PDA

View Full Version : bitcoin

chris200x9
December 30th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I recently got in to the bitcoin market, I was just wondering if anyone else here trades in bitcoins. Also what are your thoughts about it in general?

Docaltmed
January 4th, 2011, 04:48 AM
I'm setting up the e-commerce section of my website, I was thinking of adding bitcoin as an accepted form of payment. Need a WordPress plugin, though.

Lightstar
January 4th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Never heard of it.
Not interested in a new form of payment.

srf21c
January 4th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I'm setting up the e-commerce section of my website, I was thinking of adding bitcoin as an accepted form of payment. Need a WordPress plugin, though.

Maybe this shopping cart for WordPress (http://www.nostate.com/3971/bitcoin-for-wp-e-commerce-shopping-cart-for-wordpress/) will help?

obinine
January 13th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I'm quite interested. I'm running a couple of GPU miners (Ubuntu of course) and setting up a Drupal-based directory.

BTW. The code is available to accept Bitcoin via Drupal's Ubercart E-commerce. See http://www.bitcoin.org/smf/index.php?topic=1920.0

Also check out the new Bitcoin Drupal group: http://groups.drupal.org/bitcoin

undecim
January 13th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Never heard of it.
Not interested in a new form of payment.

It's nothing like paypal.

From what I've read about it, it's something that sounds impossible: Anonymous, verifiable, decentralized currency based on computational power.

I think its days are numbered though. It will probably become easy to create new bitcoins when quantum computers become financially feasible. Not only that, but it will never go mainstream, and will be limited to underground markets and computer enthusiasts.

Some great work went into it though.

the.scarecrow
March 2nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
I think Bitcoin has great potential and I would like to see it become a regular form of trading currency. Its still in Beta and if your a fan of Open Source projects then why not give it a test run?

Ultimately it could provide a transaction free payment system replacing cash.

duanedesign
March 9th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Has anyone ran bitcoin on Natty? I have tried the tarball and a version from a PPA and it launches, but I get no GUI.

No I am not running the bitcoind :)

antono
April 2nd, 2011, 04:26 PM
Has anyone ran bitcoin on Natty? I have tried the tarball and a version from a PPA and it launches, but I get no GUI.

No success with GUI version :(

topgun98
April 2nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
The GUI version works just fine for me.

antono
April 2nd, 2011, 06:52 PM
The GUI version works just fine for me.

I'am on natty. Both PPA and tarball version fails to display gui :(

antono
April 2nd, 2011, 06:53 PM
It's nothing like paypal.
From what I've read about it, it's something that sounds impossible: Anonymous, verifiable, decentralized currency based on computational power.

I think its days are numbered though. It will probably become easy to create new bitcoins when quantum computers become financially feasible.

Ready Myths section in wiki:

http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Myths#Bitcoin_is_backed_by_CPU_cycles

duanedesign
April 3rd, 2011, 02:40 AM
I'am on natty. Both PPA and tarball version fails to display gui :(

OK, good to know I am not the only one. Not good because we can not get it to run but good that at least now I know the issue is not specific to me (i.e. User Failure).

I will keep messing with it, if i figure something out I will let you know.

antono
April 3rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
OK, good to know I am not the only one. Not good because we can not get it to run but good that at least now I know the issue is not specific to me (i.e. User Failure).

I will keep messing with it, if i figure something out I will let you know.

I cannot run gui however i'am ok with console version. I rebuild bitcoind from Debian and got my 0.05 free bitcoins :)

Docaltmed
April 30th, 2011, 09:11 PM
no bitcoin GUI here, either.

EDIT: Just went to Launchpad to file a bug report. The bitcoin page looked pretty empty. I now have the only bug filed there, so despite my pride at being #1, I doubt that anything else will come out of it.

Has anyone else filed a bug report, and if so, where?

aarongc
May 19th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Works great for me. I'm running 11.04, 32bit, logged into an "ubuntu classic" desktop (because Unity makes me retch). Just unzipped it, set executable bit, and execute.

cripperz
June 27th, 2011, 12:46 PM
is there a gui or you guys are just running the console mode ?

