PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error installing from live usb

830hobbes
December 30th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to ubuntu (used the 32 bit as my main OS for the last two months) and recently ran into some issues. My the battery of my netbook (dell mini 9) died while the computer was hibernating. not sure what happened but it wouldnt start up again. i got some error about not enough memory and was dropped into the grub command line. i ran a memory test and things checked out fine. i loaded up an ubuntu live usb and tried to fix what was wrong. i was able to get the files i needed from the drive but i wasnt able to fix the filesystem (i didnt try too hard, i dont mind reinstalling). when i went to reinstall ubuntu, the installation would go about half way then stop and say something like "Errno 5 input/output error". Loading up the live usb again, i did the usb integrity check in the boot options and it said it found an error in one file. loading up a live session,i went into nautilus and it showed that 300 some MB had been copied to my drive (an ssd).

My question is threefold:
1) does it sound like my drive is dead/dying or just that i need to rewrite the live usb for a proper installation?
2) since i dont have access to another computer for some days, is there any way to find and replace the erroneous file from a live session?
3) long shot, but assuming my drive is functioning just fine, what could have caused the original crash?

thanks for your help!

- hobbes