PDA

View Full Version : Man responsible 1/3 of the worlds spam heads to court.

cptrohn
January 1st, 2011, 09:22 PM
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/man-behind-a-third-of-the-worlds-spam-heading-to-court/?src=Outbrain

tgalati4
January 1st, 2011, 09:48 PM
I hope he gets fined at least a penny per email.

weasel fierce
January 1st, 2011, 09:51 PM
A third ? Yikes.

Are there any figures for how much raw data all this spam really takes up on a daily basis?

MisterGaribaldi
January 1st, 2011, 10:36 PM
"Alas poor Oleg, I knew him well..." :guitar:

cammin
January 2nd, 2011, 12:49 AM
A third ? Yikes.

Are there any figures for how much raw data all this spam really takes up on a daily basis?

This isn't intended to be accurate, but it will give you an idea of the scale involved.

Say the average spam email sent out is 1KB (on the small side, but it saves me some math)
It gets sent from a spam server, to a computer on the botnet, to an email server, then to an email user when they check it.

So 10 billion emails taking 3 trips to get to their destination.

So 18-28TB of bandwidth (depends on if people actually read it), and 9TB of wasted space on email servers everywhere.
And that's just the data of the emails themselves. It doesn't include any of the overhead involved.

weasel fierce
January 2nd, 2011, 01:06 AM
This isn't intended to be accurate, but it will give you an idea of the scale involved.

Say the average spam email sent out is 1KB (on the small side, but it saves me some math)
It gets sent from a spam server, to a computer on the botnet, to an email server, then to an email user when they check it.

So 10 billion emails taking 3 trips to get to their destination.

So 18-28TB of bandwidth (depends on if people actually read it), and 9TB of wasted space on email servers everywhere.
And that's just the data of the emails themselves. It doesn't include any of the overhead involved.

Yikes. Thats quite a lot. And a lot of those messages are vastly above 1 kb too.

lisati
January 2nd, 2011, 01:25 AM

The American "penny" might be worth more than a New Zealand penny if you go by face value. If memory serves correctly, there were 12 pennies in a shilling, and 10 cents was the equivalent of a shilling when New Zealand changed to decimal currency back in 1967..... :)

ki4jgt
January 2nd, 2011, 01:31 AM
My question: If all the spam in the world dissapeared, how many of you guys would miss it? It's the most annoying things in life that most people love. They get soo attached to being annoyed by these things. :-)

Imagine a day where you log into your email account and no one has emailed you. On top of that, you aren't getting these crappy ads for eharmony or bots emailing you, how boring would that be :-(?

mips
January 2nd, 2011, 08:14 AM
My question: If all the spam in the world dissapeared, how many of you guys would miss it? It's the most annoying things in life that most people love. They get soo attached to being annoyed by these things. :-)

Imagine a day where you log into your email account and no one has emailed you. On top of that, you aren't getting these crappy ads for eharmony or bots emailing you, how boring would that be :-(?

I've been virtually spam free since 2004 as a beta user of Gmail and I tell you it's absolute bliss!

GabrielYYZ
January 2nd, 2011, 08:45 AM

i'd miss spam about as much as i miss a swift kick to the groin area... or "less than not at all"

juancarlospaco
January 2nd, 2011, 08:54 AM
He cook a lot of canned food ?

koleoptero
January 2nd, 2011, 01:31 PM
He cook a lot of canned food ?

Yeah with eggs. Our secret sources say that when they arrested him he was having spam and eggs for breakfast.

http://urbanflyventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Spam-and-Eggs.jpg

t0p
January 2nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Yeah with eggs. Our secret sources say that when they arrested him he was having spam and eggs for breakfast.

http://urbanflyventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Spam-and-Eggs.jpg

Actually, that's spam, spam, egg, rice, pasta worms, flower and spam.

EDIT: I forgot the green thing.

mips
January 2nd, 2011, 01:43 PM
EDIT: I forgot the green thing.

Parsley.

t0p
January 2nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
Parsley.

In that case: the meal pictured is spam, spam, egg, rice, pasta worms, spam, flower, parsley and spam.

I wonder: is that a double-yolked egg? Or 2 eggs fried in such a way that the whites blended in the pan?

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2011, 02:36 PM
I've been virtually spam free since 2004 as a beta user of Gmail and I tell you it's absolute bliss!
gmail is very nice at keeping my inbox spam free.

I just wish Google could get rid of my snailmail spam! :p

Spice Weasel
January 2nd, 2011, 02:40 PM
I just wish Google could get rid of my snailmail spam! :p

It's simple: Buy a dog! Preferably a terrier.

Then you will never have to worry about spam again, or any snail mail for that matter. Because the postman would rather castrate himself than go to your house.

Old Marcus
January 2nd, 2011, 02:51 PM
You can't have spam and eggs without the spam! It wouldn't be spam and eggs then!

t0p
January 2nd, 2011, 03:18 PM
Incidentally: some of you are talking like a lynch mob. Who's handing out the flaming torches?

The linked article says he's going to court and that he is pleading not guilty. Whatever happened to that presumption of innocence? Is being Russian proof of dastardly deeds?

But never mind. Maybe he can get a shrink to diagnose him with Asperger's or something.

WRDN
January 2nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
You can't have spam and eggs without the spam! It wouldn't be spam and eggs then!

Still prefer spam, eggs, spam, spam, bacon and spam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE) :D

t0p
January 2nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
gmail is very nice at keeping my inbox spam free.

Yes, Gmail deals with my spam very well too.

I wish Yahoo did as well as Google at this. I have a Yahoo email account that I use for registering to some sites, signing online petitions and the like - and its inbox is 90% unsolicited ****** ads, beautiful girls "in my area" who would love to meet me, announcements that I've won competitions that I never even entered, etc etc.

If Gmail can filter this stuff out so well, why can't Yahoo? I suspect that Yahoo has a vested interest in spam, and that Oleg Nikolaenko is just the fall guy...

ki4jgt
January 2nd, 2011, 04:26 PM
What about these:
http://boingboing.net/images/337066999_e6ac1e79c8.jpg

Dr. C
January 3rd, 2011, 12:55 AM

$0.01 US per email seems fair to me. I would however be opposed to a larger fine :wink:

lisati
January 3rd, 2011, 01:00 AM
If the guy gets fined, will he require an advance fee?

simpleblue
January 3rd, 2011, 01:30 AM
Life in jail would be the proper punishment.

Why this extreme you say?

Because if people know that they would only get 3 years in jail for the potential benefit of spamming the entire world, then more will do it.

$250,000 is not nearly enough.