PDA

View Full Version : High quality for local backend/frontend, low quality for remote frontend?

hallew
December 31st, 2010, 12:02 PM
Hello,

I have two mythbuntu boxes: one is a combined frontend/backend and the other is a remote frontend only machine. I'd like to make recordings at the highest possible playback quality on the frontend/backend since it can easily play those recordings back, but also get a downsampled version to watch on the remote machine. I thought the way to do this was by recording in high quality and then setting automatic transcoding to low quality, but this doesn't result in two versions, just a single low-quality version plus a lot of wasted cycles.

What is the correct approach for accomplishing my goal here of having one great-looking version to watch on the machine that can handle it, and one low-bandwidth-connection-friendly version to watch on the other machine? I'm using mythtv .24 with an hd-pvr.

Thanks!

newlinux
December 31st, 2010, 03:39 PM
Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to transcode the shows and load them in mythvideo. Otherwise I'm not sure how you'd get two versions in the recordings screen without a lot of headaches.