PDA

View Full Version : Got a new computer today

Dustin2128
December 31st, 2010, 01:19 AM
I'm still saving my money for an eventual computer build, but I just got a fairly decent computer due to a family member's upgrade. It has 4 things I was looking forward to, plus one thing I was pleasently surprised by. It has PCI-e slots, DDR2 RAM, an SATA HDD, and a 775 socket pentium D; I am shackled to Opengl2, SDRAM, IDE HDDs, 32-bit and the year 2003 no longer! It's not a great computer, and doesn't have too much room for upgrading the RAM and processor, but finally having a somewhat modern system is a godsend. The thing I wasn't expecting is that it's extremely quiet; I can barley hear it even when everything else is turned off. Though that ends when my 9600 arrives in a few days.

t4thfavor
December 31st, 2010, 01:24 AM
My 9600GT is really quied too considering I bought the single slot card, and not the retarted huge, and loud dual slot card.

I know the feeling you have as I haven't bought anything but ram since 2003 either :)

Congrats on the new acquisition, and hopefully it will be running Linux.

Famicube64
December 31st, 2010, 01:27 AM
What if he meant Radeon 9600? That card was epic.

Dustin2128
December 31st, 2010, 01:29 AM
My 9600GT is really quied too considering I bought the single slot card, and not the retarted huge, and loud dual slot card.

I know the feeling you have as I haven't bought anything but ram since 2003 either :)

Congrats on the new acquisition, and hopefully it will be running Linux.
Good, I got the single slot one too (out of necessity though- cmos jumper arrangement stops me from buying a monster card like the 9800 GX2). And of course it runs linux! Got ubuntu maverick on at the moment, running beautifully. About to install slack.

:lolflag:

t4thfavor
December 31st, 2010, 02:55 AM

He said PCIe, not AGP, I have one of those too, and it's quiet too :)

Khakilang
December 31st, 2010, 05:49 AM
Lucky for you instead into the dumpster. That is a decent spec. Happy computing.