PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gateway ID95C Ubuntu 10.10 instalation problems

December 31st, 2010, 04:55 AM
Hello all,

New guy here. Today I acquired a new Gateway ID95C portable computer. I burnt the Ubuntu 10.10 ISO from another computer previously.
Here's the problem. It reads the CD and starts correctly. The first installation completed fine (bunch of I/O errors, pressed Enter and rebooted fine). Then I got 197 updates and installed them. Reboot.
Upon reboot I was notified of a Restricted driver since this computer uses a GT 420M card. I installed that and rebooted.
That's where the problem started. It wouldn't boot into GUI, but black-and-white text (DOS-like). I was able to Log In, but the rest was just Terminal-like.
So fine, second installation (use entire disk). It finished fine too. Now I decided to skip the 197 updates and go directly to the GT 420M driver update. Reboot.
Now there's not even the DOS-like thing. It would do "Check battery status" and something, with [OK] at the other end. After a short while the system would just stop (Enter doesn't do anything), so Power button, booted again.
I checked the Disc for damage. It went through 100% (nothing wrong).
So as of right now that ID95C is doing the third installation of the night (again, use entire disk). I don't know what's wrong.
But: I went to Gateway's website and found out that the computer came with 64-bit Win7 pre-installed. The ISO that I have downloaded is 32-bit, this I remember very well. Is it because of this, or that driver.

Thank you very much. I'd sincerely be lost if I cannot install Ubuntu smoothly (although I have a Kubuntu 9.04 CD). I am currently typing on my father's computer.

December 31st, 2010, 06:11 AM
Well, third installation is fine. Didn't dare to do the nVidia driver. I guess I can live with it.
Also the brightness controls aren't working (keyboard built-in), the little applet doesn't work either.