PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh Install Ubuntu Server 9.10 What's My Username?

Michael-Williams
December 30th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I have installed Ubuntu Server three times now. It "NEVER" asks for a "USERNAME". I can't log in to the clean install. Guess what? I never entered a username, so I don't know what it is. Can someone please help me from pulling all my hair out? I have never logged in. Don't ask me to go to /etc/ blah blah blah, I can't log in. It is NOT a video proplem, Ubunto Server is command line OS.

Login incorrect:
[system-name] login:

Login time out after 60 seconds.

I'm asked to enter a network system name during install.
I'm asked for a password, then repeat it during install.
but never asks for a "UserName" during install.

So, what is it? root? ubuntu? default? Nope, I've tried many many many of them, even admin, nothing works.

HEEEEEEEEELP..............

TSJason
December 30th, 2010, 04:25 PM
You can always just (re)set your root password by booting into a recovery mode. The easiest way IMO (sans any extra discs) is by changing your grub boot option for a one time boot with a different init. Check this post for details:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=3609

Michael-Williams
January 7th, 2011, 10:26 AM
You can always just (re)set your root password by booting into a recovery mode. The easiest way IMO (sans any extra discs) is by changing your grub boot option for a one time boot with a different init. Check this post for details:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=3609
Didn't you read my question? I need to know the "USERNAME" ON A FRESH INSTALL!!!!! "username" How do I find out the ""USERNAME"? I KNOW THE PASSWORD. Hello? The install doesn't ask for a "USERNAME"!!!!! I don't know the "USERNAME" How do I find this out? Read again please. I don't have time for people that don't read and "understand" the question. The username would help. Is there a /bin/bash for that? Please. I am locked out, not knowing my "username" It's the "username" that I need to know.

Hint: I need to find out what my username is, not the password.

Michael,
the dude that isn't asked for a "USERNAME" during install.

TSJason
January 7th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Michael,

Apparently you're actually "the dude who didn't read my response."

Let me clear it up for you:

You can always just (re)set your root password

If you try really (and I mean REALLY) hard and read between the lines here you'll see that I said the username is "root"

If you're not certain who the superuser is on a Linux system perhaps you should try doing a little more reading. I would highly suggest that if you're going to be using this system in any sort of production environment.

Good luck getting any more help while being so rude.

waltz72d
January 25th, 2011, 07:01 PM
good answer. don't e rude