVDs using this (and I happen to be making one at the moment).

Does this program actually burn a disc, or does it only perform the conversion?