PDA

View Full Version : I guess outdoor sports aren't for me

~LoKe
December 30th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I went snowboarding during Christmas leave with the family. I was on an intermediate hill I was comfortable with. Some small child (5-6) was stopped on the side. I came flying down and he came sliding out into the middle all of a sudden and there was no time to turn or stop. Instead of bowling him over I decided to cut sharp. I got too much edge and fell backwards and instinctively braced the fall with my left hand. Needless to say, that was a bad idea.

Parents should watch their kids better.

I made my own splint until I get back to base to have it looked at.

Not a bad job for a one handed gimp if I do say so myself.

It was my first run down the hill that day. What a waste.

Rasa1111
December 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM
damn!

Sorry to hear that, man.

How is the pain?

I had a mate that wiped out good while we were boarding a few weeks ago.
But he didnt fracture anything.. but his face. :lol:

Nah, he basically just biffed..
flipped over forward a couple times..
then skidded on his face for about 20-30 feet.. lol

that mountain did a decent "sanding job' on his face though. :lol:

Glad you are ok.

Nice job on the splint!

yeah, parents should definitely keep a better eye on their kids..
especially on a mountain like that.

I see/have seen it all too often.

People doing just fine,
until some kids who think they own the place/don't know how to behave..
cause accidents that could very easily be avoided if their damn parents would learn how to be..
well,
Parents.

wishing you a speedy recovery and quick healing. <3

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 30th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I hope no bones are broken and it is a dislocation of some sort. A break at that part of the arm would take a long time to heal.

MisterGaribaldi
December 31st, 2010, 12:09 AM
Ouch!

Well, at least you weren't injured in that ski lift incident the other day.

I've actually never been skiing or snow-boarding myself. More of a swimmer, actually.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 31st, 2010, 01:04 AM
Well, at least you weren't injured in that ski lift incident the other day.

There was another incident involving a 5 year old that didn't end so well. http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2010/12/25/1420887/man-5-year-old-girl-killed-in.html

It is sad; however, people need to make sure they a aware of their surroundings and watch out for their children. I don't think it is clear who is actually at fault in the accident; however, you do have responsibility for your actions and those of your children.

Evil-Ernie
December 31st, 2010, 01:46 AM
Zowch! That looks like its gonna hurt in the morning!

Some people do forget how dangerous it can be in the mountains and kids need to be watched even on nursery slopes, I've had too many near misses involving children wandering into the way.

kaldor
December 31st, 2010, 03:13 AM
Zowch! That looks like its gonna hurt in the morning!

Some people do forget how dangerous it can be in the mountains and kids need to be watched even on nursery slopes, I've had too many near misses involving children wandering into the way.

Almost every injury I know about involving skateboarding/snowboarding/that sort of sport involves a kid being totally oblivious to their surroundings.

sandyd
December 31st, 2010, 03:23 AM
Almost every injury I know about involving skateboarding/snowboarding/that sort of sport involves a kid being totally oblivious to their surroundings.
or an mysterous tree which appears once you go down the slope :)

That happened to me. Ended up not being able to use my left hand for a longgg time.....

theraje
December 31st, 2010, 04:20 AM
Some small child (5-6) was stopped on the side. I came flying down and he came sliding out into the middle all of a sudden and there was no time to turn or stop. Instead of bowling him over I decided to cut sharp. I got too much edge and fell backwards and instinctively braced the fall with my left hand. Needless to say, that was a bad idea.

Should have just creamed the little ankle-biter and called it natural selection. ;) :P

theraje
December 31st, 2010, 04:22 AM
I hope no bones are broken and it is a dislocation of some sort. A break at that part of the arm would take a long time to heal.

I'm no doctor, but that "sag" in the arm at the wrist says to me that it's broken. :( Certainly hope I'm wrong!

Khakilang
December 31st, 2010, 05:08 AM
Wow! Hope your hand will heal in no time. Its look like you still be able to type some keys on the keyboard. But that doesn't mean outdoor sport aren't for you. No doubt all outdoor sport are dangerous just that you need to be careful. Try fishing. I think that is the safest sports. Unless you fish in a lake infested with pirhanas.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 1st, 2011, 10:32 PM
What were the results after the doctors at the base looked at it?

MisterGaribaldi
January 1st, 2011, 10:45 PM
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/demotivators/agonydemotivationalposter.jpg

Little Bones
January 2nd, 2011, 02:42 AM
I went snowboarding during Christmas leave with the family. I was on an intermediate hill I was comfortable with. Some small child (5-6) was stopped on the side. I came flying down and he came sliding out into the middle all of a sudden and there was no time to turn or stop. Instead of bowling him over I decided to cut sharp. I got too much edge and fell backwards and instinctively braced the fall with my left hand. Needless to say, that was a bad idea.

Parents should watch their kids better.

Pretty good splint, it's not like the ones that come with first aid kits are any better or more effective. Pretty swollen, so there's a fair chance of a break.

Anduu
January 2nd, 2011, 08:11 AM
Hmmmm....I have seen a wrist like that before....

Broke mine wiping out on my ATV.

It was quite an ordeal.Had to make a splint out of a tree branch and a tensor bandage.The one handed ride out of the bush took two hours and another hour to drive to the nearest hospital.All the while the first big storm of the winter was rolling in.

It was broken badly enough the docs decided to put three pins in it which they pulled after three weeks.Three more weeks in a cast and it is almost as good as new.

~LoKe
January 2nd, 2011, 09:02 PM
Wound up at the ER on Friday. They were busy and someone looked at it for 20 seconds and said it was fine. Her words, not mine.

I asked how long it would be before I should start using it normally. She said it's good to use now and that I can't cause anymore damage. I told her I needed to do pushps for work and shee told me my wrist can handle it.

I can't even move my damn hand. Getting a second opinion on Tuesday.