PDA

View Full Version : Writing a never ending story

ki4jgt
December 31st, 2010, 08:09 AM
I would like to make a text based book in which the user can read over and over without it ever being the same. Always changing, always interesting. Any projects like this out there yet?

Austin25
December 31st, 2010, 08:24 AM
Like one of those "choose your own adventure" books, combined with some sort of loop?

ki4jgt
December 31st, 2010, 03:50 PM
Like one of those "choose your own adventure" books, combined with some sort of loop?

Pretty much. I have the software thing down pat, but not the story part. Just gonna use a bunch of randomly generated numbers and few math equations to pick out the parts. Get some user input to make it interesting. Kind of like a txt based RPG. (OK, it is a text based RPG) Just need some wording which doesn't sound like it's been repeated a million times before, but yeah, that's the general idea.

Grenage
December 31st, 2010, 03:58 PM
Sounds like what you need is a thesaurus. :)

jfreak_
December 31st, 2010, 04:21 PM
I had read an actual hard book before in which the reader gets to choose the path of the hero. It was a detective novel and me as the detective would read a one or two pages at the end of which i would have to make a decision, like whether to talk to a suspect or to follow up on another clue. Depending on the choice I made, the story would move forward. It was written in a manner that some scenes could be incorporated into the story at different points of the story based on the users' choices. it is difficult though to write such a book. good luck anyway.

ki4jgt
January 2nd, 2011, 03:14 AM
I had read an actual hard book before in which the reader gets to choose the path of the hero. It was a detective novel and me as the detective would read a one or two pages at the end of which i would have to make a decision, like whether to talk to a suspect or to follow up on another clue. Depending on the choice I made, the story would move forward. It was written in a manner that some scenes could be incorporated into the story at different points of the story based on the users' choices. it is difficult though to write such a book. good luck anyway.

Thanks :-) I don't want it to end though, I want the reader to be able to read it as many times as they like and not feel as though they've read the same story twice and that it can continue from the last point in which they read.