PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I have videos but it says no videos found

bludshot
January 1st, 2011, 08:21 AM
In mythbuntu by default it creates folders like /home/username/Videos, /home/username/Music.

So I want to store my videos in that Videos folder.

So then in MythTV I set my video folder to /home/myusername/Videos instead of the default mythtv location.

But then when I go to actually watch the videos in mythtv it says there are none. [note: There *are* actually several videos in that folder]

plz help

sami8519
January 1st, 2011, 08:40 AM
Hi,

Press menu from remote control or M from the keyboard and choose scan for changes. It should find your videos now.

Regards
Sam

williammanda
January 1st, 2011, 06:55 PM
Check your storage group setting in myth backend. That where it will look for your videos.

frego
January 1st, 2011, 09:08 PM
also, check and fix ownership and permissions.

sudo chmod 777 /home/username/Videos/* -R

bludshot
January 2nd, 2011, 03:07 AM
Press menu from remote control or M from the keyboard and choose scan for changes. It should find your videos now.

Pressing M just brings up a box that says "System Menu" and it has two options: About and Close. About shows a version number. There's no "scan for changes"

Check your storage group setting in myth backend. That where it will look for your videos.

I checked the storage group setting in the myth backend and added my folder for videos. But still no videos show up in mythtv under Videos in the media library. (I confirmed there are 3 .avi video files in the folder though.)

also, check and fix ownership and permissions.

sudo chmod 777 /home/username/Videos/* -R

Ok I did this but still it shows no videos :|

What else can I check or do?

thanks!

bludshot
January 2nd, 2011, 03:58 AM
Ah, pressing M and scan for changes DOES work, but you have to press it when you're on the videos page. (I was pressing it on the main menu and in the video storage settings pages...)

microtechno
January 2nd, 2011, 06:43 AM
Was going to suggest getting the menu in the video folder but beat me to it.
If you have got it working remember to mark solved :D

Michaelknox
January 5th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I got exactly the same issue.... I have 2 other drives with movies and I have tried adding the paths to Mythtv but no success... any help is deeply appreciated...if I place a movie in the default path is fine .. I tried to link but no luck... I placed the paths in Mythtv video storage directory configuration but nope...please help...

SJI
January 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM
If the video directory's contents change do you have to rescan in order to be able to view them?

Is there a way of having myth just show the list dynamically?

thatguruguy
January 7th, 2011, 09:34 PM
If the video directory's contents change do you have to rescan in order to be able to view them?

Yes. Which may be why the scan function is labeled "Scan for changes."

SJI
January 7th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Shame :(

I was looking for something that wouldn't need to scan everything.

newlinux
January 8th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Shame :(

I was looking for something that wouldn't need to scan everything.

I think if you enable file browser mode you won't have to scan, but you won't have metadata for files that weren't scanned and saved with metadata.

SJI
January 11th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks for that.

thatguruguy
January 11th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Or, just use thunar (or dolphin, or nautilus, or whichever file browser you use) to browse your files, and open them with vlc. Problem solved!

SJI
January 11th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Or, just use thunar (or dolphin, or nautilus, or whichever file browser you use) to browse your files, and open them with vlc. Problem solved!

Navigating nautilus with a TV remote isn't my idea of fun :(

thatguruguy
January 11th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Are you adding dozens of videos a day (or more)?

I ask this because:
A) it's pretty easy to run the scan with your remote and

B) you only have to run the scan if you really NEED your info updated
--1) you don't need to run the scan if you haven't added any videos (by downloading or ripping movies, etc.)
--2) you don't need to run the scan for things you've recorded in mythtv
--3) If you don't feel like updating the info, you don't have to. You're not going to break anything by waiting and doing it once a week.

C) Scanning is pretty quick. At least, it is on my system, but I only have ~500 Gigs of video files. YMMV.

SJI
January 11th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Are you adding dozens of videos a day (or more)?

I have scripts on a server that grab TV etc as and when it becomes available, so some days there'll be 5 or 6 new files and other days none.

I ask this because:
A) it's pretty easy to run the scan with your remote and

Indeed. But it's something i'd like to avoid.
The player that i'm trying to replace simply views the remote share and lists what's there. Hit play and i'm done. I'd like to get as close as I can to that functionality.

B) you only have to run the scan if you really NEED your info updated
--1) you don't need to run the scan if you haven't added any videos (by downloading or ripping movies, etc.)
--2) you don't need to run the scan for things you've recorded in mythtv
--3) If you don't feel like updating the info, you don't have to. You're not going to break anything by waiting and doing it once a week.

C) Scanning is pretty quick. At least, it is on my system, but I only have ~500 Gigs of video files. YMMV.

Scanning took a few minutes to complete on my system here (755GB 2,230 files). Audio took even longer.

thatguruguy
January 11th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Maybe Jamu (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Jamu) can help.

nickrout
January 11th, 2011, 08:22 AM
The player that i'm trying to replace simply views the remote share and lists what's there. Hit play and i'm done. I'd like to get as close as I can to that functionality.

Then enable browse mode in mythvideo