PDA

View Full Version : Do you put filter paper in your French press/cafetiere?

t0p
January 1st, 2011, 09:47 PM
I don't. I have read that the paper removes oils from the coffee that are best left in the brew. The small amount of residue in the bottom of the cup doesn't bother me.

MisterGaribaldi
January 1st, 2011, 10:16 PM
I haven't had French press coffee in a while. Now that you mention it, it sounds like a good idea.

And no, I don't use anything beyond the metal microfilter screen provided.

wilee-nilee
January 1st, 2011, 10:23 PM
No filter and Turkish grind, I want ever bit oh the good stuff.;)

tgalati4
January 2nd, 2011, 12:02 AM
How else am I going to read my fortune?

sgosnell
January 2nd, 2011, 12:54 AM
I've never even considered using filter paper. It sounds like much more trouble than it would be worth, and I'm not even sure how that would work. Cutting paper to the right size, and trying to make it stay exactly in place on the bottom, upside down, sounds like way too much effort to make it worthwhile. I suppose one could pour the coffee through a filter to the cup, but again I don't see the point. With the proper grind, it's moot anyway. If I grind my own beans, then I will get some amount of fine solids coming through, but if it's fine enough to get through the screen, then I don't care.

joninkrakow
January 3rd, 2011, 09:36 PM
No need for a filter, and no need for a press. Pour the grounds, pour the water, (making sure you add your sugar and cream before you add the water), and then gently stir for a couple seconds, and wait. After about three minutes, all the grounds will start to sink to the bottom as they have surrendered all their flavor. I generally stir a little more to break the surface tension, so the bulk of the remaining grounds sink, and start sipping--and yes, the finest grind possible. I can guarantee you won't find a better-tasting coffee than this--though the press is about as close as you can get.