PDA

View Full Version : Google Voice - aaving on SMS fees with an Android phone?

noah++
December 30th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Hi,

I've just bought a new Android phone, my first smartphone. I need to choose services to go with it. On T-Mobile, a $30 unlimited data plan seems to be mandatory if I'm to use Android apps. Fine. Then unlimited texting is $10 monthly; otherwise you pay per message sent or received.

I transceive about 100 to 400 SMS messages per month. But if I'm already paying $30 for data, I'd rather save the $10. It occurred to me I could use the Google Voice app to send and receive free messages through Google. Google can also forward voice calls to my phone. So I can have a single outgoing and incoming number from Google...

...except I don't want to rely on the data network for the duration of my calls. So I don't want to initiate calls through Google Voice. That means my friends will still be seeing my cell phone number on their Caller ID, which means they need to keep my old number in their cell phone's address book to identify me when I call. It seems like a lot to ask of all of them to remember not to SMS me at that number, especially when that is the most convenient way to respond to a missed call from that number. (Whereas if I could use Google Voice for all calls, I could give everyone my new Google number and tell them to forget my actual cell phone number.)

Can you think of a good sociological or technological solution here? (Or does calling through Google Voice not require the data network for the duration of my call?)

treesurf
December 30th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Google Voice does not require the data network for the duration of the call. And it is a very good solution for sending SMS.

noah++
December 30th, 2010, 05:18 AM
That is very good to know. Thanks.

treesurf
December 30th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Sorry, I should clarify. Google Voice does require a data connection in order to initiate the call, but once the call is connected it is using your regular voice calling plan, and not the data connection.

noah++
December 30th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Thanks, that is what I understood you to mean.

aysiu
December 30th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Also, if it isn't able to connect for whatever reason, it'll prompt you to make the call without Google Voice. I haven't had that problem in many months now, though.

Definitely go with Google Voice for free texting (and lots of other cool features).

Johnsie
December 30th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Sadly Google voice is one of those applications that are restricted by location, only working in some countries. You'd think in the days of the World Wide Web that there would be less digital borders, but sadly where money is involved borders seem to go up pretty quickly. This is understandable in this case because different countries have different phone tariffs, but this kind of thing grinds my gears.

noah++
January 2nd, 2011, 09:01 AM
Free Google Voice text messages or free health care? I'm just glad this is America. :guitar:

Lucradia
January 2nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
By the way, is there a step-by-step guide on how to use google voice for SMS instead of signing up for a google voice number (As there are no numbers in my area)?

noah++
January 2nd, 2011, 09:56 AM
Well, you have to sign up for a Google Voice number to use Google Voice. But once you do that, there's an option to have either your cell phone number or your Google Voice number sent to the recipient as caller ID in SMS messages. It's Settings → Voice settings → Calls → Caller ID (outgoing). Hope that helps.

aysiu
January 2nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
By the way, is there a step-by-step guide on how to use google voice for SMS instead of signing up for a google voice number (As there are no numbers in my area)?
You cannot use Google Voice for SMS without signing up for a GV number.

Some Google Voice features are available without signing up for a GV number.

Other features are available only by signing up for a GV number.

Lucradia
January 2nd, 2011, 11:42 PM
You cannot use Google Voice for SMS without signing up for a GV number.

Some Google Voice features are available without signing up for a GV number.

Other features are available only by signing up for a GV number.

Thanks man, I've found an area code number that is not listed as part of a city or town, but still within my area code.