PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 3d desktop cube?

gmenfan83
December 30th, 2010, 11:35 PM
i have compiz installed and have it set to rotating desktop but i see some people have the 3d rotating desktop ...can anyone tell me how this is done...i have played around with my compiz settings and cant seem to get it....thanks

daqron
December 31st, 2010, 12:31 AM
Do you mean Rotate Cube (http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/ubuntu-tips-and-tricks.htm#Enable-Rotate-Cube-Effect)?

gmenfan83
December 31st, 2010, 12:45 AM
Do you mean Rotate Cube (http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/ubuntu-tips-and-tricks.htm#Enable-Rotate-Cube-Effect)?
thank you and yes ..i have that part down but i would like it to look like the shere cylinder or cube in the link below and even following the directions i cant get it .....also in the instructions to set desktop to 4 i cant for some reason i can not adjust this and can only remain at one
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/05/25/enabling-the-cube-in-compiz/

daqron
December 31st, 2010, 01:32 AM
That's pretty cool, but I've never seen it work like that, and there are lots of Google hits for the # of desktops being limited to 1 (tried it on my system; same problem). Sorry I can't be more helpful; perhaps a compiz expert is about and can assist.

Frogs Hair
December 31st, 2010, 01:51 AM
Install compiz-plugins-extra and enable 3D windows and cube deformation.

gmenfan83
December 31st, 2010, 02:48 AM
thanks Frog Hair but that still did not do it ..i have searched everywhere and cant seem to figure this out

daqron
December 31st, 2010, 02:52 AM
Try:
sudo apt-get install compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
The 3D windows still don't seem to work out of the box, but it does get you closer to the cube you wanted.

gmenfan83
December 31st, 2010, 03:12 AM
Try:
sudo apt-get install compiz-fusion-plugins-extraThe 3D windows still don't seem to work out of the box, but it does get you closer to the cube you wanted.
well i have the plug ins installe and everything checkmarkrd properly but still no go ...i think it has to do with my desktop windows i have a lot of them and i think i should only have 4 for the cube

gmenfan83
December 31st, 2010, 03:24 AM
finally figured it out ...in order to put the cube or sphere in its mode you have to hold ctrl + alt and left click on mousse....it awesome!!!

daqron
December 31st, 2010, 03:54 AM
finally figured it out ...in order to put the cube or sphere in its mode you have to hold ctrl + alt and left click on mousse....it awesome!!!
OK yeah that is pretty cool. Glad you posted the solution. I'm going to use this now :) Good work.

Rev3k
February 28th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I downloaded the plug in mentioned above and 3d windows worked, but after a restart they stopped working. In the compizconfig setting manager, nothing has changed, 3d windows is still checked and all of the detailed settings within 3d windows are the same. I have looked everywhere for solutions, I fixed all bugs found after running compiz --replace, I have added compiz into startup applications. I cant find this problem any where, is anyone familiar with it or have an idea of how to fix it?