PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Effects Could Not Be Enabled

Yomama1994
December 30th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Hey guys I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 using Oracle Virtual Box on a Toshiba Satelite L305 S5955, and when i try to use Docky on Ubuntu it says Composite has to be enabled and idk how to do this. Also when i try to change my Virtual Effects it says "Desktop effect could not be enabled." Please Help.

Krytarik
January 2nd, 2011, 03:20 AM
I don't know much about Virtual Box, but you can only enable desktop effects if you are able to enable hardware-acceleration for your video card/chip.

eddiemernard
January 2nd, 2011, 08:52 AM
Just to let you know I'm not in fact familiar with oracle virtual box so I cannot give a relative advice pertaining to that. You may want to look at this site https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/16138 and hopefully it would help.

Kalimol
January 2nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Most likely, Ubuntu isn't jiving with the graphics support in VirtualBox. I've never had any luck with the graphics support in VB, and I know they've improved somewhat, but it's equivalent to having a seriously stone age graphics card in the VM. Compiz (the Gnome compositor) needs more juice than that. I haven't played with the new graphics acceleration features, but they'll probably require some tweaking to get the guest OS to recognize them.

Not that it matters, but what's the host - Windows?