PDA

View Full Version : xp help

rburkartjo
December 30th, 2010, 06:08 PM
been using just ubuntu for years. few years ago had problems with vista(what a dog)., kept getting the error message that i had a pirated copy. i didnt bought it preinstalled on a new computer from walmart. i got a new 1 tera hard drive form a friend and going to install it and put xp on it. run my monitor to my tv so i can watch free online movies. heck when you are retired you have to save where you can. been four years since i have used windows. noticed that a lot of ya'll double boot with xp.
okay if you can recommend some problem if need. i was going to install

spyware blaster
bleachbit
spybot
maybe cccleaner
avast

and other suggestions especially for the firewall. i used to use kerio but is was bought and now not freeware.
tks

matt_symes
December 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Hi

Zone Alarm for the firewall is a free download (the rest you pay for i believe)

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/trialpay-za-signup.htm

BTW: What kind of cheese?

Kind regards

Zzl1xndd
December 30th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I haven't used Windows in a long time, but I have heard good things about MS Security Essentials:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Spybot was always good.

If you are behind a router (provided your using a desktop) then you probably don't need Firewall software. If you are using a laptop you might want something for when you are on the go.

either way I would run a quick shields up test over at www.GRC.com just to ensure your firewall is working as intended.

fibrebiz
December 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I'd strongly recommend AVG Free as the all in 1 solution to everything.

howefield
December 30th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Thread moved to the Cafe.

General Help :

All your general support questions for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu and Xubuntu.

sammiev
December 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Firefox with addblock plus and noscript.

MSE & Malwarebytes for viruses & malware.

I would just use the built in firewall unless you start having problems and then and only then start using Zone Alarm Free for the firewall.

Use GRC to confirm firewall is working. GL :)

updated *** should of added - all programs are free ***

JP121
December 30th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I like AVG Free as a good all-in-one solution.

rburkartjo
December 30th, 2010, 09:36 PM
how, tks for moving this thread wasnt sure what form to start it in

rburkartjo
December 30th, 2010, 09:39 PM
matt i made gouda ,edam, and cheddar. am retired now

GabrielYYZ
December 31st, 2010, 05:20 AM
i had a good experience with outpost firewall (http://free.agnitum.com/) back when i used windows xp. and Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty good, all things considered.

Khakilang
December 31st, 2010, 05:44 AM
I use only this to protect my Window XP. Avira anti virus, ccleaner a registery cleaner and Advanced System care. They seem ok to me but no guarantee. You can get those free. But of course the pay version is much better.

paydaydaddy
December 31st, 2010, 06:10 AM
Avira was recently top rated by consumer reports for free anti-virus. I have it on one computer and have no complaints. I like comodo for firewall although I have used ZoneAlarm with XP for years. I recommend superantispyware to be used alongside any other anti-malware software you choose. My favorite anti-spyware product is spywareblaster. It quietly runs in the background and if you do pick up some nasty that is in it's data base, the nasty is disabled.

moshu1969
December 31st, 2010, 12:04 PM
www.softpedia.com its a good choice for free or paid software. Include rating also.