Smilax
June 27th, 2011, 02:38 PM
i run one mining rig 24/7 and while i agree with the idea, i'm a little worried at the fact that some single address have approx 100's of thousands of bitcoin. ( currently there is less than 10 million in circ ) someone's going to make a lot of money when they cash out and this will prob drive the price down unless the market grows a lot bigger than it is today.

so, i'd advice if your going to buy some, don't empty your bank account to do it.

cripperz
June 27th, 2011, 02:43 PM
this is super interesting. Well i just started minutes ago running bitcoins on my 24/7 machine which is sadly windows. I wonder if there is a good friendly GUI in Ubuntu that we can run the Bitcoin with. My Ubuntu is like running 365 days with a couple of virtual servers in it inclusive of that windows.

aeiah
June 27th, 2011, 04:37 PM
just the normal package has a gui from what i remember.

unless you can do gpu hashing or have to keep your pc running all the time anyway, it doesnt pay to mine bitcoin due to the cost of electricity.

its an interesting currency to trade on in small amounts. its pretty volatile though. i doubled my money in a month buying bitcoin.

the.scarecrow
June 27th, 2011, 05:42 PM
When Natty released, the then current Bitcoin client GUI didn't work in Unity. It did work if you were using the classic desktop though.

This was quickly fixed by the Bitcoin developers and the latest Bitcoin client works just fine in 11.04 using Unity.

kn0w-b1nary
July 6th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I got the GUI to work fine in natty, using XFCE 4.8

Now I'm trying to mine... :D

Eiji Takanaka
July 6th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I've just been reading up on this bitcoin phenomy nom nom , and i have to say it is without a doubt one of the daftest ideas i've heard ever.

O.k so money and its selfcentredness hasn't already caused enough problems in the real-world?

I know lets design a system which rewards people for using their computers, computational power to solve pointless problems, in order to safeguard the integrity of the monetary system.

Lets not bother using the combined computing power to say help forward our species as a whole. Nooooo that would be a silly thing to do.

Basically lets waste a load of resources of the human-species in order to safeguard the vested interests of those using the system.

If anything highlights how money has outlived its purpose, and how its tying up resources that could be used to further our species as a whole, then it is the bitcoin!

Eiji Takanaka
July 6th, 2011, 10:02 PM
If the problems were something useful to society, analysing bacteria, looking for extra terrestrial life, (i.e seti project) e.t.c then i would say yes o.k....its a double edged sword at least....but just trying to solve pointless problems.......Illogical waste of resources.

Eiji Takanaka
July 6th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Its like the start of a massive virus. If it takes off it in a big way and the puzzles get harder e.t.c. But they are contributing nothing to society.

Then effectively you are tying up the computational resources of the human species.

I suspect if this is the case, then it is for a reason.

sffvba[e0rt
July 7th, 2011, 12:53 AM
"TRIPLE POST!" (DOTA voice...)

marshmallow1304
July 7th, 2011, 04:50 AM
its like the start of a massive virus. If it takes off it in a big way and the puzzles get harder e.t.c. But they are contributing nothing to society.

Then effectively you are tying up the computational resources of the human species.

I suspect if this is the case, then it is for a reason.

cs,b.

Eiji Takanaka
July 7th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks marshmallow, i thought so too. =) Very good of you to give such compliments, its really nice that your positive, some people just spend their time and resources trying to undermine others...kinda like the bitcoin in a way. These people are weak.

Tempt people with the dangling golden carrot and watch them (the weak-willed ones) trample over each other to try and attain it.

We don't need another virus/further propogation of a virus, in our society though dude.

If an alien were to analyse this planet, then perhaps money would be seen as a virus, turning normally healthy symbiotic entities, into parasitic entities, draining the earth of its resources. Similar to the way cancer spreads throughout a victim.

This is further highlighted with the creation of these bit-coins. People could use their computers powers...to further society, but instead they decide to use the power to try and solve pointless problems, in order to achieve money for themselves.

Dangle that carrot.

If bit coin take off in a big way, who or what would benefit from tying the computing power of the human-species?

