PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sony Vaio VPCCW21FX Live USB black screen issue.

jaythedogg
January 1st, 2011, 05:34 PM
Hi guys, first of all, specs:

Sony Vaio VPCCW21FX Laptop
Intel Core i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz 2.13GHz
4.00 GB DDR3
64 Bit
Nvidia 310M with CUDA 256MB Dedicated Graphics Memory

Okay, basically I downloaded the 64 bit version of 10.10 Ubuntu from the official site, used pendrive linux to install it to my SanDisk 4 GB USB stick & put it in the laptop after setting the BIOS to boot from USB.

I started it, got the Ubuntu selection screen for liveCD, chose "Run Ubuntu from USB", I get all the scrolling text, then it goes blank screen, USB is still live (flashing from data read occasionally) & I get the Ubuntu spash sounds (Like at the splash screen).

Any help? I can't figure it out with searches either. I am reading about people who have graphics issues & freeze, but I get the sound each & every time & it appears to try to load, but no screen. Any help guys?

jaythedogg
January 1st, 2011, 06:04 PM
In order to edit my grub.cfg file in /boot/grub.cfg on my USB, where do I put nomodeset?

Nevermind this question... Any idea on the main issue?

jaythedogg
January 4th, 2011, 02:50 AM
See original question

jaythedogg
January 10th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Been nearly a week, has anyone a clue about how to address this issue?

jaythedogg
January 13th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Been three days since the last post, bump & any ideas?

Quackers
January 13th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Can you use the live session from the cd by choosing the nomodeset option?
Press Esc key during booting from cd, choose language, press F6, choose nomodeset option.

Phis
January 14th, 2011, 08:40 PM
The live session doesn't seem to work, you have to install using the alternative install. Here is the link to a related post for vpccw21fx

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1481842

the video card install was also troublesome but now seems to have been fixed in the new nvidia driver. I suggest you read through the forum.