PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] build your own minimal ubuntu without internet?

rolypolycat
December 30th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Hello!

I want to do a minimal install of ubuntu, and add bits and pieces I need. When I use a regular install(xubuntu), the install has no problem finding my wireless card. The minimal install is a different story; after loading and installing from the alternate cd, it then can't find my wireless or any connection. It wants me to specify stuff about my network which, as a network newbie, I haven't the foggiest idea what to tell it.
Now, if I've been reading these posts correctly, I can use the standard ubuntu install disk to download software to my minimal install? Should I just comment out everything in sources but the full install cd, and take it from there? (At least until I get a window manager and metwork manager running; the one for xubuntu seems to have no trouble finding my usb wireless at all.. The trick is getting it onto the machine in the first place.)
Or should I use an install from this aptoncd I've read about, and if so, how? I simply want to build a sleek system with little cruft, and I've never had any trouble doing this with the minimal install until I went wireless at my new place. I have no physical ethernet connection I can use.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

f3nr1c
January 8th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Hello!

I want to do a minimal install of ubuntu, and add bits and pieces I need. When I use a regular install(xubuntu), the install has no problem finding my wireless card. The minimal install is a different story; after loading and installing from the alternate cd, it then can't find my wireless or any connection. It wants me to specify stuff about my network which, as a network newbie, I haven't the foggiest idea what to tell it.
Now, if I've been reading these posts correctly, I can use the standard ubuntu install disk to download software to my minimal install? Should I just comment out everything in sources but the full install cd, and take it from there? (At least until I get a window manager and metwork manager running; the one for xubuntu seems to have no trouble finding my usb wireless at all.. The trick is getting it onto the machine in the first place.)
Or should I use an install from this aptoncd I've read about, and if so, how? I simply want to build a sleek system with little cruft, and I've never had any trouble doing this with the minimal install until I went wireless at my new place. I have no physical ethernet connection I can use.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thrown to the wolves and no replies I see. Well, I am in the same situation as you, and have a few ideas I am going to try. If I am successful, I will report back. :)

rolypolycat
March 8th, 2011, 02:10 AM
I found an ubuntu based distro called Bodhi linux that uses Enlightenment for the desktop. It only installs firefox, e17, and a few utilities. It also uses the ubuntu repositories. Great distro so far!:p