PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the 'mystery' Ubuntu Tablet?

rich52x
December 30th, 2010, 11:50 AM
According to

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/12/more-details-emerge-on-mystery-ubuntu-tablet/

there is a new, pretty swanky tablet in the works for a spring 2011 release, sporting a 1.6Ghz Atom CPU, 2 Gigs of RAM and a 32GB SSD. There's also a 10.1 inch, capacitive, multitouch screen there too, amongst other things like bluetooth and built in webcam.What do you think of it? Do you like the idea of an Ubuntu Tablet? Should there be more out there?

Evil-Ernie
December 30th, 2010, 12:11 PM
The tablet craze is a bit of a mystery to me, I just dont see the benefits of them.
On my commute to and from work I see quite a few people now with iPads, they all seem to struggle to use them comfortably and considering they are no more than a big expensive iPhone I dont see the point.

Even with the spec of a full laptop (minus the keyboard) I fail to see the appeal.
If you want portable minimal computing get a smartphone, if you want a full PC on the move get a laptop with a touchscreen.

Paqman
December 30th, 2010, 12:30 PM
1.6Ghz Atom CPU

No ARM = boo.

Other than that, i'll believe it when I see it. I suspect this device (if it makes it to the shops at all) will only see the light of day in east Asia.

Ric_NYC
December 30th, 2010, 01:25 PM
the tablet craze is a bit of a myst(e)ry to me, i just dont see the benefits of them.

+1

Dragonbite
December 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Looks interesting.

There are times I would prefer a tablet, but I am also getting a better idea since I am using the Chrome OS Cr-48 notebook and getting comfortable with the quick-on, light size.

I can see the Chrome OS environment working well on a tablet. Biggest weakness I see is the loss of a keyboard.

del_diablo
December 30th, 2010, 06:29 PM
No ARM = boo.

Other than that, i'll believe it when I see it. I suspect this device (if it makes it to the shops at all) will only see the light of day in east Asia.

I agree on this one :(