PDA

View Full Version : PC World talking linux again

ronnielsen1
December 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM
They seem to talk about it an awful lot lately (Still in the business section)

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/214929/how_you_know_when_its_time_to_switch_to_linux.html

You wake up one day and realize you're tired of paying for an operating system that's more bogged down with bugs than most alpha builds are. What, exactly, are you paying for here? Then, of course, there's also all the antivirus software you have to buy to keep it running. With Linux, on the other hand, countless developers around the world are working around the clock to keep the 100 percent free operating system at the head of its class.

Your older hardware probably still is fundamentally pretty good; too bad there's all that malware dragging it down. Thanks for sharing that love, Windows! Note to Microsoft: a stronger permissions system (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/202452/why_linux_is_more_secure_than_windows.html) would have been a lot better, just FYI.

Is Linux perfect? Certainly not. But it is a lot better than Windows in so many ways. Isn't it time for you to finally make the switch?

Evil-Ernie
December 30th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Interesting link, thanks :)

Linux in business makes perfect sense to me. I use Ubuntu at home for my accounts, correspondence, internet access, design, you name it! Solid and dependeble and no legal issues with using the software. I even use it live now for my gigs!

It still pains me that for my day job I'm still stuck with using MS. Only a few months back my cash strapped mental health trust had to pay thousands of pounds to get 1 copy of AutoCAD LT for our estates department. I have been happily looking and modifying the same drawings at home on qcad for over 2 years for free!

So IMO not only should business look at the Linux solution but also our public services here in the UK, it could save the taxpayer a lot of money and maybe few people their jobs...

matt_symes
December 30th, 2010, 12:34 PM
PCWorld are on a Linux mission at the moment. They are mainstream and people believe what they have to say so only good can come from this.

Spice Weasel
December 30th, 2010, 12:50 PM
delete

ronnielsen1
December 30th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I don't even know what they are trying to do here by advertising Linux, but knowing that that would be a disadvantage to them (they make most of their money selling crapware) makes me instantly not trust them.

You really don't like them do you. From browsing the newstands in the last few months, it seems that most of their bonus cd's are full of open source programs that are free off of the net

Spice Weasel
December 30th, 2010, 01:08 PM
You really don't like them do you. From browsing the newstands in the last few months, it seems that most of their bonus cd's are full of open source programs that are free off of the net

Stupid moment, sorry. I just realized this was about the magazine. It's good they are promoting free software.

matt_symes
December 30th, 2010, 01:09 PM
l

Evil-Ernie
December 30th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Stupid moment, sorry. I just realized this was about the magazine.

I thought that same as well (confused with the store of the same name) until I read the article :lolflag:

m4tic
December 30th, 2010, 02:00 PM
i've seen only K Noyes write Linux related articles

ronnielsen1
January 1st, 2011, 01:12 PM
i've seen only K Noyes write Linux related articles

You got my curiosity up. She's not the only one.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/215236/ubuntu_linux_tablet_spotted_on_chinese_site.html

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147879/move_your_business_from_windows_to_linux.html

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/201842/why_ubuntu_linux_is_a_good_business_choice.html

alexan
January 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

System updated and.. oh, btw all your software too :guitar:

I need no PC World to tell me how much linux is better than Windows. Nice article tho

weasel fierce
January 1st, 2011, 09:20 PM
One mind at a time :)

tgalati4
January 1st, 2011, 10:10 PM
Reading the comments is interesting as well. It's enlightening to see how linux mindshare is growing--less speculation and more hands-on experience when comparing Windows issues vs linux issues.

trinitydan
January 1st, 2011, 11:02 PM
:shock:WOW! They really are on a Linux mission! I agree that no harm can come of it. I grew up around PC Magazine and PC World. Some of the first mention I read of Linux was in the pages of PC Magazine back in the early nineties as a pre-/teen and it was part of what planted the seed of curiosity to try out Linux in the future.

Reading the comments is interesting as well. It's enlightening to see how linux mindshare is growing--less speculation and more hands-on experience when comparing Windows issues vs linux issues.
Absolutely! This is very exciting! It seems the tipping point is drawing near when people will be switching to Linux at a much faster rate. Good news for the first day of the new year! :D

MisterGaribaldi
January 1st, 2011, 11:16 PM
Linux needs a three-pronged plan to be successful on the desktop:

1. Standardize on one single set of (preferably) best-of-breed frameworks (audio, video, package management, etc.)
2. Get compelling business software developed for it;
3. Realize that they NEED to compete against Apple for the "digital lifestyle" aspect of things.

If the Linux community in general and the Linux dev community in particular refuses to recognize these are REQUIREMENTS and not mere SUGGESTIONS, then we will continue to flounder.

I feel like I keep saying this, and now I'm thinking about making it part of my signature, but...

"Good luck with that."

weasel fierce
January 1st, 2011, 11:24 PM

1. Standardize on one single set of (preferably) best-of-breed frameworks (audio, video, package management, etc.)
3. Realize that they NEED to compete against Apple for the "digital lifestyle" aspect of things.

If the Linux community in general and the Linux dev community in particular refuses to recognize these are REQUIREMENTS and not mere SUGGESTIONS, then we will continue to flounder.

I feel like I keep saying this, and now I'm thinking about making it part of my signature, but...

"Good luck with that."

I think the current situation has been massively successfull. I certainly wouldn't call it "floundering" unless you are operating under an assumption that linux is only about the consumer desktop.

The question is... "linux who?"

Which developers?

The KDE guys?
Red hat?
Canonical?
The US government?
Intel?

perspectoff
January 1st, 2011, 11:31 PM
So IMO not only should business look at the Linux solution but also our public services here in the UK, it could save the taxpayer a lot of money and maybe few people their jobs...

Like several French and German government agencies did. I believe the French parliament now uses Kubuntu, as does the police force, I think.

Kolab groupware was developed for Linux by German government grants/support.

Many, many supercomputers use Linux, making it suitable for large national health record infrastructure.

My favorite recent story is about the largest supercomputer being made by the US military (?Air Force) by installing Linux on old discarded PS2s (I think about 1720 of them) and networking them into a huge supercomputer.

trinitydan
January 1st, 2011, 11:39 PM

"Good luck with that."
Well, I don't agree with that at all, but that's OK, everyone is entitled to their own opinion! :D You can just say "Good luck with that" and watch from the sidelines while Linux takes over the market share. I on the other hand will jump right in and embrace it. Linux is not floundering. I have been using Ubuntu for the past few years and I have watched it become the user friendly distro that it is and I honestly believe that RIGHT NOW it is capable of massive mainstream acceptance and is in the process of going that direction. Have you been watching the market shares? These aren't some projections about what might happen down the road. It is happening right now, despite the fact that Microsoft operating systems are being jammed down peoples throats on most all computer purchases. Once the tipping point has been reached and manufacturers embrace Linux as the people already have, then we'll see about your "good luck with that". :D

A funny aside, I bet a friend of mine $100 when Vista came out that it would drive more people to Linux. He thought that it would be the thing that pushed Apples OSX into the lead. If you have been paying attention at all you know who won the $100.

I am an idealist. I believe in Linux and open source software and it's ability to change the world for the greater good.