PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Uninstall google earth

raequin
January 1st, 2011, 04:20 PM
Running Ubuntu 10.04 I recently installed Google Earth by downloading and double-clicking "google-earth-stable_current_amd64.deb". It does not work at all and I would like to uninstall it. I've been unable to find help by searching so I'm turning to you.

None of the instructions on the eHow discussion (http://www.ehow.com/how_2279483_uninstall-google-earth-ubuntu.html) seem to help. Google Earth seems to have installed in the /opt/google/earth/free/ directory. Any suggestions? Thanks,

gandaran
January 1st, 2011, 04:35 PM
if you used a .deb package to install then open synaptic package manager or ubuntu software center and look for the google earth package, mark for complete removal and click the apply button.
note that if you installed google earth version 6 you need to install the 'lsb-core' package from the system package manager to run google earth, google earth wont work without this pacakge installed.

HazelIced
January 3rd, 2011, 08:13 PM
if you used a .deb package to install then open synaptic package manager or ubuntu software center and look for the google earth package, mark for complete removal and click the apply button.
note that if you installed google earth version 6 you need to install the 'lsb-core' package from the system package manager to run google earth, google earth wont work without this pacakge installed.
THANK YOU!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
I was stuck like 2 days looking for why it wouldn't run and a way to uninstall it. Guess I was over-thinking it all and never thought on checking Synaptic. Thank you again Gandaran!

jcolyn
January 4th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Once you un-install you can re-install by following the below instructions. This will install the current version.

If you want to install the latest current version of Googleearth follow these simple steps and you will have it up and running in no time.

First though you will need to purge any installs or attempts at installing Googleearth.

These terminal entries have to be entered exactly as typed below so you may want to copy/paste into your terminal.

To start: Make sure your internet connection is active then open a terminal and enter
sudo apt-get install lsb-core Once done enter
sudo apt-get install googleearth-package After the package is installed enter
sudo make-googleearth-package --force This process will take several minutes and you will see many warning notices but ignore them.

Once the above process is completed close the terminal and go to your /home folder where you will find a googleearth_xx.deb package. Double-click it and follow instructions.

Once installed you should have the Googleearth link in your Internet folder.

Enjoy

raequin
January 4th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks everybody.

gandaran
January 4th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Once you un-install you can re-install by following the below instructions. This will install the current version.

If you want to install the latest current version of Googleearth follow these simple steps and you will have it up and running in no time.

First though you will need to purge any installs or attempts at installing Googleearth.

These terminal entries have to be entered exactly as typed below so you may want to copy/paste into your terminal.

To start: Make sure your internet connection is active then open a terminal and enter
sudo apt-get install lsb-core Once done enter
sudo apt-get install googleearth-package After the package is installed enter
sudo make-googleearth-package --force This process will take several minutes and you will see many warning notices but ignore them.

Once the above process is completed close the terminal and go to your /home folder where you will find a googleearth_xx.deb package. Double-click it and follow instructions.

Once installed you should have the Googleearth link in your Internet folder.

Enjoy
why go through this process if you can download the .deb package from google now http://www.google.com/intl/en/earth/download/ge/agree.html and install with two clicks!

safir
October 17th, 2012, 09:33 PM
why go through this process if you can download the .deb package from google now http://www.google.com/intl/en/earth/download/ge/agree.html and install with two clicks!
I installed Google Earth by dowloading the .deb file from google and also by the google earth package method described above, either way the result is the same. Once you start google earth, the first welcome screen appears for a few seconds , then disappears and leaves a blank screen. Earlier I had installed the previous version of google earth which worked fine till a couple of weeks ago when it started to behave the same way. I have tried to uninstall and re-install but no luck.

CharlesA
October 17th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Please create a new thread instead of resing one from a year and a half ago.