PDA

View Full Version : It's almost 2011, how do you think the year has been for FLOSS?

Dustin2128
December 31st, 2010, 03:35 AM
Overall I'd rate it a 5/10. We've gained a few things, like wireless drivers, better AMD drivers, a fully open kernel for debian 6, and the best releases yet: lucid and maverick. But that has been counterweighted by some particularly bad decisions (from our standpoint) by oracle regarding openoffice and java, android phone makers locking down devices tighter than ever, and novell going out of business, thus loosing track of some unix patents and opening the door for some FUD stirring.

t4thfavor
December 31st, 2010, 03:39 AM
I say were just that much closer to the end of the world...

I mean look at all the signs, Oracle owns MySql... Microsoft bought alot of Novell, and the Mayans predicted that a series of tragic events would lead to the end in 2012. I think they might have been correct...

Dustin2128
December 31st, 2010, 03:45 AM
Mayans predicted that a series of tragic events would lead to the end in 2012. I think they might have been correct...
http://www.2012hoax.org/

t4thfavor
December 31st, 2010, 03:56 AM
http://www.2012hoax.org/

:)

handy
December 31st, 2010, 04:28 AM
MS, Apple, Oracle & ECM have teamed up to have a go at Google & Android. Though Google is also an Open Invention Network member & is so licensed to use these Novell patents already.

Though virtualization & office suites could also be in the mix with this gang, as would be the fight for the cloud. It should be a good blue, I put my money on Google.

The opening up of the AMD GPU tech' info' & the great deal of help that AMD have contributed to the AMD/ATi FOSS driver stack (including the kernel) has been wonderful & could eventually cause nVidia to do the same thing.

Eventually we will have AMD OSS drivers that will compete with the nVidia closed ones which is going to make the AMD GPU's a real threat to the top end commercial graphic companies that use Linux based systems. :)

The alternatives to OpenOffice.org & MySQL will flourish, Oracle can jump in the lake where they will eventually drown themselves.

I can't put a number in the poll. Overall I consider it a great year for FOSS in general, there are no insurmountable problems in front, only a broadening of the devices that FLOSS will be used on.

Ubuntu server is going from strength to strength in the corporate user market which is great for Canonical & therefore Ubuntu, as they will be making money.

The Linux desktop just keeps on slowly, steadily & unstoppably gaining more users. As Russia, China, India & Brazil keep on ramping up there Linux usage the percentage of Linux users is going to start accelerating leaving MacOS way behind & shrinking the the MS OS, hold dramatically.

This must be freaking the shite out of the 2 Steve's & quite possibly Larry Ellison too. :)

Khakilang
December 31st, 2010, 04:57 AM
As people are more concern of security and cost effective. I would say FLOSS will going to have another great year. I just hope more vendors will give more support.

Simian Man
December 31st, 2010, 05:08 AM
The poll is pretty stupid. Nobody seriously involved with Open Source has the goal of "closed src declared illegal". Both closed source and open source software improved this year - same as they have every year.

t4thfavor
December 31st, 2010, 05:15 AM
The poll is pretty stupid. Nobody seriously involved with Open Source has the goal of "closed src declared illegal". Both closed source and open source software improved this year - same as they have every year.

It should go to 11.

JDShu
December 31st, 2010, 06:32 AM
It should go to 11.

11 is more than 10 after all :D

Red Hat shares are up ~60% since March and continue to post profits. Its encouraging that Open Source has integrated well into commerce.

jrothwell97
December 31st, 2010, 06:41 AM
In before someone else (because somebody had to):

"2011 will be the year of the Linux desktop!" :P

Austin25
December 31st, 2010, 08:33 AM

No. 2011 will be the year of the Linux handheld!

Dustin2128
January 1st, 2011, 06:20 AM
That was a joke. Damn you people are too serious...

wojox
January 1st, 2011, 06:29 AM
That was a joke. Damn you people are too serious...

No I agree, you dropped the ball and got call out on it. :p

Spice Weasel
January 1st, 2011, 04:11 PM

Oh crap! You beat me to it. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10300334#post10300334) :(