PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] After serious thinking,i welcome myself to the world of Linux Ubuntu!But help

Trolen
January 1st, 2011, 03:18 AM
After serious thinking,i welcome myself to the world of Linux Ubuntu!But help..

I made my profile,registered to the site , and i welcome myself as a Windows user,that is now making his life in Linux.

Now i am downloading both X64 and X86 Version of Ubuntu to try.Which is best for my computer because i have

Mobo:ASUS P5E
CPU:INTEL E7300
RAM:2X2GB = 4GB KINGSTON 1066MHZ

So, i have 4 GB of ram.

Is it the same as windows ?

Like theX86 is looking only the 3.25GB but the X64 More than 4 GB .. ?
is it the same in Linux ?

Another question.
I searched my company asus site about the P5E which programs are supported,it doesn't have many about the linux os.

So the question is.
I want the program SoundMax in Linux for my 5.1 Sound System to work just fine.How can i do that ?

After that another question.

I have the camera A4TECH PK-750MJ http://www.a4tech.com/product.asp?cid=77&scid=160&id=494
Not good i know.
How can i find driver's for the Linux ?

Attention i have searched their site's but i didn't find anything.

Please help a windows user to become fan of Linux and after MAC :guitar:

Foxheadz
January 1st, 2011, 04:37 AM
Well you want the intel i686/32-bit/x86 (there all the same) ubuntu. Camera wise you don't really need drivers you just need to be able to browse the memory card which should be doo-able from install. And odds are unless its completely incompatible with with your sounds system that application should work.

Chronon
January 1st, 2011, 05:27 AM
You can run either x86 or x86_64 versions on your CPU. 32 bit does normally have a limit on how much RAM it can address, but you can install the PAE kernel to stick with 32-bit system and still have access to all of your RAM.

Ubuntu has a repository with thousands of applications in it. Don't worry if Asus isn't aware of most of them.

I don't think that SoundMAX will work in Ubuntu. Is there a specific reason that you want to use this program in Ubuntu?

A few years ago webcam support was a bit "hit or miss" but it's been pretty solid for a while now. Chances are it will just work.

sjhaffner
January 1st, 2011, 05:34 AM
Welcome To Linux!

You're going to love it! (Well I hope so!)
\\:D/

CharlesA
January 1st, 2011, 05:34 AM
The 32-bit version of Ubuntu will install the PAE kernel automatically if you have 4GB of RAM or more and are connected to the internet at the time of install.

There's little difference between 32 and 64-bit.

Chronon
January 1st, 2011, 06:16 AM
The 32-bit version of Ubuntu will install the PAE kernel automatically if you have 4GB of RAM or more and are connected to the internet at the time of install.

I did not know this. Thanks for the info. :)

laithbsoul
January 1st, 2011, 06:23 AM

I didn't know that either, Thanks.

Trolen
January 1st, 2011, 12:31 PM
I have just installed :)

OK we have problem.
I don't use the SoundMax for any reason specific but is the programm to enable the 5.1 Surround System.

Now , i am On Linux Ubuntu i have just made all the update that is needed.

MY 5.1 system doesn't work.

How can i do that ?

Thank you for the other answer's about the X86 X64.

QLee
January 1st, 2011, 04:38 PM

How can i do that ?

I can't offer a definitive answer because I don't have 5.1 sound, but I suppose I would check the user's sound preferences from the menu to see if anything in there applied. System-->Preferences-->Sound

sandyd
January 1st, 2011, 04:44 PM
I have just installed :)

OK we have problem.
I don't use the SoundMax for any reason specific but is the programm to enable the 5.1 Surround System.

Now , i am On Linux Ubuntu i have just made all the update that is needed.

How can i do that ?

Thank you for the other answer's about the X86 X64.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SurroundSound

ur using pulseaudio, so follow the instructions in that section

Trolen
January 1st, 2011, 07:55 PM
I read,about what you told me.

But i still didn't do it.I hear the music but i hear a strange noise from inside it.

(Something that shouldn't be there)

gordintoronto
January 1st, 2011, 08:20 PM
To check the webcam, run Administration/Synaptic Package Manager, and install a program called Cheese. (Right click on it, select "mark for installation," then click on "apply".) It should appear in your menu under "Sound & Video". You should be able to take pictures and record videos.

Which version of Ubuntu did you install, 10.04 or 10.10?

Trolen
January 1st, 2011, 09:16 PM
The Newest one i think 10.10.

OK the webcam is automatically working without anything.

But...

We still have sound problem.
I still hear the sound from inside the speakers.

Any other suggestion ?

gordintoronto
January 2nd, 2011, 03:16 AM

Any other suggestion ?[/B]

I'm sorry, but I do not know what you mean.

sandyd
January 2nd, 2011, 03:43 AM
The Newest one i think 10.10.

OK the webcam is automatically working without anything.

But...

We still have sound problem.

Any other suggestion ?
This is the fun part.
Open the sound prefrences, alsamixer, pavucontrol and fiddle with the outputs until it works.

actually, try pavucontrol first, it seems to contain the fix for most weird pulseaudio sound issues. (check esp the configuration tab)

Trolen
January 2nd, 2011, 04:24 AM
Until now everything are good.And ok :)

Let's hope for the best.