PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual monitor different background

promal_cotton
December 30th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Not sure if this is the right place but it looks good for me. :)

So I have to monitors. One is a 23" (1920x1080) and a 15.6" (1366x768) and I want to backgrounds... I'm not sure if it's possible but I'm hoping it is... I just got Ubuntu earlier this week so I don't know much about it yet.

With Windows I used DisplayFusion but it doesn't look like it's compatible to anything other than Windows..

Herman
December 31st, 2010, 12:29 AM
Open 'System'-->'Preferences'-->'Monitors', and play around with the settings in there for a while.
We can do just about anything with monitors using settings you'll find there, have the extra monitor on the left or right, or have the display sideways to the left, right or even upside down, (for some ceiling mounted projectors I guess).
You can also set 'mirror screens' or have separate screens in each monitor.

I also found that I can plug my little ASUS EeePC 4G with it's tiny 7" screen into a large flatscreen TV by VGA cable and have a nice display. and I think that's great. I was able to display a large map, and use google earth too.

There's very little need for installing any software in Ubuntu except from the Ubuntu repositories and unless you know what you're doing you should avoid doing so. Ubuntu is not like Windows. It's far superior. I hope you will like Ubuntu. :)

EDIT: Well, I use google earth and that's outside software, but I can't help it, google earth is a necessity for me.

promal_cotton
December 31st, 2010, 01:51 AM
Yeah. I've found that so far :) lol.
And yes. I love Ubuntu. Way better than Windows. I've only one problem, which is the sound problem. But that doesn't go here.

Anyways... I still want to be able to change the wallpaper on each monitor. I haven't found a way to do that on the monitor preferences. If it is possible, I don't know. Just haven't found it I guess.