PDA

View Full Version : Fedora first impression

degarb
December 30th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I was pulling my hair out googling my video chipset compatibility with Fedora. I found one unanswered post in fedora forum. So, I registered and posted asking if someone would answer, as I was wishing to try fedora.

I was almost thrown off board for answering a 18 month old post!! What, do questions just go away if we ignore them?

Needless to say, I won't be test that OS anytime soon.

OTH, the understanding of the everyday frustration of getting linux to work, here is great.

Sef
December 30th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Moved to the Community Cafe.

kaldor
December 30th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Fedora's a great OS; without it, Ubuntu would not be as advanced.

Fedora uses the latest bleeding edge Free software selections. All fixes get sent back upstream. Also, it doesn't allow proprietary software in its repos; causes issues for stuff like drivers.

coffeecat
December 30th, 2010, 12:04 PM
@degarb, I offer the comments below in a kindly way.

I was almost thrown off board for answering a 18 month old post!! What, do questions just go away if we ignore them?

Very nearly two years old, in fact (http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=211913). Thrown off the board? The thread was closed firmly but courteously by an administrator in the way that a necromanced thread would have been on this forum.

You made four mistakes. You committed thread necromancy which is frowned on by most well-run boards. You necromanced as a first-time poster with a very brief post which raises suspicion of proto-spam. You resuscitated a thread in which the OP asks questions about two versions of Fedora (9 and 10) which have now passed end-of-life. Your attempt at humour (if that is what is was) comes across as sarcasm.

You would have done better to have started your own thread simply asking whether there was a problem with the 82845G/GL chipset in current versions of Fedora. It would have been a valid question because of the issues with the Intel 8** series in Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 - very likely with the same/similar combination of video driver and xserver. Such a question would probably have received courteous and constructive replies.

Needless to say, I won't be test that OS anytime soon.

So you are going to deprive yourself of the experience of an excellent distro because of one little forum misunderstanding?

Spice Weasel
December 30th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Troll or not, this is going to end in a flame war... Well done for starting this thread. :mad:

Incidentally, coffeecat is 100% correct.

98cwitr
December 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Fedora is a great OS, I especially am fond of it on laptops since it's slightly less bloated than Ubuntu, requiring less system resources, and (thankfully now) has great wifi support.

inobe
December 30th, 2010, 05:37 PM
i brought a thread back before and got yelled at, i apologized and asked why, they explained, it was left at that.

after my apology they figured i just didn't know which was true.

there are rite ways to go about it,

wojox
December 30th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Almost doesn't count. :p

degarb
December 30th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Necomancy? This is very funny.

We all have 130 issues, 30 issues we are concious about, hitting us parallel at once. It is a juggling act. Thus, things are miscommunicated and humor exchanged for the literal. Or, just, under polished or expressed, as my post here.

Necromancy: well, I don't feel the age of a thread should be the measuring stick. Rather, if something can be added of pertinence. After all, 90 percent of our solutions to problems are solved by googling threads posted years ago, under older linux distros. Otherwise, should we prohibit googling anything over a year of age?

I like that people like Fedora. In Googling Fedora, it gets a bad rap, the reviews hint at over moderator egos, which leads to over cautious and lack luster support from the userbase. For me and most new users, any single issue can kill my usage of any piece of equipment, due to faith, time, or patience. So, userbase is far mor important than the product.

mkendall
December 30th, 2010, 11:18 PM
there are rite ways to go about it,

Possibly unintentional, but still quite funny.

matt_symes
December 30th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Die thread, Die