PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update information is outdated

Crazy K
January 1st, 2011, 05:11 AM
Hey there, I have a small error I'd like to fix. I got the yellow caution triangle is showing up. When I clicked it I'm brought to the update manager and when I click on check for updates, I get this:

http://i.imgur.com/7jJL0l.jpg

tommcd
January 1st, 2011, 06:56 AM
This is yet another problem with those all too problematic PPA repos that so many Ubuntu users seem so compelled to add to their sources.list.
Try commenting out (put a # in front of) any third party PPA repos in your
/etc/apt/sources.list, or in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory, and then run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And you should be good to go.
For the best and most trouble free results, avoid all third party repos in Ubuntu, and you will never again have problems like this.

Third party repos, including those all too problematic PPA repos, are unsupported by the Ubuntu developers.

It is possible that your problematic PPA repo is temporally unavailable. You may try using it again at a later time.

Crazy K
January 1st, 2011, 09:01 PM
I just unchecked the ppa that the error was with. So yeah, seems to be working fine now.

jcolyn
January 1st, 2011, 10:54 PM
Adding untrusted ppa's is playing a dangerous game.

You could end up with a root kit on your computer.

If a ppa is not directly connected with a Ubuntu developer I'd stay away. If the software you want is not in the repos there usually is an alternative.