PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mounted ubuntu partition from linux mint live cd; suddenly became read-only

vik_2010
January 1st, 2011, 08:16 AM
I've been running ubuntu for a while, but I decided today I'd check out linux mint.

I created a live cd, and ran it. During my test, I discovered I could mount my linux partition and access my files there.

I thought this was neat, so I opened up a couple files. I didn't make any changes; i just opened them. I also opened GParted, but I don't think that makes any difference.

However, when I ended my session and rebooted Ubuntu, the partition had suddenly become read-only, and I couldn't load it.

I then rebooted my linux mint live cd. I could no longer open that partition, and "sudo stat" said the size of the partition (I think i checked the partition in /dev/sda3, where ubuntu is located) was 0.

That can't be right, though, because GParted states that sda3 has some 22 GiB of data on it.

Can anyone help me out?

Best,

-Vikram

vik_2010
January 1st, 2011, 09:14 AM
I've been running ubuntu for a while, but I decided today I'd check out linux mint.

I created a live cd, and ran it. During my test, I discovered I could mount my linux partition and access my files there.

I thought this was neat, so I opened up a couple files. I didn't make any changes; i just opened them. I also opened GParted, but I don't think that makes any difference.

However, when I ended my session and rebooted Ubuntu, the partition had suddenly become read-only, and I couldn't load it.

I then rebooted my linux mint live cd. I could no longer open that partition, and "sudo stat" said the size of the partition (I think i checked the partition in /dev/sda3, where ubuntu is located) was 0.

That can't be right, though, because GParted states that sda3 has some 22 GiB of data on it.

Can anyone help me out?

Best,

-Vikram

EDIT: When I run sudo fsck -a /dev/sda3 after booting from a live CD, a message pops up saying "A read attempt ran up short." - or something similar - "Are you sure this drive is not empty?" And running fsck -a /dev/sda4 (which is my linux swap partition) states that the "drive is in use."

I have no idea what that means.

Also: The first time, I could at least get a shell prompt for ubuntu. If I choose a linux boot at grub, now I get a blank screen, and have to reboot my box.