PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error number5 on install

Jeff G
January 1st, 2011, 05:06 AM
I am attempting to install Ubuntu 10.04 on a Sony Vaio desktop (intel) and I am getting an error number 5 and the installer quits at the same place, 37% over several attempts.

I have tried several cd's and get the same error at the same place.

I have reset BIOS --same error at the same place

I have put a new hard drive in-- same error --same place.

I am at my wits end-- it is obviously -- something with the machine itself causing it to fail at the exact same place each time but I really don't know where to look for my next troubleshooting spot. Any ideas?

Quackers
January 1st, 2011, 05:51 AM
I know that you've tried different cd's, but were they all burned from the same downloaded iso? Did you check the MD5SUM of that iso?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Jeff G
January 1st, 2011, 06:03 AM
used 2 different isos and had same issue-- was going to try burning on a different machine but I still think this is the machine itself--- the live version on the cd will run fine-- just wont install.

Quackers
January 1st, 2011, 06:21 AM
It could also be a bad burn or a bad read.
DId you check the cd for errors? During boot from the cd (or maybe at the purple screen, can't remember) press the Esc key and you should get a screen up giving you options. One of those options should offer to check the cd for errors.

presence1960
January 1st, 2011, 06:51 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1207755&page=2

Scroll down to post #20. Please note there is a spelling error in the command to run in terminal. It reads:

uniquity --no-migration-assistant

The correct command is:

ubiquity --no-migration-assistant

It can't hurt to try it. I have used this a couple of times on clients machines. The error actually is errno 5

Jeff G
January 1st, 2011, 07:09 AM
Well I just managed to get 8.04 installed on the machine, and the software I need to run is supposed to work on this system also--- this is to run the touch screen controls on a large machine tool. So I am going to play with what I have working and not bother updating it. install completed a couple minutes after 12-- do I get a prize for the first install of the new year? LOL---thanks all.

Quackers
January 1st, 2011, 07:16 AM
Well that's good :-) No prize though :wink: