PDA

View Full Version : Unix in a nutshell

sunde887
December 30th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I recently ordered this book off of amazon(it was only worth 4 dollars with shipping) and I was wondering if it's any good for a beginner?

I just finished dual booting ubuntu 10.10, and I feel pretty lost, Ive seen a lot of stuff about linux and really want to know if it would be a better use of my time to read online over reading Unix in a nutshell.

forrestcupp
December 30th, 2010, 04:26 AM
It'll probably help, but since Linux isn't Unix, there will be a lot that is different. I'd just read some of the online help pages you can find around here that are specific to Ubuntu.

Hur Dur
December 30th, 2010, 04:30 AM
The internet is the best source of GNU/Linux information for me. Why? With the internet, if you have a question, you can simply ask somebody for help. With a book, what you see is what you get.

SunnyRabbiera
December 30th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Just ask questions, the community will help if possible.

sunde887
December 30th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Alright thanks, My problem with using the internet is it can get overwhelming to find where to start. Things I see for beginners has many links, I am probably going to start with the ubuntu pocket guide. Im sure Ill be back with plenty of questions.

Brent0
December 30th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Alright thanks, My problem with using the internet is it can get overwhelming to find where to start. Things I see for beginners has many links, I am probably going to start with the ubuntu pocket guide. Im sure Ill be back with plenty of questions.

I know what you mean. Many online tutorials are very lengthy and confusing and don't properly teach you. They tell you how to do it instead of telling you what you are doing.

SunnyRabbiera
December 30th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Well the ubuntu pocket guide isnt too bad. but this topic has a lot of suggestions:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=801404

lancest
December 30th, 2010, 11:02 AM
IMHO some books are for reading cover to cover and, others ideal for picking through getting some tips.

Mark Sobell's Linux books are for reading through complete, especially if you are new to Linux.
Unix Power Tools on the other hand is for someone who is looking for tips on how to quickly improve on something. (Vi, Grep, Awk - of course the list is endless.)

Don't let yourself get overwhelmed by the complexity of there being so much Unix to learn.

Focus on small daily learning experiences that add up over time.

koenn
December 30th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I recently ordered this book off of amazon(it was only worth 4 dollars with shipping) and I was wondering if it's any good for a beginner?

I just finished dual booting ubuntu 10.10, and I feel pretty lost, Ive seen a lot of stuff about linux and really want to know if it would be a better use of my time to read online over reading Unix in a nutshell.

Read the book.
It will probably not tell you where to click to get firefox in a gnome desktop, but some broad insight in how things are done "in unix" will help you understand your linux better. You will probably also come across a few things that you never knew existed, or were possible.

Online tuts and questions on forums are great for specific problems, but it helps a lot if you have some background. A book like "unix in a nutshell" can provide that background, although "linux in a nutshell" would probably have been an better choice.

Red Kelly
December 30th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Well the ubuntu pocket guide isnt too bad. but this topic has a lot of suggestions:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=801404
Thanks for this :smile: verry helpfull.
There does need to be a bit more teaching to fish rather than handing them out.
I'm having problems with networking and most of the stuff I find is a bit out of date. I suppose it is a problem with the quick upgrading of ubuntu.
I'm not complaining just my observations.

sent17inel
December 30th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Well if you get tired of learning to fish and hit a brick wall. you can instant message me. I'd be happy to give you some help. Mostly because I remember how I would have killed to have someone help me back in the day.

Hexley
December 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Just to be clear... You bought Linux in a nutshell not Unix?
Because there is a Linux book too...

sunde887
December 30th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Unfortunately I was not aware and bought unix in a nutshell, it was only a penny plus shipping so no problem either way, I may have to see about picking up a copy of linux in a nutshell as well.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.