Divide and conquer.

marshmallow1304
July 7th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Ok then. Rational self-interest is a crime against humanity. Fair enough. :roll:

8_Bit
July 7th, 2011, 11:21 PM
It's a good concept for freeing us from tyrannical, corrupt centralized monetary systems, but in practice I don't think it will work very well. It takes forever for mining to actually produce anything for you. I've gone on the bitcoin forums and seen people posting about buying supercomputers just dedicated to bitcoin mining. That's just disturbing to me, all that money and electricity could be used for something much more productive.

But it's still new and it might work. Only time will tell. Any attempt at replacing our current monetary system with one that is completely free (as in freedom), open source, P2p and decentralized is one that deserves a fair shot!

alambpencil
August 26th, 2011, 03:03 AM
If you're into a spot of gambling, I've found a slick browser based minefield game.
You can bet BTC or play for free to get the idea.
Adding and withdrawing BTC is really quick and the whole site has a nice feel to it.

Watch out, it's really addictive!!

http://minefield.bitcoinlab.org (http://minefield.bitcoinlab.org/?r=f3Camq3xYFYwACsb)

Forum thread at bitcointalk (http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28009.0)

Also check out the Bitcoin randomizer (http://rand.bitcat.ch/?ref=194), invest 0.5BTC and earn random bitcoins in the future.

Thewhistlingwind
August 26th, 2011, 03:09 AM
I think that the idea has merit, but that bitcoin will ultimately fail.

On top of bitcoins failures however, it's successors may succeed.

orange2k
August 26th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I'm curious on how much Mhash/s do you get on Ubuntu using Diablo's GPU miner?

I'm getting around 19,6 Mhash/s...

aeiah
August 26th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I'm curious on how much Mhash/s do you get on Ubuntu using Diablo's GPU miner?

I'm getting around 19,6 Mhash/s...

is that with an ATI card? i think people can get about 10 times that or more. from what i gather, the amount you will mine without a good ATI card usually isnt worth the cost of electricity.

maybe try trading bitcoins instead. i bought £20 worth and they were up to £90 at one point - they've settled somewhat now though

orange2k
August 26th, 2011, 05:19 PM
is that with an ATI card? i think people can get about 10 times that or more. from what i gather, the amount you will mine without a good ATI card usually isnt worth the cost of electricity.

maybe try trading bitcoins instead. i bought £20 worth and they were up to £90 at one point - they've settled somewhat now though

It's just an experiment I'm running to see how bitcoin works. And no I'm not using an ATI card, just a Geforce GT 240.

Maybe I'll buy some bitcoins in the future though just to see how they work on the real market...:popcorn:

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2011, 07:32 PM

This Ask Ubuntu question thread (http://askubuntu.com/questions/47550/how-to-run-the-official-bitcoin-client) may help.

orange2k
August 28th, 2011, 04:10 PM
So finally I've mined 0.01 BTC!!!
It took me a while to figure out how the whole system works, but now I think its genious...

I'm probably going to spend this 0.01 BTC on Wikileaks, and then I'm ready to buy some bitcoins using a credit card from Virwox...

:guitar:

Carpentr
August 31st, 2011, 05:52 AM
So, after going on the Humble Indie Bundle's site I noticed that their highest donations were received from a 'Bitcoin' exchange website sort of thing. I'll admit there seems to be a lot to this bitcoin concept, and I don't fully understand it all as I've just started hearing about it tonight.

What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.bitcoin.org/

I find the concept intriguing, but wonder if it will actually work in the long run. Apparently a single Bitcoin goes for around 17.00 USD.

orange2k
August 31st, 2011, 06:17 AM
There is already a thread in the cafe on this subject...

Carpentr
August 31st, 2011, 06:35 AM
There is already a thread in the cafe on this subject...

Oh, I'm sorry, I must of missed it.

fatality_uk
August 31st, 2011, 01:03 PM
Go out, buy 100 PS3's, use the GPU's, the right bit of code and generate your own BITCOIN's. I'll pass for now!

overdrank
August 31st, 2011, 01:09 PM
Threads merged

Carpentr
September 1st, 2011, 04:17 AM
Threads merged

Thanks!

So, I've downloaded Bitcoin and have been playing around with it a little. All the sites that I have looked at that let you buy BitCoins only accept deposits via wiring it from your bank account.

Is there any way you could just buy a few bitcoins by charging it to your credit card? I thought it might be fun to buy a couple and try trading them to see what happens.