PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Update Errors Out

Shiseiji
December 31st, 2010, 12:25 AM
Searched by every term I could think of without results so here is the new thread.

Error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_5.0.0unbuntu7.1_amd.deb(--unpack)

Says the packet is already there. End state is to update to 10.10 but I don't know if I can skip the un-installed updates to 9.10

And the System|Administration|Software Sources| will prompt for my password, close, and then not respond at all on a second attempt.

Any ideas? I know just enough to be able to pretty much follow directions. Have loved my Ubuntu as a basic user, but these type of things stump me. :confused:

I have a 100% back-up so if I have to do a complete install can do that too.

TIA

Ron

TIA

Sef
December 31st, 2010, 01:18 AM
End state is to update to 10.10 but I don't know if I can skip the un-installed updates to 9.10

No, you have to update from 9.10 > 10.04 > 10.10. If you skip 10.04, then your system will end up broken, and a clean install will be necessary. Make sure that all your current system is fully updated first before upgrading.

Shiseiji
December 31st, 2010, 01:26 AM
Any guesses on how to correct the error so I can complete the standard updates to a current 9.10?